MMG Questions (and Impressions)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doc Sarvis, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Dang, and I was hoping you guys would be unhappy, then my plan would have come together perfectly! :evil:

David, what is the width of that back wall? It looks to be close to the width of the wall I will be using, i.e. about 8 ft wide.

2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Barry I forget, do you recommend tweeters in or out? David's is tweeters in, correct? The tweeter is that lighter color strip seen on the "inside" of the speakers in David's photo?

3. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Veech,

My personal preference, in my own as well as all the other rooms I've heard Maggies, is tweeters-in.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

4. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I tried it both ways and found that I much preferred it "tweeters-in".

5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Quick question, how do the the MG12/QRs compare to the MMGs? Bigger, better, require more power? Someone is selling a pair for $800 and I am wondering if I should jump at them?

6. bdiament

Hi Veech,

With Maggies, as you go up the line, you get a bit more resolution and a bit more bottom.

I would say 100 solid watts per channel is a bare minimum for decent performance. Personally, I prefer starting with twice that. (These are the 8 ohm power ratings. An appropriate amp for the Maggies will get close to double --or double-- its power into their 4 ohm load.)

Also, I'd rather have MMGs with lots of power than MG12s with less power. (If I wanted more than MMGs, I'd probably go with 1.6s myself. That said, the MG12s are no slouches. ;-})

Best regards,
    Barry

7. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

Hi Barry,

Do you have any thoughts about buying planars used? I've seen decent deals for 2 year old MMG's, but I'm a bit hesitant.

Thanks,

Tim

8. bdiament

Hi Tim,

Used can be fine. I would however, inspect the speakers carefully by eye and then by ear. Make sure you don't hear any rattles or buzzes, especially with bass heavy material.

Of course, you forego the trade-in option with used MMGs but that is a personal call.

Best regards,
    Barry

9. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

Kustom 250 , I have 2 NAD2200 PE amps , I tried them with my MGII's , and the NAD did Not Like the 4 Ohm load , and now I'm using a pair of Outlaw M200 Mono blocks .

10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

yep, given my small space I think the MMGs would most likely do just fine, saving me a bit of money to put into the Outlaws.

11. bdiament

12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

yeah... as I look around I am becoming aware that these M200s have been discontinued, is that the case? It's frustrating, can't seem to nail down a pair. Hard to locate a pair for sale, and I wonder about buying technology that's, er.., "legacy".

13. Al D'Addario

Al D'Addario New Member

mmg and odyssey...what preamp?

Seems like the Odyssey M2200 mono blocks are a popular choice for the MMG's.
    What preamp are you folks using with the Odyssey's?

Thanks,
    Al D'Addario

14. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

replacement updated product might work?

15. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Hi Everyone,

I had my MMG's for two months now. I find it is best that you do sound absorption panels in your room to reduce the echo. It is very critical to have them behind the Maggies. Just hang a heavy comfortor behind them temporarily and you will understand what I meant. Soon you will be hanging comforters at all 4 walls of your room! Sound panels are more aesthetically pleasing though.

As for amplifiers, it seems like a lot of you are buying new amps to power these Maggies... Don't forget about the old ones. I myself is using Sumo Polaris 310 (first generation)... This is an awesome amplifier that is hard to find... they do pop up on eBay once in a while... $200 to $300 range. They are worth every penny! It is important to buy quality amplifiers.

16. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Although I have MG-12's, I keep them about 2 feet from the rear and side walls. I also prefer the tweeter on the outside, rather than inside.

17. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Signal Cable makes some very reasonably priced cables that have a favorable capacitance - especially good if you ever plan to try a passive preamp with an amp driving Maggies.

18. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

Veech , I think that the new model number is M2200 , occasionally , Outlaw Audio will run Specials on them .

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

19. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

20. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

I'm not Veech, but thanks for the link to the specials. I didn't see that before. :edthumbs:

21. tps

tps Forum Resident

I think conventional wisdom says that a speaker that looks like the Magenpan cannot produce the good sound one hears. I never cease to be amazed that the sound I'm hearing is coming out of that!

Before the Benchmark, I had been using the Realtek sound in my laptop (noisy and not that great sounding and an Maudio 2496 (and before that a 2448) in the linux system (not so bad, but still no match for the Benchmark.) I got the Benchmark because it was one of the few which would take 24/96 via USB and because of its general reputation as a good sounding DAC. The other thing I was considering was a Logitech Transporter, but I felt that the Benchmark was the better long-term investment, and at these prices I don't expect to be replacing my equipment anytime soon!

22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

ok thanks for the info. That's a stiff hit for me now, especially since I'm looking at $600 for MMGs and $700 for 2 monoblocks. Well the good news is I can make that a "down-the-road" type purchase, or see what else is available that is similar but less expensive.

24. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I have not posted here for a long time, but will do so as I have experimented with my 3.6Rs for four years and have reached certain conclusions:

1. They sound best without resistors (bypassing is even better), provided you have great gear and a good room
    2. They sound best with tube amps (better and bigger is best) and gear that is much higher end than the speaker cost suggests (see 1.)
    3. They sound best with diffusion behind them and bass traps in the corners, but do not sound good with midrange absorption behind them - they are dipolars
    4. They require extensive room position testing (provided you have a good enough system and room) and need space and some toe in to sound their best - (see 3.)
    5. The first reflection point is at the rear of the room (behind the listener) not the sides, midrange absorption works well here (see 3.)
    6. They sound best with roller bearings under them
    7. Their "problems" are often overstated and usually the result of lack of knowledge with the speaker and its requirements

25. bdiament

Hi Veech,

The 2200s replaced the 200s.
    They're essentially the same amp but the new ones have a 12V trigger input.

Best regards,
    Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.