Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

My experience was that they solved that with their newer models. However, my problem with them was what I perceived to be a somewhat harsh, "etched" top end. They did image exceptionally well, though. I auditioned their Summit X model about a year or two ago, but it has since been discontinued.

2. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

Perhaps we should move the discussion about Mofi One-Steps to a fresh forum, since all these diversions from the original topic are becoming a distraction?

mpayan and teag like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's just a relative lull before the next one comes out. There's either speculation about the next one, listing the numbers and stamper numbers of the ones just received, comparisons with previous pressings, or relative merits of MoFi's work in general (and/or how the current one compares with others they have done).

A new thread will have the same. As soon as the person who has the advanced copy of The Nightfly chimes in, we'll be all over that.

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

That person was clearly kidding about receiving an advance copy. I didn't believe it for a second.

Tullman likes this.
  5. AnalogJ

He was? Okay.

I am aware that there are a few who DO get advanced copies of records. Oh well. Onto the tangents.

6. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

No way! Really? If you have can you please let us know how it sounds! UPS tracking is saying I am to receive my Advanced Copy tomorrow ( Saturday). Do you know someone at MFSL? My Uncle Gerald- ( Captiol/Reprise/Warner Brothers) was a part of the one step mastering with the Donald Fagen release.

7. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Rrrrrrrright.

8. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

When I was in the record business I sometimes would get advance LP or cassette copies about 2-4 weeks before release dates.

My biggest regret was that in 1983 my Warner Brothers rep had a cassette only advance of the yet to be released Simon & Garfunkel album Think Too Much.

I asked if I could borrow it and he said no but that he would let me come to his condo and listen to it.

But the very next morning the higher ups at Warner Brothers were told by Paul Simon to confiscate all those cassettes and the album was delayed or may not come out at all so I never got to hear it.

Jimijam likes this.
  9. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Ah Rrrrrrrrrright Guss2! Apparently you can't say anything on here that is credible. You have proven that! I will not be a part of such shenanigans!

musictoad and Guss2 like this.
  10. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I'm sorry but I thought your lovely golden retriever delivered the Fagen One Step to your door.

You and your Uncle Gerald earn big kudos here.

If you don't have an RL original would you like me to send you a copy to compare?

We are very interested in your insights

Thanks

11. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Merlin always dimes me out....curses foiled again you rascals!

audiotom and teag like this.
  12. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

#2238 is my Bill Evans Vanguard-One Step..

13. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Well, mine should come on October 15 or so. No advance copy, no special anything except hopefully the pressing itself. Let's face it, it should be special for $100. I bought the Santana and still can't figure out if it was worth $100 vs. $50 for the typical MoFi 45 rpm release.

What's happened here is instead of "strictly limited to 3000 copies", we are now to 6,000 copies at the same price. About 1/2 as "special" as the Santana release already. You do get a box and a few cardboard inserts to compensate for the expense as with Santana but, in the end, if it doesn't sound beyond spectacular what's the point?

It makes little sense but I'm all in. I just have to see. Funny hobby right? If Bridge Over Troubled Water is "limited to 10,000 copies" and so on where do I get off this train? I don't know exactly where the line in the sand is drawn but at some point it's not special enough to justify the price. Argue amongst yourselves about whatever but this is the argument I have within myself.

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I could buy like 50 used records for the price of this. If it was an album I REALLY loved I might get it but not this one. Also I am really concerned that it won't be a whole lot better than what is already out there. would be nice if people stop posting what number they got and actually post a review.

AnalogJ likes this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Read the thread. Plenty of reviews.

16. AnalogJ

I'm guessing that there are many here who don't have any intention of opening up and playing their copy.

But I do think there are more than enough reviews in this thread to get an idea of whether you want to buy it or not.

audiotom likes this.
  17. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

Just played Abraxas # 1702 for the first time - A3, B3, C3, D4. It needed a good clean particularly for side one which had lots of smudges. But no issue, it played absolutely fine.
    I had this and the Bill Evans shipped to my brother in the US. We are just back from a visit there so finally got my chance to listen. Echo all the good said so far abut this pressing - a real experience. The tinkly bits on the opening track are other worldly. I briefly played my MoFi CD after and it is amazing how much more detail and balls are on this LP. Great job Mofi.

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Since I'm still sorta' kicking myself for missing out on Bill...I ordered a copy of Nightfly.
    Apprehensive on this one, but trusting they wouldn't release at this level without feeling that it's a significant improvement.
    Was told they hope to ship before years end.
    Carry on...

19. AnalogJ

I hear ya. But here's my thought, taken with a grain of truffle infused salt: MoFi would do something totally stupid to themselves akin to shooting themselves in the foot if they put one of these $100 albums out that was just okay. With the two they have done so far, they've put out extraordinary reissues. The Bill Evans is arguably better than the SH/KG 45rpm put out by AP, but I can see why some might prefer the AP. It's certainly unusual to have two different high end mastering jobs done on the same album.

If The Nightfly is only a hair better than the RL, then they'll have lost a lot of potential preorder buyers in the future.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, so we'll know after it comes out whether it lives up to its price and hype.

20. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

True, still too early in the game for them to stumble. That's why I took a shot. They must feel that this will be definitive, with power/detail that makes the RL obsolete(?).
    We shall see what we shall see. And while a sore subject to you, I figure I should be able to at least recoup my purchase price if'n I feel it doesn't destroy the RL.

21. John Doe

John Doe Senior Member

Completely agree, there is mostly such great feedback to this reissue I thought me or my system was off. Glad I have company.

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

I prefer the RL as he sort of warmed it up a bit.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

On Ebay the Bill Evans 1 Step is priced from the high 200's to $400. Must be selling quite well for the price to go that high so fast. The Santana 1 Step is even more.

Not much time left to order the Donald Fagen pending release to avoid regret over not ordering it and having to pay more than $100!

MikeJedi and RiRiIII like this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

does MD charge the 99.00 upfront before they ship it out for the one-step? I thought i read that on here somewhere or maybe their website? :)

25. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Once it is about to ship they'll charge you. I know for me it was probably within 24 hours of getting charged I got a email with my shipping info.

MikeJedi likes this.