Mobile Fidelity Judas Priest Numbered Limited Edition LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 808_state, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中 Thread Starter

Stained Class, Killing Machine (Hell Bent for Leather) and Screaming for Vengeance:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-100531-judas-priest-stained-class-numbered-limited-edition-lp.aspx

Mofi has nothing on their site about them that I can find and the commercial sites collectively list them as "Silver Label" pressings. I think Stained Class is first up. I was really not too impressed with what they did with Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction (2LP Original Master Recording series) but have decided to take a chance on these. Obviously numerous debates have raged on and on concerning the 2001 and infamous Astley remixes...am I being too hopeful?

2. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Very tempting (especially Stained Class), but I'll wait to hear how yours sound :)

808_state likes this.
  3. 808_state

BOTH of my Stained Class originals (US and Japan) are rock solid :D and honestly to best them is a pretty tall order...but I just can't resist a showdown! Hopefully will be able to report back later next week on SC...

Brudy likes this.
  4. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Awesome. I remember my originals of all three also sounding great, although they were lost in the Great Purge. :( I recently saw a UK SC, but they were asking $40, which is pretty high I think.

5. 808_state

I shied away from the UK's due to my great luck with the US/Japan releases...I recently revisited my US OP of British Steel and was really underwhelmed with side A (clean but really thin...bad stamper??) so I ordered a Japan copy and tested it today...utterly blazing on both sides!! Got a CBS UK copy still on the way for the final head to head...the UK should be best due to it maintaining the original track order (A1=Rapid Fire) but I still gotta ask: what's it gonna be England?? Who is ichiban?? ; )

Brudy likes this.
  6. 808_state

Pre-orders delayed until July...oh and Japan win's the battle for British Steel, a small margin but better overall attention to detail with the pressing quality makes the difference (both copies appear flawless but only the Japan release plays that way).

7. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Well, that's a bummer about the pre-orders. And it sounds like you've got two great copies for British Steel!

808_state likes this.
  8. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Are they all going to be the silver label?

9. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Yes.

10. 808_state

One can never have too many good copies of any given Priest album, save for Turbo...

If Mofi goes casual and careless with the silver label thing I think they will be "...in for surprise...in for a sha-ooock" when the fans come out of the woodwork...had better be nothing like the BOB debacle I've read choice words about.

Brudy and hi_watt like this.
  11. 808_state

Music Direct shipped out all three on Friday...if Fedex is feeling motivated (tracking says they're at the facility) then I will be slicing and spinning later on this evening!

Brudy likes this.
  12. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

All three? I thought SFV and Stained Class were not released till the 29th?

I'm VERY interested to hear your impressions on these records. Killing Machine and Stained Class are two incredible albums. It's funny, I've bought almost no metal records (and I work about 3 blocks from one of the best metal vinyl stores in Philly). These really have me peaked though.

13. Clevemojo

Clevemojo Forum Resident

I just talked to Chris at Music Direct and he said they only have Killing Machine.

14. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if they are only doing LPs, or is there a CD (or SACD) release in the works?

15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

They don't have the "OMR" slogan. I wonder what happened to the master tapes.

16. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

Good news for me. I don't have any of them on vinyl, and have been wanting some. Great prices too.

17. 808_state

Man, sorry to be "that guy". I guess I was so excited when I looked at the email I didn't notice the quantities. So indeed it was Killing Machine alone that shipped first.

18. 808_state

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Even my 80's dutch pressing of Killing Machine slaughters any CD I ever heard. Wonder how this baby sounds!

808_state likes this.
  20. 808_state

The copy on the left is obviously Hell Bent for Leather (JC-35706) and that's my only basis for comparison (I don't own either one on CD).

First impression of Mofi's Killing Machine: Looks great as a gate fold with nice heavy card stock. Sounds clear and dynamic, never harsh. They seem to have preserved what I would describe as a kind of "smooth buttery feel" that really took me by surprise when I first heard HBFL, ie. it just flows. The low end is strong and full, the percussion is sharp and both sides play clean from edge to edge, ie. no IGD. Where it really differs from HBFL is in the vocal tone. On the Mofi, Rob's voice seems a step removed and noticeably more isolated whereas on HBFL he's right there in front of you. I would say that overall HBFL maintains a slightly more raw feel (which I personally find appealing) that collectively blends together better than Mofi's Killing Machine, ie. HBFL to me just seems to flow a little nicer. However, by itself I think Mofi has put together a strong package that will really please those who prefer a more discrete presentation and should satisfy those who don't care to track down an earlier pressing. The real test for me is after spinning both sides, do I want listen again or just shelf it? The answer is I will be spinning both copies and neither will leave my collection. I am now definitely excited to hear the remaining two. If they can handle those then I would love to hear what they could do with British Steel.

Kalidor, Brudy, MikeyP and 1 other person like this.
  21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Have you heard/compared this KM with an original KM? I don't know if the original KM and HBFL pressings are different. Nice review!

808_state likes this.
  22. 808_state

Thanks man! I really wish I had a UK or Euro pressing of Killing Machine to spin and will most certainly buy one in the future. HBFL has "Burnin' Up" positioned at B1 but based on owning multiple pressings of most of their releases I think it's safe to compare the two and my copy of HBFL is also in really nice shape. I think HBFL might be a slightly louder pressing but I will say that listening to Mofi's KM today with more volume reveals additional depth and detail. A nice big sound that takes hold of the room. If Mofi doesn't go any deeper into the catalog then maybe we'll get lucky and these releases will inspire MOV to take notice. I'm would love to hear them do Painkiller or Defenders of the Faith.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I love the gatefold!

24. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

These 3, plus British Steel & DOTF would be perfect.

celticbob likes this.
  25. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Interesting that MoFi named it Killing Machine but kept the Manalishi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.