Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Woah, hold the phone. Really? I just ordered this from MD because I saw nothing but positive reviews. I already own the RSD mono release but it seemed everyone said the MoFi was the best version they'd heard. Kind of Blue is in my top 5 albums ever so I splurged. I can always sell it if it doesn't hold up but I'm curious what you didn't like about it...

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I didnt know this thread was the Kind Of Blue mfsl review thread.

giantleech likes this.
  3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm way too old for passive aggressive nonsense. You don't want a slight diversion? Just kindly say so or point to a rule I missed or something.

I'll see myself out and listen to it in a week when I have it. Have fun guys.

teag and Jelloza like this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No, in my opinion, it's not the best, and it has its acknowledged problems. The bass is too big, and the upper end tonality is glassy. Bill Evans' piano sounds good, but other tonalities are off. It's not a disaster, but there are better pressings. The trouble is, they will cost you.

Some of the MoFi Miles pressings are great. This isn't one of them. It might have something to do with the tapes used, which weren't the original masters. An audiophile friend who owns a high end stereo salon is a passionate lover of KOB and has about 20 pressings. He found this one odd. I listened to it there and I didn't like it compared to the best of what I have heard.

I have heard many pressings. The best is the Classic Records 45rpm followed by the Classic Records 33. They went back to the 3-track session masters for that those. I think Sony wouldn't give them out again for the MoFi. But these pressings sound full, sophisticated, lots of air, and relaxed. You really hear into the soundstage. The music has a natural flow. It doesn't have the hyped up presentation of the MoFi. Miles' trumpet sounds real, 3-dimensional, and has a natural bite.

My favorite pressing is an original 6-eye mono.

If you have no context, you might be impressed with the hifi aspect of the MoFi, but, to me, it's a miss. And I'm not alone. You can certainly find others in the forum who agree as well as others who like it.

AaronW and musictoad like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

is it a small burst that sounds like someone shredding newspapers?

check for non fill

those pearly areas where not enough vinyl got into the pressing
    I thought One Steps should have avoided most of that

6. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Sounds like crumpling newspaper. But I hear hints of the same sound when bass is played in some pieces -- so this could just be exaggerated on side three. Anyways, the warped disk has the "same problem" on pretty much the same spots. Sad to say, but I mainly play the CD version from my NAS drive. Oh well.

7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I wholeheartedly agree - the Classic has more nuance - better balance and accurate detail

I have a 6-eye which sounds very natural but it's a tad noisy and muted on the top
    (been through the ultrasonic twice)

8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

nice analogy -

not sure I would want to hear an argument
    perhaps if the conversation were an endearing talk of a grandfather imparting wisdom on two grandsons

in this case of the Bill Evans Trio I do want to hear the conversation in the next room - but as if it were in this room

by intimacy I meant precisely what you just stated

Motion is brought forward as never before and it's a good thing

the order of the songs from the sets was changed to reflect a memorial to Scott on the first released SATVV
    so the bass is featured more prominently on this album

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

that's it
    newspapers

look up non fill on the internet and you will get some photos and details

it occurs along the groove - you can see little pearly "beads" at times

I am sure there is a thread here somewhere

I think I had a short burst on one song - not too much to get worked up about it

PATB likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Good point.

Lots of opinions on this forum are system dependent. But they sometimes get written as absolute.

musictoad and Tullman like this.
  11. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Waiting for my advanced copy of the MFSL-One Step-Donal Fagen-Nightfly. Should be here this Saturday as per UPS tracking.

audiotom likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

I've had mine for a week now. Wonder what took yours so long? Sounds pretty good so far.

Phishman and MikeJedi like this.
  13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Cool. Please comment after you've had an opportunity to listen.

audiotom and MikeJedi like this.
  14. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

MikeJedi likes this.
  15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

October 15th, at least we have a target date now.

16. AnalogJ

Sure. If someone has the money and wants to hear it for themselves, the more power to them. It's almost always better personally hearing it rather than merely taking someone else's word.

But that can be costly. $50 ain't cheap for many only to find that it's not that good. It's why we eagerly anticipate a sizable number of reviews. I was fortunate enough to hear the MoFi KoB in a good, well set up system.

In the end, the series of qualities i don't like about it may be qualities that work for you.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

It's not just about a "series of qualities". It's also about systems sounding different. My point is that the reviews that are so absolute are not really absolute. They are opinions that are biased by the systems they are heard on.

One persons great system is another person's lousy system.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  18. AnalogJ

I'm not necessarily buying that. A lousy system is a lousy system. Good systems can vary in their strengths. For instance, some systems may be more analytical, more detailed. Another system may emphasize the warmth in the music. Another may be optimized for rocking out. But good systems should have at least one thing in common - they're musical. I admit that some systems leave me cold. I haven't been big fans of Wilson Watt/Puppies in the two systems I have heard them. I won't say that they're lousy speakers, though. They're good at what they do, but they don't emphasize the qualities I prefer to hear. Perhaps I would match them, ultimately, with different associated equipment.

Secondly, there is the matter of more refined ears. I have mentioned this in another thread. Would you take the opinion about a restaurant of a Cordon Bleu school chef who has been working in 4 star restaurants for 20 years over the opinion of the same restaurant of Joe 6-pack who normally eats at the Applebee's for his high end experience? Would you take the opinion of Michael Fremer about a system over the opinion of the same system of someone who normally listens to an APEX all-in-one system he got at Walmart? Do you think Fremer might be able to articulate what works or what doesn't better than the other guy?

So, if you agree with me, there ARE such things as better informed opinions than others. I sure wouldn't want you to ask me my opinion about an unusual growth on your back over an opinion from an experienced, licensed, dermatolist.

audiotom, soundQman and SteelyTom like this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks for your opinion. But please stop the lame analogies.

SuperFuzz likes this.
  20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

So does the MoFi night fly sound better than my mint RL copy ? Just curious ;) I might order one just to see ;)

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm not sure what "a few copies left" means exactly. Could be a few thousand for all we know. I've been on the fence on this one though so I placed an order just in case it really is almost sold out. Fished in I guess.

22. AnalogJ

They work for some. I have been complimented on them. I will continue to use them. Sorry they don't work for you. And, since you and I have chatted privately, you can send me a private IM to discuss it if you have some sort of insight.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It is always a matter of taste IMO

Almost every loudspeaker manufacturer has a signature sound.... Wilson Audio, Magico, B&W, Martin Logan etc.

Tullman likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

That's true. It's off-topic, but I love Magnepan speakers. Probably my favorite. Certain Castle speakers when they were owned by a British company. It's funny, though, Castles and Magnepan speakers sound different, but I love each of their strengths. I'm not a fan of Martin Logans as I feel that the bass doesn't integrate well with the panels. I hear an lack of coherency from top to bottom.

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

There is also something to be said for the "reviewer" comparing pressings on the same system, one they are familiar with, mid-fi and up. The differences will show up there as well.
    The degree of the differences will vary though based on ear/gear/concentration.

teag likes this.