Mitsu table any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ubsman, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

What were these new?

Attached Files:

2. I'm not sure about their turntables, but if the build quality is anything like their late model Mitsubishi FUSO trucks (bad brakes, glove box doors that fall off, etc), I wouldn't want any part of it. Actually, I did find a throwaway Mitsubishi linear tracker setup from the 80s - the one that could be stood up on end (but unfortunately, it was too messed up by it's previous owner to fix, so I parted it out). Construction-wise, it seemed to be made reasonably well. Not sure of the electronics or whether service would be necessary (or available) for such a turntable. Best wishes.

3. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

The better Mitsubishi stuff is well made. I have a first generation DP-101 CD player circa 1983 and it's built like the proverbial tank. Made to last. Amazing stuff.

Their electronics, specially the stuff made in the late 1970's was very good also. In Japan they went by the trade name "Diatone".

If the turntable weighs more than 20 lbs it's probably of good quality.

4. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

Am I right in thinking that 70's Mitsubishi equipment were also tagged MGA?

5. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Yeah, that's correct. The earliest Mitsubishi units were distributed by MGA in the USA and used the name along with the familiar three diamond logo. By 1980 they were simply branded "Mitsubishi"...

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

It sure sold fast. I guess I should have checked into it although I'd rather find a good Thorens or Dual.

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Thorens 'tables sound great and are very well built (the ones I've heard, anyway,) but they can be a real b#tch to set up—keep that in mind if you're not inclined to fiddling with things (IME, YMMV, etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.