MMT mono Your Mother Should Know question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Has anyone ever notice any phasing type problems with the either the U.S. or Canadian mono Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour LP, specifically "Your Mother Should Know"?

I didn't think you could have a phasing problem with a mono signal. When I record mono albums or 45s on to the computer I always use a y connector cord so I'm not hearing clicks and pops in stereo out of the left and right channels.

Yesterday I was mastering an original Canadian mono MMT to the computer along with a Canadian mono Sgt. Pepper. I played the disc on the way to the gym last evening to check for any outstanding clicks or pops that I missed when cleaning up the tracks and was horrified when I heard "Your Mother Should Know".

This "phasing" problem did not occur with any other song on either album, or the bonus track "Only A Northern Song". When listening to this copy of MMT on my stereo system I can still here some slight phasing, although not a severe as this.

For comparison I recorded a fold-down mix of YMSK from my original Canadian stereo pressing of MMT. It played back fine.

Here is a sample. Beatles - YMSK mono

2. kjb

kjb Member

Yes my canadian copy does that as well. So does the british mono ep.
    I have no idea why, but I'm sure someone here can explain it to us. :help:

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Mike,

You can have a phasing problem when a Mono tape is played back on a Stereo head. As my audio teacher has shared with me, this is more common that we might want to think. In this case, it is difficult for me to comment.

Bob:)

4. JWB

JWB New Member

People have commented that there is "phasing on the vocal at the end".

But I hear phasing on everything throughout the entire track...especially in the drums.

Not really - "phasing" more like everything is out of phase, flipped inside out.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Hmmmmmmmm.... methinks the effect was intentional as it is on all copies of the mono YMSK. Phasing was a very popular psychedelic effect in the 60's, and very often these effects WERE NOT recreated on the stereo versions (Baby Your a Rich Man and Lucy in the Sky are two other examples).

Just my 2 cents, but I think that effect is deliberate.

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

It is. Thats why the mono version is sought after.

mud-

7. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Uh, the mono mix of the song is heavily phased (as an effect) all the way through.

8. Chris R

I just checked my Spanish EMI-Odeon Beatles - "Por Siempre" mono LP. YMSK sounds the same.

I could see Martin/Emerick using phasing as a technique but this is not the case in the stereo mix. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Attached Files:

9. Drlep

Drlep Forum Resident

Steve explained at some point months ago that this was not a phasing problem
    but deliberate "flanging" (sp?). At least that is my memory when the question was
    raised before. The different effects in the mono version (including this one)
    make it a far more interesting mix than the stereo version (to these ears,
    anyway).

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course, they mixed it that way on purpose, just like they did earlier for the mono mix of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds".

Unique to the mono versions only.

They didn't bother for the stereo mixes; too much trouble...:sigh:

11. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Steve, Would it have been less of a project if they flanged the entire mix in stereo and not just the vocals...? Is that what makes it harder?.. In "Lucy" the flanging is on the vocals and the drums..at least they are the most obvious.

12. Steve Hoffman

Well, it takes practice to do it right! I bet they ruined take after take on both of those songs. Time is money!

13. Chris R

Thanks Steve. Flange was actually my first thought. When I wasn't hearing anything in the stereo mix, I wasn't 100% sure what it was I was hearing in the mono mix, or something like that. :)

14. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

I don't have my Lewisohn book handy but didn't they have some technical problem with this song when they recorded it?

I remember something along the lines of it being recorded at another studio (I want to say Trident but I think I'm confusing this with "Hey Jude") and then when they went to transfer it they had some problems with a speed or alignment issue?

Outside of what was previously mentioned, I always thought that that had an effect on the sound as well.

Craig

15. Steve Hoffman

16. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Thanks Steve! :)

Craig

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think it affected the sound, but YMSK was indeed recorded at Chappell, not Abbey Road. According to Lewisohn, they recorded at 30 IPS on 1/2" tape, rather than 15 IPS on 1" tape, which did cause transfer problems (although the specifics are not mentioned).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.