Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's all?? Let the feelings of scarcity begin! ;)

jbc777300 likes this.
  2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Any idea of when they expect this to be released??
    If SRV is coming in early 2018, when is BOTW coming then, also in the spring??

3. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

4. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

The catalog says BOTW is coming soon in 2018.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Odds BOTW sells out immediately? I’m afraid I’ll miss it!

toddrhodes likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Call Music Direct and preorder over the phone. My order came up in my orders account right away.

MrRom92 likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, that is a lot. 7500 is the most they pressed so far.

AnalogJ likes this.
  8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Something tells me @MrRom92 is being sarcastic :)

I thought I saw it was going to be 3000 copies for BOTW so I preordered by phone. Now that it's 7500, I could have just waited for it to show up at Safeway.

Kyhl, Bigbudukks, Paully and 3 others like this.
  9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’m actually serious hahah, I think this one has a chance of selling out quicker than the others. Probably why they’re doing 7500. They know they’ll make their money back and then some. That has to be the biggest run on an audiophile/limited release I’ve ever seen, but there’s certainly a demand for it. I’ve actially wanted a 45 mastering of this title for some time now. Any idea what kind of tape source they’re using if we’re to believe the master is shot as per all the old rumors here?

toddrhodes likes this.
  10. toddrhodes

Well I stand corrected then! I hope it does sell out, that way they can keep bringing more and more goodies our way!

MrRom92 likes this.
  11. Just preordered one steps for both Texas Flood and Portraits In Jazz via the phone from MD. I had them email me a confirmation, which they did. Then I called Acoustic Sounds and asked about the UHQR Axis Bold As Love. They said should be available for preorder in 2 weeks or so, and they anticipate cranking out as many as 6 titles/year. The vinyl world is looking bright!

Bigbudukks and FashionBoy like this.
  12. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Did thety say how much it would cost??

13. No. That is literally what they are waiting on.

14. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

lol agreed, why is the simon and Garfunkel pressing not up for pre-order online?

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think it's obvious as Music Direct have to satisfy trade orders from other retailers first and allocate numbers before they determine how much stock they will have to sell.

Piero likes this.
  17. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Just ordered the next three ultra disc One steps from Music direct.

18. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Many I'm just not seeing it but it would be great if these upcoming release preorders were listed on the website.

19. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

7500 units on a One-Step release is absurd. The collector value diminishes greatly. I will not touch any Mobile Fidelity release that has numbers greater than 5000 (even that number is high.) Give me a break!

Cheers, Mark

20. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Yeah 7500 seems like a lot, but if you remember this is worldwide and many people buy more than 1 copy (at least i do). Secondly, if it sounds amazing (the subjective "best" sounding release) there is a smaller chance people will sell their "personal" copy on the secondary market down the road, compounding the issue of availability.

21. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

That's odd. I thought the collector value was in the fidelity these pressings give us. I just want the music. If I like the music and the record blows me away I'm not selling it so the monetary value is irrelevant. They can make as many as they want as long as the one they make for me makes me glad I bought it.

22. AnalogJ

Ummm, unless, I assume, that you actually want the album to listen to.

toddrhodes likes this.
  23. toddrhodes

Don't get me wrong, I like how risk-free a great sounding AND limited run is. But, first and foremost I want to hear the music, the mastering, the fidelity of this sort of pressing. That it retains value is just icing on that cake.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I think it's a bit intentionally naive to pretend that these releases aren't intended to be collectors pieces which they clearly are (limited, expensive, ornate packaging). Part of collecting is the value they hold. Obviously the quality of the music should be the focus, but to pretend the value they will hold is not a consideration when paying $100 for a single freaking album just comes across as a bit sanctimonious.

If it were really just about the music then MFSL should cut the price down and press more with less ornate packaging, no?

Gary C, Cassius, mrob0000 and 2 others like this.
  25. AnalogJ

Well, I have been a proponent of cutting down on the fancies. But, no, when I bought the first One Step, Abraxas, I didn't buy it for collectibility. I did buy into the hype. I was curious about the sound quality.

I already had a great pressing of Abraxas, the German ARS, but was unprepared for how much more was contained in the grooves of the MFSL. There was a possibility, however, that the release could have bombed, or at the very least, seriously missed the mark, as was with their recent reissue of Kind Of Blue. If it hadn't been as good as the ARS, I would sell it, and at a loss.

Only subsequently would I know that the Abraxas would be a hot commodity. The likelihood that future One Steps will retain their value or even go up, but if they put one out that sort of flops, you'll lose.

For me, I'm only buying if I'm interested in a record if I'm actually in listening to it. I'll be passing on Texas Flood. I just got the AP 45rpm. I'm happy with that. I'm not enamored enough with SRV to chase every copy down. If, for some reason, it ends up being SO far superior to the AP 45, with 7500 being pressed, I'm guessing there will be copies available shortly after it's released. I actually did that with the Bill Evans.

mick_sh likes this.