Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I thought about it as it was a One Step and it would be cool to compare to not I'd one step.....i listened to some of get music and it didn't grab me......please let us know how you think it sounds once you play it ....

2. honestabe316

It would be a stellar choice....I have the nautilus pressing which is excellent....why not take it up another level.....I want to hear what it would sound like if Anne & Nuance were performing right in front of me ;)

NewKidInTown likes this.
  3. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Yes they were in the box, right on the top.

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How do you know it's overrated? Did you buy a copy or is this another one of your criticisms of Mobile Fidelity??

5. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

I received #202 of 2000 today. No time to clean and play so I've not even broken the shrink wrap yet.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

FashionBoy likes this.
  7. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Which Ry Cooder? I've been on the fence because all of those RC albums sound so great originally. But if Boomer's Story can be better...

8. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Can't help about comparing to the original, never heard it (sorry), but I know good sound... MFSL's Boomer's Story sounds amazing, with the MFSL signature mastering, incredible scale, low frequencies you can really feel moving a lot of air, quick transients, natural highs... I was really impressed, they are able to get this huge, deep, meaty sound, with immense clarity and it never, just never, sounds forced or artificially EQ'ed... I don't know how they're doing it, I would think they made huge changes to their GAIN 2 system a few years ago, most of their output for a while now just sounds clearer, stronger, more "in the room", not in a way that makes you suspicious about it, but in a way that simply seems to be closer to the music, closer to the masters.

Can you tell I'm impressed? :D

honestabe316 and rollo5 like this.
  9. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I'm sure Mr. Paravicini has a lot to due with it :)

SergioRZ likes this.
  10. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thanks! I love the sound of the original but I think I'll have to jump on the MOFI after reading your review.

SergioRZ likes this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Clearer? That means slightly more compression! MFSL has a signature sound, especially the masterings by SB... more details, more bass.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I bought a copy for a buddy of mine in Canada through MD. Number 0172. I ordered my copy through Barnes & Noble. Looks like I'll have to go through the secondary market to get my own.

@teag posted a very nice critique. I'm looking forward to more reviews rather than complaints about Mobile Fidelity.

David P. Hill likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is why I think MFSL has the best SACD mastering chain out there.

Jimijam and SergioRZ like this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am surprised you trusted that Barnes and & Noble would come through.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Really.....??? Listen to Highway 61 Revisited (stereo), Cheap Thrills and all The Band reissues. Older masterings blow away the Mofi's.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hey, I just place an order through a non-traditional online retailer. We'll see if it comes through. I paid about $135 including shipping.

FashionBoy and teag like this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I didn't say mastering, I said equipment used for mastering. I think Highway 61 and The Band reissues were done with the Gain2 system. The latest masterings are done using the Gain HD system. There was a noticeable improvement when the switched over to the GainHD system, so much so that they could justify redoing some older SACDs with Gain HD in the future. There are some newer releases that they must have had finished before installing the new system.

Look for GainHD for the highest quality SACD from MFSL.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Let us know if you get the record from them.

19. honestabe316

Do you know which equipment was used for the recentmofi brothers in arms 45 or Rickie lee jones 45 ?

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, well, consider the source.

Tullman and Tremaindous like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My BIA label says Gain2 analog system. I am speaking to the SACD mastering chain.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thats interesting. Can you provide examples and when they started the Gain HD for SACDs? Is it stated on the outside cover?

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Mofi started Gain HD in 2015.

Quote:
    Mobile Fidelity's Ultradisc UHR GAIN HD mastering technology makes its debut with three iconic titles: The Band, The Last Waltz (catalog number UDSACD 2139), the 1978 farewell concert album from the legendary group; Love, Forever Changes (catalog number UDSACD 2131), the 1968 masterwork and perennial critics' and listeners' favorite; and Pretenders (catalog number UDSACD 2144), the stunning debut album from one of the most electrifying and influential pop/New Wave bands ever to hit the airwaves. These initial Ultradisc UHR GAIN HD titles are currently available, with many more releases planned for release in 2015.

teag likes this.
  24. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I just checked B&N for the Bill Evans's MFSL 1-Step and I didn't see it available on their site. Deep Discount CDS and Importcds.com has it around $125-$126 preorder. Both say release date 6/30.

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

I wonder if ordering would result in anything? Seems doubtful but you never know. The 6/30 "release date" is interesting.