Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have it and it is very similar in character to other Classic releases of the time. It has a nice analogue sound, full midrange, with tamed highs that might sound “rolled off” to some. I remember the contrast of the acoustic guitars and the nice, full bass on “The Only Living Boy in New York.” I never compared different versions, but it’s a good sounding record for sure.

I hesitate to recommend it only because (i) it cost me $50 or so, but will probably be very expensive today; and (ii) like many Classic Rexords 200g releases, my copy was severely “dished”. I remember one of the discs was so bad that it looked like the cartridge was surfing down the face of a wave. I managed to fix it many years later with The Vinyl Flat record flattener, but that was nerve-wracking.

rollo5 likes this.
  2. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thanks so much for your response!

3. Mainaman

Mainaman Well-Known Member

Am i missing something here?I have this CB mastered "Hejira" and it sounds ok at best,being on a single LP with 25 minutes per side.That said,my original LPs of JM dont sound great either,i guess her albums were recorded that way...

4. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Yes, you are missing something.

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

God there’s some right snobs on here...(doesn’t include me by the way) :D

teag likes this.
  6. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Had mine tested to make sure.......

[​IMG]

7. Mainaman

Mainaman Well-Known Member

Hmm,Fremer gave the LP 10 for sonics.I may listen to it again as i changed three carts for one year.Not one was lacking,though.

My best sounding JM LP is Dog Eat Dog,which is slightly digitally sounding.

Back on topic,if the next Ultradisc,BOTW, is eight months away,we may not see another one before 2019.

rollo5 likes this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

One of my jackets looked like this, the other jacket looked like it was run over by a fork lift, after which some dope put a record in it.
    I just received two pristine replacement jackets from Music Direct.

rushed again likes this.
  9. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

That’s great. Should be pristine. I’ll submit a request, though mine is more minor, this is a premium product and should be perfect.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, those seam splits are a little much. Especially because they are inside a box.

11. jonnyeric

jonnyeric Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Well.......... :edthumbs:

12. Myles B. Astor

Myles B. Astor Forum Resident

Thanks for reading my review!

Sadly all the LPs kinda pale next to a safety tape I heard recently of the recording.

One small point. I pay for all my music. Nothing is free -in part because I believe in supporting vinyl. In fact, I have standing orders with my cc# on file for many series.

FashionBoy and AnalogJ like this.
  13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Dang it! Why can't Music Direct just put the new upcoming Simon and Gorfuncle "Bridgewater" UD1S box up for sale on their website already for pre-order? I don't want to have to call them on the telephone to place an order. :mad:

wbhendrix likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Y'know, they instituted a service that would help people like you - a TOLL FREE PHONE NUMBER. :righton:

15. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

No! Computer order only! I want printable email confirmation with order #, thank you very much. Music Direct not having this item up online for pre-order yet is goofball city. :thumbsdow

varyat and MartyTem like this.
  16. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I agree with the leech- need the confirmation on these things. The fact that they are taking phone orders prior to a web announcement is a little shady:confused:....

The Beave likes this.
  17. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

Place a phone order and then login to your account at musicdirect.com, look under order history and boom...there it will be...with printable invoice number.

Tullman likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is the way to get your invoice printed for sure.

Bigbudukks and jbc777300 like this.
  19. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

When I place my phone order for 2 botr 1 step I was told since the order was taken over the phone it wouldn't show up in order history. Just tried it and sure enough it isn't there.

I will try this week to get the two black record jackets for the nightfly replaced that were both split at the top.

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am not doubting you, but I have placed many phone orders with Music Direct, even some recently - and when I do I never see the phone order under my on-line account order history.

I called about 2 weeks ago and asked if I ordered the BOTW One-step over the phone, would the order show under my order history, and I was told there was no guarantee it would, so I held off. I was told, though, that in due time the BOTW One-step would be available to order via their web-site way before it ever could sell out (let's hope that is true).

21. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

I preordered BOTW via phone and it’s in the online order history. Not sure why it’s there for some and not others?

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Chill. Ask them for an email and you will get one. That’s what I did. MD is a great company to deal with.

Tullman likes this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just checked my order history and BOTW is there.

24. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

Just received the 2018 musicdirect catalog in the mail. Stevie Ray Vaughan ‘Texas Flood’ coming in early 2018 and an image on the back cover alluding to Bill Evans Trio ‘Portrait In Jazz’ with no further details.

BOTW strictly limited to 7500 copies.

Kyhl, FashionBoy and Twinsfan007 like this.
  25. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

For info Analogue Productions have announced in their Winter Catalogue their first UHQR release (in fact two) - Axis Bold As Love (5000 stereo copies) and (1500 mono copies)

Twinsfan007 likes this.