Mobile Fidelity MFSL Release Los Lobos' Kiko on LP & SACD *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Catywampus, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Catywampus

Catywampus Active Member

Exciting news from page 141 of the new MusicDirect catalog: Los Lobos' Kiko will be released by Mobile Fidelity on vinyl & SACD. (No listing on the MusicDirect site as of yet.)

(This reissue was mentioned in passing in the recent thread about the 2012 MoFi releases, but I thought it was worthy of its own thread for the Los Lobos fans on the board.)

Attached Files:

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yes!!! I've been dreaming of an audiophile vinyl of Kiko for years. I saw that in the new catalogue today after work and started jumping up and down in the kitchen. Not a pretty sight. :shh: Great news!

dan c
  3. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Excellent choice. I ragged on audiophile labels in another thread for issuing the same old same old over and over. But Ill give them their due with this choice. Ill buy a couple.

Anyone know how the original lp sounded? Kiko on cd sounds nice. Curious if the lp wws stellar sounding and what it needs in mastering if it wasnt great sounding on the original lp.

Do the guys at MOFI still have mastering differences. Seems Robs is smoother than the other guys mastering which is top end brighter. If I am recalling correctly. Maybe thats not a factor any longer?

Anyway, I am happy they chose this title. I still think they could be more diverse.
  4. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Well-Known Member

Kiko already sounds great on CD...can't wait to hear it on SACD!
  5. Leigh

Leigh Well-Known Member

Original CD already sounds pretty sweet. Doesn't seem like an obvious candidate for the remaster treatment.

Too bad about SACD and not DVDA or 24/96 download, though. I will stick with my original CD on this one.
  6. art

art Well-Known Member

Great choice ... "Saint Behind the Glass" is one of those songs everyone should hear at least once. Beautiful album.
  7. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Well being a lp person, I am curious to see how it will compare with the original cd.
  8. littleugly

littleugly Active Member

Awesome news!

Kiko gets better with each passing year. I'm very excited to hear this is finally being released on sacd as I hoped it would so long ago. Thanks, you made my day.
  9. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

I may pick up both of these - one of the greatest albums ever!
  10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm in for this one.
  11. houston

houston Forum Resident

I'm unfamiliar with the album, but isn't it really short...like 29 minutes?
  12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms Active Member

52:28 of some of the greatest rock music of the modern era.
  13. houston

houston Forum Resident

thanks...don't know why I thought it was short...may have to check this one out, seeing so much love for it :righton:
  14. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

It's truly a tour de force...much of Los Lobos' output is excellent (hell lately my kids and I have been grooving in the car to their cover of the JUNGLE BOOK tune "I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song)," included on the great JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM EAST LA comp - love that bari sax, Steve Berlin blows his heart out!), but KIKO is in a league of its own. Everything just fell into place and they transcended their influences and musical genres in general, more or less completely.

Since it seems MFSL is open to reissuing edgy rock/pop stuff from the early 1990s, maybe there's hope for an SACD and LP reissue of the Chills' 1990 classic SUBMARINE BELLS (like KIKO, originally released on Slash records). More obscure than KIKO but no less brilliant (in its own way), absolutely essential and would benefit greatly from sympathetic mastering (CD is OK but too toppy for my taste and with a midrange suckout).
  15. Kiko already sounds brilliant on CD, I'm not buying that one again. But the SACD of By The Light Of The Moon is one for my wishlist.
  16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I agree that Kiko sounds great on redbook, but I'm hoping that it will send better on SACD. By the Light of the Moon sounds very good on redbook as well, but it is just a bit weak when compared to the same tracks on Just Another Band from East LA. (Which, for the Los Lobos completists has a few hard to find tracks). The other Los Lobos albums on MFSL SACD (This Time and Good Morning Aztlan) sound excellent as well, but the mixes are a bit more "agressive" when compared to the earlier recordings; not in a bad way - they have fantastic bass. IMO
    kozy814 likes this.
  17. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

I'll be getting Kiko on vinyl.
  18. jjay

jjay Active Member

All of the original cds of Los Lobos up to Kiko sound fine to me ( I don't have any cds except Town and the City after Kiko).
    I don't know how much better Kiko could be improved from the excellent sounding cd.
  19. smctigue

smctigue Active Member

I passed on an opportunity to buy Kiko on vinyl back when it was released and have been kicking myself ever since. Very exciting news!
  20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Well-Known Member

Truly one of the best sounding cds around. Glad it will be on SACD, but I'm not a big fan to warrant the purchase.
  21. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Where do I sign?
  22. stever

stever Well-Known Member

Two of their best. How about, How Will the Wolf Survive, too?
  23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Well-Known Member

I hope they put Kiko on 2 LPs - it would be a long album to cram on a single disc. I remember reading somewhere that the hard-to-find German vinyl isn't actually that good, so this could be an essential purchase. If it's only a single LP I might go the SACD route.

My original LP of By The Light of the Moon sounds fine so I am less inclined to spring for that one.

Tom
  24. akmonday

akmonday Active Member

i'm all over the sacd for this. I love this album, one of my favorites from the 90's
  25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Agree with your post. Not as inclined to buy 'By the Light of the Moon' but very excited about 'Kiko'. Even if Kiko is a single I'll buy it. What would really be fantastic is 'Kiko' spread over three sides and the full version of 'Rio de Tenampa' is a bonus on the fourth side. Wishful thinking.

dan c

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)