Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Well, frankly, hearing these next two means I'm no longer even worried about getting the whole set now as I'm not interested in either MG or BD. No biggie, just personal taste doesn't dictate even "the best" versions of those are worth $100 to me. I figured this was coming, but it makes the decision easier to not get the SRVs either since I have the AP 45's. But, I'm happy for all those looking forward to these!

Will still get Portrait in Jazz, though.

Dmann201 likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the MFSL SACD. I'm not a big fan of this, so the SACD is fine.

3. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Debating whether or not to pull the trigger on the SRV albums. Do you really need an uber sound system to appreciate what these One Step releases have to offer? I have a rather modest rig and though I'm a SRV fan I'm wondering if it's worth it. Opinions?

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Any 45rpm pressing will be easier to track with a lesser cartridge and arm. A Crosley may not be able the dynamics of these audiophile pressings well, but a decent setup should be okay.

That being said, the better the setup, the more the greater nuance and bloom rendered by the One Step will be heard. The better the setup, the more that is retrieved off of the record.

Will you, personally, appreciate the difference? Only you and your ears can say. It is likely you'll hear a difference.

As these are limited pressings, if there is a record you love, I'd advise you to get it. When you do upgrade your system, whether it be the amp, the table, or the cartridge, you'll appreciate the 1-step all the more.

hardknox and mick_sh like this.
  5. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The 80s Motown reissue by John Matousek. Look for cursive JM deadwax and a white box on the rear of the jacket stating the LP is a reissue, and was originally released in 71.

The Mid 00s MFSL is not very good at all, The Let's Get It On was done well and is worth seeking out.

I hope they take a different approach with this new opportunity.

C

mpayan and ifyouever like this.
  6. AnalogJ

What's Going On is a great album. Is it sonically worthy of a 1-step?

7. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I think the recording is solid enough to add something new. It's not all time sonic powerhouse but it's a solid B. Jamerson's bass playing, Bongo Brown's hand drums and the stacked Marvin vocals have plenty of room to shine if done right.

pinkrudy and mick_sh like this.
  8. AnalogJ

I'll likely buy it. The songs are great, important, and iconic.

FashionBoy likes this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sorry, my bad. I was thinking about Let's Get It On which sounds pretty good. Not a big fan of this stuff.

10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Whats Going On is a great title. The first half of the album is fantastic flow of music, although I am not sure if it will hold up well to 45rpm splits.

What I don't understand is why two titles from SRV and Bill Evans? With such a "limited" series, isn't one per artist enough?

Joti Cover, soundQman and musictoad like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Me too.

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I'd pass on Blood on the Tracks.

But I'm in for Marvin Gaye. That album is Soul Prog. Like how songs flow into each other. Kind of like the soul dark side of the moon.
    I have a similar feeling for Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On. That album is Blues Prog. Too bad about Peter Green, we only got 1 album in this genre.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

I'll take Blood on the Tracks. It is a possible selection for the 1 Step I have heard (from Music Direct).

Tommyboy likes this.
  14. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Is Bridge Over Troubled Water? I've only heard the Sundazed version and the 24-192 hi res from a couple years back. Both have a bit of graininess to them that I'm interested to hear how the 1-Step approaches. I remember reading that the album was the victim of layers and layers of bounced tracks.

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It’s certainly not acoustic music minimally miked for audiophile purity. It is a grand production with layering. I’m hoping the one-step makes it sound even more grand and rich in detail.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I nominate The Smithereens 11 for a one-step. Great album and the slamming big guitar, great hooks would sound terrific!

MartyTem likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And the more I listen and remember that Smithereens album the more its held up as one helluva fun album that was engineered well!

How about it MoFi? Be a great tribute to Pat!

Bobsblkwax, POGunter and MartyTem like this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have to agree with some here that SRV and Dylan's Blood on the Tracks ALREADY have audiophile releases put out. Yes, I know the first 3 One Step titles did as well, but how about mofi really doing a 1-2 punch by giving the world a master tape like vinyl pressing of "something" that hasn't yet seen the light of day in the audiophile world. Gee, how about Machine Head, Led Zep 4, AC/DC, or EXILE ON MAIN STREET. C'mon, you want to really show me what the one step can do, give me a one step of Exile by the Stones that beats my original Aritisan pressing. How about the Eagles first album? Ahhh, where's the master tape of that one? How about Steely Dan, OTHER than Aja? Ooops, master tape where are you again. Oh well.

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Blood on the Tracks I'd be in for although I'm happy with the most recent MoFi release of it

Marvin I'll likely pass on, mostly because the 45rpm format will break up the flow of the album too much.

GentleSenator and pinkrudy like this.
  20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

My guess is that the One-steps will mainly be precisely those titles with multiple audiophile releases, because they are: A.) tried and true in terms of profitability, and B.) available for licensing (I'm assuming a lot of people's desired favorites would already have been given the audiophile treatment if they were available). I don't think the one-step releases are intended to break new ground, but to present a sonic improvement over other previous audiophile reissues--of the same big-selling, "audiophile" classic albums people complain about. In some ways, The Nightfly was about as adventurous (in terms of having few audiophile reissues) as I'd expect them to get.

markmck79 likes this.
  21. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Just got off the phone with Music Direct. They ARE now taking pre-orders for What's Going On and Blood on the Tracks, as well as the two SRV titles and S&G's BOTW.

Joti Cover and Gabe Walters like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Lol, a subscription thing would be easier.

Twinsfan007 and Jimijam like this.
  23. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

any hints on what pressings numbers they are thinking about?

David P. Hill likes this.
  24. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't ask that question. :shrug:

Slick Willie likes this.
  25. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Which titles on SRV titles are we talking about?