Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, but The Band titles other than The Last Waltz were done with the Gain2 system. I heard a pretty substantial improvement on SACDs when MFSL started using the GAIN HD system.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes it is in very small print on the bottom of the back cover. ULTRA DISC UHR GAIN HD.

3. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

You make a great point on the Ry Cooder reissues. I have the originals. They're what opened my eyes to these albums. I nearly passed. The Mofis are refreshing though, good as those original LPs sound. But they're 331/3 rpm and $34.99 (around $27 for me).

So, would I buy Paradice and Lunch or Boomer's Story as a $100 45 rpm One Step Ultra? Knowing myself I can't say for sure but I certainly don't need them that way. We all figure out where to draw our own line I guess. Speaking for myself, this One Step campaign is not something I'd buy a subscription to. It has to bo a special album that never really got the treatment it deserved. Rare bunch but, given the sheer volume, there are plenty out there.

SergioRZ likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How about a One Step of The Buttoned Up Mind Of Bob Newhart. The comedy will be clearer than ever before, and don't get me started on the soundstage.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Is there an audiophile version of Muddy Waters' "Hard Again?" Now that would be a sweet one step although I'm not sure how well blues sells.

6. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I finally got a shipment notification from Acoustic Sounds that my Bill Evans shipped.

audiotom, The Beave and David P. Hill like this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Can you imagine that you could buy, if you want, 5 copies of SATVV one step at some DU branches in Tokyo at the moment? Sold for ¥15.000 before tax. Not bad considering the exchange rate and the postage.
    You could also buy the AP BE BOX set for ¥80.000 there.

Phishman and MisterBritt like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So what is that in US dollars?

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

$133.

Tullman likes this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I bought my copy of SATVV from MD already and I purchased a copy of OJC CD, Chet, for ¥500 at DU. :D

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I orded it back in March. They keep postponing it.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not a good sign.:sigh:

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No siree Bob.

It's my own fault.

14. Marmont514

Marmont514 Active Member

Hi! What's DU? I'm heading to Tokyo soon! Although not sure if I wanna lug records around for 2 weeks. Thanks.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What did Robert Plant say? It's nobody fault but mine.:cool:

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Disk Union

17. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Amazon still has my order of SATVV. The site still says it's taking pre-orders for a June 30th release. I'm not holding my breath, but wonder if at $144 is this a good investment. I've always bought two of these big releases; two Abraxas one-step, two KOB box sets, etc. Always one to play and one to stash away. Maybe that's part of the insanity?

audiotom likes this.
  18. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

for the Riverside box or 1 step?

19. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Your SATVV records support perfectly on the turntable?
    My record two on side 3 is slightly raised (1/2 mm) for all the circumference.

20. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

One step.

AtlTrav and audiotom like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is why I use a periphery ring.

22. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I solve the problem with the Mitchell Gyrodec clamp,my observation is that I find "stranger" that a record which should be the excellence have defects...also considering the $ 100 to buy it

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Yes. I $100 premium set should have no defects nor irregularities, end of story.

Tommyboy, RiRiIII and MisterBritt like this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

A warp on a record can happen for many reasons, it can be that something went wrong at the factory or maybe it was exposed to heat by the delivery guy, who knows.
    Don't expect some representative from MOFI to be at the plant during pressing and personally inspect every single one of the 3000 copies.
    That been said, if a $100 record has any defects, I would expect customer service to step up and replace it.

David P. Hill likes this.
  25. george2210

george2210 Forum Resident

Received mine today, number 1834.