Mitsubishi turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Josiah, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josiah

Josiah New Member Thread Starter

Hi All!
    My name is Josiah, I live in Cornwall in the UK. I've been reading on the forum for a couple weeks and found it all so interesting, I figured I'd better join! I haven't had a turntable since I was a kid and made a frankenstein out of a few broken TT's I found in my attic! I've just bought an old mitsubishi LT-703 on Ebay for £14 - it's pretty basic but I'd love for someone to take a glance as I can't find any info about it online (I guess that's not a good sign!)

I'm no audiophile, just a music lover looking to upgrade my experience. I know this thing isn't going to sound anything like what most of you guys are talking about, but it's what my budget allows right now! I'd still like to hear any info on it and any tips on what I could do to get whatever I can out of it. Are there any basic upgrades I could work towards over time? Thanks in advance for any input!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Hi Josiah! Welcome to SH.TV. Your turntable looks quite similar to the first turntable I had - a Nexxtech Lab-1100. They probably came from the same OEM (Hanpin in China) - some other similar models are Pioneer PL-990, Audio Technica AT-LP60, Denon DP-29F etc. It will get you started back into the world of vinyl, but you will probably want to upgrade quickly once you get more into it. These turntables are typically not user-adjustable - the tracking force is already set at the factory and you will be limited using the provided cartridge. The other drawback would be the high tracking force on your records - typically close to 5 grams. That being said though, I have records that I played dozens of times on the Nexxtech and they still play perfectly today. As long as everything is in working order, start playing some records and enjoy! But do be forewarned this is not a cheap hobby. :D

3. Josiah

Thanks for the reply. I get the feeling that a lot of my money could disappear into this over time! Is there any use try to add a little weight to the back of the tone-arm to reduce the tracking force? I knew someone who glued a penny there for that purpose!

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Not to rain on your parade, but if my brother asked me how to keep his vinyl in the best of shape, Id' tell him to buy at least a TT equipped with anti-skating and adjustable tracking force. And a brand new stylus. That's essential if and only if you want your vinyl in top conditions. If you're not as picky as me or most TT users, your Mitsubishi will suffice. But honestly, I'd only play beat up LPs and singles on it.
    It's not about being an audiophile or not, it's about keeping your vinyl damage-free as much as possible. I haven't a high end turntable, just an old Pioneer PL -512X (with a Shure M91 MGD cart) that I bought used but fully serviced. The buyer also gave me a replacement for the stylus but I didn't allow it to touch my vinyl and bought a Jico needle instead. It may look expensive, but it's way better than replacing your LPs and singles because they were damaged by a not properly aligned cartridge and TT. And since we're at it, I'd say buy a stroboscope disc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIOSILE...Home_Audio_Impianti_HI_FI&hash=item3a8289b49d

disclaimer: not affiliated to the seller.

Sorry for the long post but I can't stress enough how important this is to take care of your vinyl.
    In some weeks, months or even years you'll want to upgrade, buy a better tonearm, a better turntable or a very expensive stylus; always possible depending on how much you want to spend. What can't be upgraded is a damaged record.

All imho, of course.:)

5. Josiah

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not really. More of a lateral move. If all you have are thrift store beaters simply find out the replacement stylus for the cartridge on the turntable you already have. I have a turntable sharing many of the features of your turntable, not much can be done about the wow and flutter of that table. From what I've read, the Audio Technica 120 USB is the best new turntable for less than $300. You can find blemished or refurbished models for $200. The arm of the AT 120 is fully adjustable, the speed is dead-on accurate and with a simple modification the built in [and sonically compromised] phono pre-amp can be bypassed. The cartridge that comes with the AT 120 is pretty good and will safely play new vinyl without damage.

7. Josiah

OK - I was thinking the adjustable tonearm with anti skate would help save some records. Thanks for speaking up guys! I'll take a look at that Audio Technica 120 and maybe start saving a little here and there!

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If you're lucky, that Pioneer would be a lot better than the Mitsubishi. But you would have to be lucky. Here, by the way, is a relevant review of the AT 'table:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree with most points above, I had a Pioneer PL-990 (similar design to the OP's) and found that I needed to move on. Another <$300 I hear good things about:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-9826-music-hall-usb-1-turntable.aspx

Of course depending on what you can stumble upon, vintage can be the bigger bang for your buck. Do you have support close by for set up/maintenance? That can be a big factor in your final decision.

10. Josiah

That review has convinced me! Although if I'm gonna start saving I'm wonder if I should save for an extra year and go for the Project Debut Carbon - who knows! I've got a kid on the way so my budget isn't gonna grow any time soon!
    So if I have to get a year or two out of this old mitsubishi and some thrift store beaters... what about what I mentioned above - trying to reduce the tracking force with a penny on the back of the tonearm. Is that crazy?

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

This is crazy and would be likely to increase damage to the grooves. More to the point, find out what cartridge is in that arm. If it's what it appears to be from your photo, it's a bottom of the line conical Audio Technica cartridge. Replacing the stylus will do more good for your records and for the sound of that turntable than anything else you can do, shy of getting a different turntable. Even tracking at 5 grams [more likely 3, btw] that 'table will do minimal damage as long as the stylus is not damaged.

