Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I was under the impression that we were talking about Soundstage Direct and not MoFi or Music Direct. Conceptually it would not have been hard for Soundstage Direct to sell on an individual's account to keep their name out of it. I am personally proud of Soundstage Direct for honoring their commitments and have a great deal of respect for them because of it. I have always held MoFi, Music Direct and Soundstage Direct in the highest esteem.

MikeJedi likes this.
  2. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I ordered abraxas from soundstage direct on August 8th 2016. They still have not honored their commitment to me. I have made multiple calm and respectful phone/email inquiries into it's status, which continues to be "processing" or whatever. Customer service has been friendly and responsive, so there is that.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And what has their live customer service told you?

4. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I hope that you will be next on their belated filling of orders. It does bode well for you that giantleech's order was filled. Please let us know when that happens so that we can do that happy potato head dance thingy on the smiles list. I love that little guy.

nitsuj, MikeJedi and AnalogJ like this.
  5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

A heads up on the MFSL James Gang, Procol Harum, all Ry Cooders, The Knack, Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Richard Thompson and Elvis Costello LP releases. They are all limited to 3000 pressings with the James Gang limited to 4000. Many of the SACDs are limited to 2000. While the titles are not as significant as the Santana Abraxas 1-Step, those are still scary low numbers pressed and should probably be preordered. Order limits do not seem to be in place at this time, but I would not be surprised if they do not start soon on some of the titles. The other more significant titles do not seem to have limited runs planned or at least announced yet. This is a new and developing trend in the MoFi releases. I have not seen so many limited releases since the 1990's and those were limited to 5000. I predicted in this thread that the Santana Abraxas would be immediate collectors pressings before they even started shipping - there are titles listed above that I also believe will quickly become collectible at those numbers. MoFi pressings have developed a reputation of quality over the last few years and I believe there is far more interest in their releases today. And no ....... I do not work for MFSL. It's just a hunch but I thought I would point it out.

6. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Just noticed a review for the Bill Evans on the Analogue Forever newsletter from The Audio Beat. A lazy search of the Audio Beat site didn't actually bring up the review so not sure where it was lifted from. Anyway for what it is worth at this point here it is:

"I have several copies of the recording -- on CD, XRCD, SACD and LP -- but none of them has sounded like this. The speed and immediacy were immediately apparent, but what made Sunday at the Village Vanguard come eerily alive was the bass -- its pitch definition, density and dynamics. Each note was distinct, not running into the others, yet displayed newfound weight and power. A recording that had always sounded very good was much more forceful and vivid. After the cut finished and I was moving toward the door, a guy who was sitting behind me said, "Where did that bass come from?" Like me, he also knew the recording well and thought it had never sounded like what we had just heard. Rob LoVerde let me know that half of the 3000 copies of Sunday at the Village Vanguard were already pre-sold. Needless to say, if you want this record, buy now or be sorry later." The Audio Beat

AnalogJ and Slick Willie like this.
  7. AnalogJ

I'm sure it will be great. The problem with the review is that it's missing a specific reference.

"I have listened to lots..." Has he heard the AP 45?

Imagine an Abraxas release a couple of years down the road and the reviewer says "I have heard many copies of this and it's the best it has ever sounded." Wouldn't you respond, "But have you heard the 1-Step?!?" You want to know whether your copy has now been bettered. Fremer always talks about specific pressings, for example.

So any audio review can say "It's great", but to say "It's the best...", please let us know if you have heard the previous best for reference.

MrRom92 likes this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I've got an update about my Neil Young Greatest Hits 1Step purchase, it came, but more about that next break.
    It's already commanding these types of prices:

lookee here:
    NEIL YOUNG GREATEST HITS 2 180Gram Sealed LP SET + bonus single Sugar Mountain | eBay

from this morning. Amazing.
    Also found an eBayer selling a RL Zep 2 for $499 and he shows a picture of him playing it on a $40 POS turntable!!:

LED ZEPPELIN~LED ZEPPELIN II~RARE US '69 ATLANTIC ROBERT LUDWIG SS VG+ TO EX | eBay

My God, how stupid is that??

the beave

9. The Beave

:-popcorn::-popcorn::-popcorn:

the beave

10. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

If someone pays that, they need their head examined - plenty of sealed and mint copies available at Discogs and eBay for around $40 and up.
    Buy Neil Young - Greatest Hits (Vinyl) at Discogs Marketplace

Even a sealed Classic Records 200g version is cheaper than that.
    Buy Neil Young - Greatest Hits (Vinyl) at Discogs Marketplace

11. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

That they may or may not receive their order from MoFi, and that the few copies that have gone out to customers have been personal employee copies.

12. AnalogJ

That is frustrating for all involved, I'm sure.

13. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

Imagine as an employee being told you had to give up your only copy!

14. AnalogJ

Or you could buy up to 5 copies here from Amazon for $43.41.

Neil Young - Greatest Hits (2 LP 180 Gram Vinyl with Bonus 7 Inch Vinyl LP) - Amazon.com Music

It is NOT a limited edition item.

I have seen it local stores for anywhere from $45-50.

15. The Beave

Well that's a good thing.
    But this brings up a good question, if a 'Father' is made from the lacquer, and that process destroy s the lacquer, then we end up with one stamper correct?
    If that is correct, then one stamper can. Make how many records?
    The beave

16. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I remember reading somewhere on Vinyl Engine that a stamper should never be used for more than 2,000 records. These days some companies are using stampers for less than 1,000 records to ensure the ones they release don't exhibit obvious wear from worn out stampers.

If I remember correctly MOFI said they would use stampers for no more than 500 records perstamper for UD1S pressings.

17. The Beave

So they must then be making/cutting multiple Lacquers at the same time?? Is that possible? If not, then every Stamper is a different Master so to speak. Interesting to say the least.
    Ok, now back to the Neil Young.......
    As I have experienced before with ImportCd's selling on Amazon, The album, although not shrink wrapped, is literally in Brand New condition. All the goodies seem to be there so I'm more than happy. I am keeping my eye on the Listing so if I find ImportCd's selling another one for cheap I'll post over here so somebody else can cop a deal.
    Happy Wednesday everybody!
    The Beave

Kyhl and MikeJedi like this.
  18. Bigbudukks

Yes, multiple lacquers can be made at the same time. The big record companies used to have machines in a series using a signla from the same source. You can probably find photos of it online. I think some of those videos on youtube showing how records are made show it also.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Anybody know when the Evans is coming out? Was it supposed to be released this month?

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Never mind, May 12 if the info on Amazon is accurate.

21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I always know when they are released as Visa sends me an email warning that my card has been charged. I ordered the limit of two back when Music Direct first started taking preorders. It will be interesting to see if my order was cut down to one as per the reported new limit. I am not concerned about the number on the box that I receive - my Abraxas #1286 was an A1 B1 C1 D1. The number on the box only really helps on the secondary market.

Myke likes this.
  22. jorsan

jorsan Member

still too early know what will be the third title?

23. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I believe it is supposed to be "Waltz For Debby".

24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is that Bill Evans, "Waltz For Debby"?

25. Bigbudukks

That's what people were saying but I never read where the information came from. I'm not even worrying about when At The Village Vanguard comes out. It will get here when it gets here. It isn't like I have other music to listen to in the meantime.