Mitsubishi LT-100 Turntable belt replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by siveld, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siveld

siveld Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have had this turntable for about 30 years. Originally it was part of an integrated system. The turntable stopped working, and as I was more into CD's at the time I didn't attempt to get it fixed. Over time the rest of the system (multi-CD changer and self-contained amplifier) gradually died over time. I kept the broken turntable and the speakers, and disposed of the rest of it.

I recently decided to get back into vinyl as I have a decent collection of around 700 albums, mainly from the 70's and 80's. I have ordered and received a replacement belt for it, but for the life of me cannot figure out how
    to remove the spindle clip which seems to be locking the platter into place. Searching on youtube, nobody seems to have the same turntable. Similar ones show using a flat screwdriver to pop it off. This doesn't seem to
    work for me. I am somewhat technically challenged at the bets of times, so any advice would be appreciated.

I also expect to have to get a pre-amp to go with it, as my Panasonic amp does not have a phono input.
    So advice here would also be great.

2. siveld

3. siveld

4. siveld

Managed to upload the above two images of the spindle/clip.

5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It looks like a fairly standard c-clip. There are tools made to remove these. It is hard to tell from your photos if the clip has the holes for the pins on a standard removal tool to fit into. If not, you can get this one out with a needle nose plier by carefully applying outward pressure on both ears at the same time.

There's a bunch of youtube clips showing how to deal with these.

6. siveld

7. siveld

I have a couple of extra pics posted above, which hopefully better show the opposite sides from a better angle.
    I want to be sure that I am getting the right tool to remove the clip. I don't think I have the needle nose type pliers.

8. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I'd try a small flat blade screwdriver first, put it in one of the openings and twist gently. The goal is to spread the clip and slide it away from the spindle.

drew phillips likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.