Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

You're "mixing" several different things, I believe. Keep it simple :)

This is Spars Code:

SPARS code - Wikipedia

AAA – A fully analogue recording, from the original session to mastering. Since at least the mastering recorder must be digital to make a compact disc, this code is not applicable to CDs.[1]
    AAD – Analog tape recorder used during initial recording, mixing/editing, Digital mastering.
    ADD – Analog tape recorder used during initial recording, Digital tape recorder used during mixing/editing and for mastering.
    DDD – Digital tape recorder used during initial recording, mixing/editing and for mastering.
    DAD – Digital tape recorder used during initial recording, Analog tape recorder used during mixing/editing, Digital mastering.

Each letter refers to a very specific step in the audio production chain. What happens in the studio immediately before or immediately after that specific step can be a multitude of different things.

As for mastering and what mastering is (what specific step can be called mastering?) is strangely vague these days... but yes, in general, each different media (or format) is a different specific mastering. Now, that can still be true if all of them used the same single "pre-mastered" source.... and that's when it gets a little confusing. But in any case, putting "anything" to a final format is always called Mastering, I believe.

honestabe316 likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Revisiting the RL.....
    [​IMG]

jonnyeric, FashionBoy and Guss2 like this.
  3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

So then anything originally recorded with a digital tape recorder can NEVER use the phrase, mastered from the original analog tapes" as there wasn't one.....andthe nightfly was DDD....thanks for the breakdown....makes more sense now

4. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

It could've been mixed to an analog master as well, who knows.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

What do you call TN on vinyl?

6. Slick Willie

DDA

7. Slick Willie

The CD is DDD. The downlod is DDD. The vinyl is DDA. If digital tapes were used, the term 'from original master tapes' can be used.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

I was asking him because he didn't include DDA!

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. SergioRZ

It depends. If the master tape is analog, regardless of what steps occurred before, then it is the Original Analog Master Tape. I think this happens quite a lot, albums that were partially recorded and/or mixed in digital and then transerred to analog to make the actual Analog Master Tape.

honestabe316 likes this.
  10. SergioRZ

I don't call it anything, it's a quote from wikipedia (the section below), not my text ;)

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

Is it DDA to you or something else?

12. SergioRZ

I don't understand the question...

13. SergioRZ

Actually I don't quite agree with the words/terminology used on this SPARS explanation from wikipedia:

I used it as a quick reference, but now looking closer it really isn't quite what I would think those are...

14. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

No, would still be DDD, if that is correct for the CD. Vinyl can still be cut from a digital master.

honestabe316 likes this.
  15. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

If anyone has heard the 12" single promo's from The Nightfly. I.G.Y. (LP version) / I.G.Y. (edit version) and New Frontier / The Goodbye Look knows that this album CAN sound great on vinyl. The promo's were cut by Robert Ludwig and were done at 33 1/3.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  16. Slick Willie

For vinyl it has to be converted to analog to cut the disc, so mastered to analog? Those codes were designed for the digital market?

17. SergioRZ

I think just like CD must always end with a D (because the mastering format itself is digital), vinyl LP must always end with A (because the mastering format itself is Analog).

18. Slick Willie

True, nothing else makes sense to Slick.

19. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Take the recent Pink Floyd remasters - they were remastered in the digital domain by Guthrie, but cut to vinyl from the master, by Grundman. Going by the SPARS definition of the last letter indicating the mastering domain, then I would consider most of those AAD. They are clearly not AAA. I think the confusion lies in if the last letter indicates the mastering domain or the medium. By what I've seen and the article you linked then I understand it to be the former.

I also vaguely remember having some Telarc LPs in the '80s that were labeled DDD (boasting of it, ha!). I don't have any of those anymore so don't have a pic.

I will be glad to be corrected, if someone knows otherwise.

20. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Spars code is for compact discs, not vinyl.

SergioRZ likes this.
  21. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I think a lot people here already have a good sounding Vinyl copy of The Nightfly. I'm not gonna pay $100.00 for this. Not only that, I listened to it the other day and it reminded me of elevator music.

The Beave and Slick Willie like this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not the elevator music I have heard. And I don't know if elevator music has the wit and sophistication of Donald Fagen.

Look, Fagen was not trying to write a rock record here. He was trying to capture an era from a particular perspective. If you're expecting "Reeling In The Years", "My Old School" or "Peg", he wasn't trying to give it to you here.

23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

There are no bad-sounding copies of this album. The Target is allegedly not good but mine is fine. That last sentence is, IMIO, silliness. As has been said, I've never heard elevator music that sounded the least bit like Fagen. LOL!

Es

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

OK, maybe that last sentence is a little over the top. I was just trying to say I don't need this or want this in a super duper version.

Nostaljack likes this.
  25. Slick Willie

Wurd!