Mo-Fi Releasing Surrealistic Pillow In Mono on 45RPM Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OhNotHimAgain, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I'd heard this was being done - happy to get official announcement.
    Wish it was 33 rpm and single lp - as the original is.
    My bet is it will sound great - but I'll be taking a pass as I have on all of the 45 rpm double releases - have to draw a line somewhere.

3. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

???

They sound AMAZING.

4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums. Would love an upgrade to the orig mono.

5. djost

djost Hyperactive!

have the DCC version of Surrealistic Pillow. Wonder if the MFSL will be sound better.

6. Did they get the band back together to re record everything with engineers who know and like rock and roll ? And with a new spiritual adviser this time ? :tiphat:

7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Two (2) copies, please. :agree:

8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The DCC is stereo. As much as I like SH's work, I still would have preferred the mono mix, so the MFSL might be better. I have the DCC as well as original stereo and mono presses.
    Still, I'm pretty interested in this. I'll probably get it.

djost likes this.
  9. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

I was in until I seen the 45 rpm. Switching sides after 10 minutes not for me. :hide:

AlmostHeavenWV, Donniej and walrus like this.
  10. Joystable

Joystable Active Member

Given what you own, I'd love to hear your take on those lps and likes vs. dislikes. I'm interested in the MFSL 45rpm/mono, yet, my personal lack of experience with this lp other than the mono Sundazed, leaves me wondering if the latest MOFI would be a worthwhile purchase. Regarding MFSL's re-issues since their (take over)..... I think it's been more hit & miss. Even then, the current crop of lps that sound pretty good have an overall bass overhang or too much of an overall "warmth" quality.... in comparison to their heyday, IMO.

11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If I had the Sundazed mono, I'd be pretty hesitant too. Wait for reviews. There's only so much remastering can do when the source is something like Surrealistic Pillow really anything JA '66~'69. Ironically, the engineering seemed to get better just as the musical quality declined...can't have everything.

MFSL is hit or miss, isn't it. I bought one a year or so ago and was kind of underwhelmed. Fremer gave it high marks but I didn't think it was necessarily better than the original I have. Good, but not great. Good for a backup, though.

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

im never in the mood for the album...i put it on 2 times a year...

i might pass on it.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

But they're a pain in the ****. 33 is fine for most people with decent, but not five-figure levels of gear. And for a record not particularly well-recorded such as this one, it's a complete waste of time. The album is only 34 minutes long, so there isn't really isn't much to gain from spreading it out over 8-minute sides.

The Sundazed reissue from a few years back is very well done (IMO), and should suffice for most everyone. This album is never going to sound great, but that is probably the best you're going to get at a normal price. I'd save yourself $30 and get a $15 Sundazed copy off Discogs. This thread got me to put that LP on for the first time in awhile, and it's sounding great. :righton:

Classicolin likes this.
  14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I've got a pretty clean original -1S RCA mono vinyl copy. It's the best way I've ever heard the album, but it's definitely not an audiophile experience.

I'd be curious to see what MoFi could do with the mono mixes, the mono is somewhat punchier and doesn't have the loads of reverb like the stereo mix. 45rpm seems a like a bit of overkill, but who knows, maybe MoFi will miraculously make Surrealistic Pillow have great audio?

15. art

art Senior Member

wish it was SACD.

16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Site says they start to ship on 10/26. On time or sooner is a good thing. It's been a long time since I've looked forward to a new reissue.

17. Joystable

Joystable Active Member

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

SACD please :cheers:

PH416156, scotpagel and MartinR like this.
  19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It is hardly a complete waste of time for those of us who can manage to get up and change records slightly more often than those folks who shun 45 rpm audiophile LPs. There are differences in sound quality and some of us do care about that. Bad recordings benefit from better mastering and better formats too.

s320no and FashionBoy like this.
  20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

anyone got this yet?

21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

MOFI mono SACD is now up for preorder on Music Direct.

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Great:cheers:

23. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

Well you certainly can't call them LPs (long play) anymore, but if you really want the very best vinyl sound possible, 45 rpm is the way to go.

24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Loving it! Now on to a Mofi mono After Bathing at Baxters SACD!

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If there has ever been an album worthy of an audiophile release on two 45rpm slabs of vinyl at a high price...

...this isn't it...An audiophile recording this is NOT.

quicksrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.