Mobile Fidelity Ultradeck motor hub / belt squeek

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ola Rundberget, Nov 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, any owners of a MoFi turntable: i noticed a motorhub squeek coming from my Ultradeck. Goes away when the belt is removed, so its probably from when the belt is mounted.

Sounds like the belt rubs against the groove of the motor hub..
    And there is a slight tilt on the motor hub towards the platter.

Its not annoying in any way as i use headphones, but just curious if its just due to the design of the turntable :)

2. Flowingrobes76

Flowingrobes76 Well-Known Member

I have a StudioDeck and shortly after my purchase I noticed motor noise (not sure i'd call it a squeak like you first described, more like a noisy motor) . It quickly became louder and I was scratching my head as to what could be going on. I too removed the belt which solved the noise issue.

I cleaned the belt with warm soapy water, dried it off and placed it in a plastic bag with talcum powder. Shook that baby around a bit and made sure it was thoroughly coated and reinstalled.

To my surprise, the noise was completely gone and I haven't had any issues since. Good luck, hope you can figure it out.

3. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

A replacement belt will run you about $30 if you're inclined to go that route. I picked one up a few weeks ago just to have an extra. Several places sell them.

If you suspect something more serious, then give MoFi a call. They were very courteous and helpful the couple of times I contacted them.

4. Ola Rundberget

Just had the belt replaced. Its actually more of a brush noise, as the belt touches the motor hub when it spins, so its on each rotation.
    [​IMG]

The hub has a slight tilt inwards right? I do not know if this is by design or not.
    Its impossible to hear if one stands about 3ft from the table, and its washed away with other background noise if i try to record it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  5. Ola Rundberget

Got in touch with both MoFi and Oslo HiFi Center who sold me the TT. They of course fowarded to the importer, who is a record store in Oslo.. lol. Oh well.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Maybe try contacting the US division of MOFI through their website and see if they have tips for you.

7. Ola Rundberget

Yep! Its actually continiously a brushing sound. As the belt spins on the hub.

8. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

That's who I got in touch with. I didn't notice your location, @Ola Rundberget. Should have checked, sorry.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Even if not in the U.S., they should still be able to email the manufacturer and ask for a troubleshooting tip here. The damn thing is made in the U.S. and MOFI should take some responsibility here. Obviously if it needs a new part or some type of service, hopefully that would be handled by the local distributor or dealer to minimize hassle.

aunitedlemon, Budley and Phil Thien like this.
  10. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

I wholeheartedly agree. Sorry to hear about your experience. Best wishes on a favorable resolution.

11. Ola Rundberget

No problemo :)

12. Ola Rundberget

Don't you get me started on my story with MoFi xD
    1. Studiodeck had a defective bearing, whereas i had to test this for a month before MoFi via the distributor in Norway sent me a replacement. No new turntable.
    2. replaced it with an ultradeck - which had issues with the tonearm-lifter. This was replaced with a new one that MoFi sent me. Not the distributor nor the place i bought the table.

Its really an odd thing this, as the store where i purchased the table ALWAYS sends me to the distributor ( a local record shop in Oslo ) if i have any enquiries about my both my turntables from MoFi.. Which has been about 3-4 times now.
    And they did it this time as well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.