I've got three functional turntables right now, one is very similar to yours, another is a Sansui 212, a nice vintage 'table that happens to run 2% slow. The best 'table is a Strathclyde 305m with a SME III arm, Shure 97 cartridge tracking at 1.25 grams. The difference in sound quality between these three 'tables is obvious.

12. Josiah

Good to know! I'll forget that idea.
    the cartridge on the mitsubishi? Whatever it is I think it's pretty generic and takes the most generic stylus you can get for about £9 online. I plan to replace that immediately.

Robin L likes this.
  13. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

There are (lower tracking force) upgrades around for this type of stylus, but I'm not sure whether they're easy to get in the UK. See here for an elliptical option, there's Hyper Elliptical and Jico Shibata options as well if you look at the bottom (the latter certainly overkill on the Mitsubishi, but would work miracles on the Pioneer - when taking your chances with 30 year old electronics/fine mechanics). If working with a penny (or whatever) on the counterweight to accommodate a lighter tracking stylus on the Mistsu, you'll need a tracking force scale, as this isn't something you can eyeball. Don't do this with the original stylus however, which is designed for the preset tracking force. Tracking too light (below the stylus' specifications) will also damage your records.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Don't bother trying to change the tracking force on the Mitsubishi, that arm obviously was not designed to deal with anything but the stock cartridge that's attached to it already, and designed to track at higher than average downward force. As the overhang on that arm is not adjustable, don't even think of putting an elliptical or Shibata stylus on it, it will only make matters worse. In order to hear any advantage with the different stylus profiles you need a fully adjustable tonearm and either the ability to set up the 'table properly or knowing someone who can make the adjustments for you. If you're just starting out in LPs you would be better off getting the AT 120 and the not half-bad elliptical cartridge that comes with it.

15. Josiah

awesome! That looks like just what I need! I read somewhere on here that cheaper elliptical needles can do more harm to records. Is that not something I need to worry about at this point?

16. Josiah

The AT 120 is definitely in my sights, but its gonna take some saving up!

Robin L likes this.
  17. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I wouldn't put an elliptical stylus on the Mitsubishi turntable. The tracking force is likely too high to accomodate one and the stylus will just end up bouncing around in the groove. Stick with a conical for that one.

The AT-LP120 comes with the AT95E cartridge which is a very well-liked budget cartridge with an elliptical tip. It was my primary cartridge until my recent upgrade and has served me very well.

Robin L likes this.
  18. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

I don't think so. With mild ellipticals (like cheaper ones are), the slightly shorter contact patch (front to back) is offset by a bit longer (vertical) contact area as well. So there wouldn't be much in it here, only with very sharp ellipticals (the expensive ones) it might be sensible to consider an even longer "linear contact" profile instead. I agree with the others that there's probably no benefit in using an elliptical on the Mitsubishi, but since you will renew the needle anyway and in the interest of reducing record wear, I still go for one of the lighter tracking hi-fi alternatives. A genuine Audio Technica ATN91 stylus (or the identical Rega Carbon, if you want it to look a bit classier) both have a recommended tracking force of 2.0 grams. Your records will thank you for it, at least for the time being until you can upgrade the turntable. A few extra grams on the counterweight (attach them at the back or even on the bottom if you can, to keep the center of gravity low) and a cheap tracking force scale (like the one from Ortofon), I don't see why that wouldn't work.

19. Josiah

Thanks for the input Antares! The rega carbon looks like an excellent option.
    Let me see if I understand: I could use it to get a little more out of my mitsubishi and it would go easier on my records, but I would need to make sure the tracking force matched the recommended pressure for that cartridge. I could do that by getting a tracking pressure gauge and adding tiny bits of weight to the back if the tonearm until it matches up. Is that right?

Everybody, thanks for being so willing to help a complete newbie!!

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It would probably add up to a lot more trouble than it's worth to attempt to change the stylus downward tracking force/swapping out cartridge—There's no way to adjust overhang with the Mitsubishi 'table, no real point in replacing the cartridge on the 'table without being able to install it correctly. If you're a newbie, you don't want to attempt a kludge. Just find the replacement stylus for the cartridge—could you provide a clear photo of the cartridge?—and save your money for a more appropriate turntable.

21. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

The AT91 and Rega Carbon styli I recommended are direct replacements with spherical tips for the installed cartridge, they just track at 2 grams in stead of the preset 3.5 grams. I think you'd need to be only moderately mechanically inclined to make that adjustment and use a tracking force that's generally accepted as safe for your records.

@Josiah, some links for reference only, shop around for better prices (especially on the scale, which should be well under £10). A genuine Audio Technica stylus (the yellow one) will always have the Audio Technica logo. The cheaper generic replacements will not have this.

AT
    Rega
    Scale

22. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

In bold - yes. The cart was designed for that force.

Robin L likes this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I see—the AT91 stylus was the one I was thinking of as the replacement. It's the same as on the similar Mitsubishi table at this house. :tiphat:

Antares likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.