Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Well now, if we were to use those codes for vinyl....my vote would be ADA! Am I wrong? Methinks not!

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think the elevator music that almost killed my spirit was hearing a Muzak version of Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hear Me?"

3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Sour grapes my friend?

4. Slick Willie

In his defense...well....it ain't one ya' wait in line for....it's good....maybe $10 good?

John D. likes this.
  5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

You know what release I would kill for (or at least knock someone over to see released :buttkick:) as a MOFI 1-Step 45 rpm 2xLP box (and that I think would be a fantastic choice, if not necessarily a raging, instant sell out commercial success)? The 1991 Rhino CD (and cassette) only released "The Best of Mark-Almond" compilation, that's what. A pure AAA original masters assembled 45 rpm fidelity cut box set of this fantastic, very well-programmed overview of this band's oeuvre would be absolute audiophile (and top-quality music) dynamite!

6. Slick Willie

Wow! I was reading your post....building up in anticipation for your rec.......then ya' gave it.........so deflated was I!!!!!
    Why am I watching this thread...thought I!!!!
    Jeez....:doh:

AnalogJ and Tullman like this.
  7. giantleech

:buttkick:

8. Slick Willie

Ha! Before ya' kick me....go back and think over your rec.. OK...do it again.......get it?

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Truth!

AnalogJ and Slick Willie like this.
  10. giantleech

Nah. The foot has already spoken (and the truth has been told.)

11. Slick Willie

Gotta' give ya' some luv for being....let's call it unique! Logic, I assume, is not your forte'....but then music is very emotional, what's logic got to do with it...got to do with it!
    :shrug:

12. giantleech

I would like to see (and hear) the music of Mark-Almond (as represented especially in the very well selected, career spanning overview of the 1991 Rhino release "The Best of Mark-Almond") mastered (this time all analog/AAA) and nicely presented in deluxe fashion in one of the finest analog audiophile formats currently available (in this case, the MOFI 1-Step series) with the maximum level of fidelity that a 2xLP 45 rpm cutting allows for. That you may not care for this specific title or possibly any of this band's music to come to exist in such a format is of absolutely no interest or consequence to me (and please, save your snide and obnoxious personal asides for one of the more insult-driven music related forums that already exist out there.)

mpayan likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

Well now, didn't mean to get ya' worked up, a comp (especially a 2 LP-means 4x45 LP's) would be what this series is about.
    After all, most comps make up the track list using tape dupes.
    Not trashing your artist choice, just questioning your logic on title choice.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:pI hear the beeping sound of a truck backing up.

giantleech likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

I know there are 2 concurrent threads that deal with the prospects of the Donald Fagen The Nightfly album. I have an original RL. I listened to it for the first time in many, many years yesterday.

First of all, I think it stands up very well both sonically and musically. That being said, it's not among my favorite Steely Dan-related albums. It's good, but it's somewhere in middle. With Gaucho, to me, they started to sound a bit too cool, too clinical. There wasn't nearly as much on their albums that musically catch fire. I think Royal Scam and Aja are stunning achievements. Gaucho, while very good, was an ever so slight letdown for me.

I remember when The Nightfly came out. I really loved I.G.Y, and still do. But I'm a bit cooler to the rest of the album. I like it a lot, but it doesn't set my passion afire the way Aja and Royal Scam (and everything that came before it do).

Sonically, it's also a hair on the cool side. That's not surprising, particularly from Aja onward. "Maxine" has some sibilance, as has been discussed. I don't know whether that can be fixed or not.

Here is where I think the 1-step might help here (or any good 45rpm reissue): The album, at least my RL, lacks some presence, particularly in the lower end. The lower end is polite. I never feel the drums or bass in my gut. The lack of real bass authority gives the music less weight than I think it should have. Is that authority/presence on the original recording? Perhaps this is where a full-bore audiophile level reissue will give this record more dynamic grip and excitement than it does on my RL copy.

Additionally, there is an occasional lack of transparency in the midrange, something that is often there in spades with a 45rpm. So I'm hoping that there will be more air and soundstage and more dynamic authority all around with this new one. I'm still debating whether to get one, but I'm enough of a fan, overall, to likely pull the trigger.

Dmann201, Cassius, jasonmvt and 5 others like this.
  16. giantleech

New Frontier, The Nightfly and The Goodbye Look are the three tracks that make this album for me. Would be nice if this album was a truly memorable killer slate from start to finish (it's not, in my opinion), but this mentioned trio of tunes gives it its worthy status.

17. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I totally agree with this assessment.

The record needs some lower end weight and honestly even the SACD from Japan could use a little help there too. That said, I think The Nightfly can be helped and I'm anxious to see what Mo-Fi can do with this.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

In a nutshell, it sounds so so.

19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I will not quote a post so as not to appear that I am picking on any one member. I have read ad nauseam about the disgust directed to those who buy multiple copies of a record or CD for the purpose of keeping one and selling the second for profit. It neither makes one more righteous nor pure to refrain from doing so. I respect those who choose not to speculate, but I also respect those who have the foresight and cajones to do so. For 40 years, MFSL have been one of the safest releases to invest in. Like any investment, the question is, do you have the time and ability to wait for the demand to out weigh supply. It is wisdom for a person to invest in what they study and know. If you are a serious and knowledgeable record or CD collector and you believe that you understand what will drive the future market - more power to you. But know this - Past performance in not indicative of future results. I will respect those who choose not to speculate and I will share wisdom with those that do, but I will not give nor accept the opinion that speculating is synonymous with a lack of character.

The Beave, bootbox and Bobsblkwax like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^I don't mind if someone here flips a record for a profit, I've done so myself, but nobody wants to hear people bragging about how much money they made, they should keep that to themselves.

Kyhl, The Beave, ti-triodes and 4 others like this.
  21. AnalogJ

As I have said before, if you're going to make a profit, are you doing something that really benefits others, or are you doing it for pure breed.

If someone's buying multiple copies merely raises the cost for others, that's not noble in the least.

22. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Exactly!!!! If you want to flip, flip, but be respectful about it. Maybe start a thread regarding that, but don't come into a music forum bragging about it to many who weren't able to get a copy and then go on about all the good that has come from said behavior. IMO, this is the best forum on the entire planet and I respect the members here above all others. Show some decorum, that's all.

bootbox, AtlTrav and whaiyun like this.
  23. AnalogJ

I think it's better than so-so, from my RL copy, but I have heard better sounding standard copy albums. If it could be substantiality be improved upon, I think the music would have more impact.

24. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

All this DDD/DDA, SQ reports on current pressings makes me nervous to buy this copy. There must've have been some significant flunks in mastering or recording if none of them are decent. This includes RL cuts AND CB cuts.

25. AnalogJ

I think it's better than so-so, from my RL copy, but I have heard better sounding standard copy albums. If it could be substantiality be improved upon, I think the music would have more impact.