Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

£124 in the uk

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

$168.24 is the current exchange price.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

It will be a lot more. Probably £140 +. Ordered from Music Direct which will be £109 incl postage if I am lucky with customs. Otherwise add £28 approx.

4. Guber

Guber New Member

I agree with Mike T. I ordered the Fagen one-step from AS last summer. I called AS around a month after Music Direct shipped out the Fagen asking when they planned on shipping the Fagen. The rep said they will ship it when they receive it. To this day I haven’t received the Fagen from AS. Fortunately I ordered a Fagen from MD also and got a copy. Not sure what is going on in the back end, but I won’t order any more one-steps from AS, and I am a huge AS fan.

MYKE likes this.
  5. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Notice there is also mention of Jimi Hendrix "Axis Bold As Love" UHQR on Music Direct either. It appears the war has started. If Music Direct had simply started with allotting a certain percentage of One Step albums to other retailers then other retailers would respond in kind. Now the response is in kind. It's kind of sad that it has developed this way, but that's business.

Anyway, I await word on when the Simon & Garfunkel album and the Hendrix album will be shipped. I'm eager to hear them.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I don't like the original Mofi ziggy, I prefer the original UK by far.

7. Sam

Sam Forum Resident

I'm sure if they did it on One Step, it would be a completely different mastering than the old mofi. Same as with the last One Step of Nightfly. Mofi did that back in the day as well and the old mofi does not compare to the new One Step pressing. So given the track record of the last 3 One Step releases, I'd be willing to bet if they did do Ziggy, it would be out of this world. Whatever it is, the process or the mastering, this latest One Step records are really the cat's ass.

buzshaws, FashionBoy and stenway like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

MoFi under Music Direct is a completely different company with different mastering engineers. Comparing an old MoFi with a new one is like comparing a '60s Beetle with a new one.

FashionBoy likes this.
  9. Claus

Claus Restaurant Critic

Wrong..... Krieg Wunderlich already worked there before Music Direct jumped in. And even senior mastering engineer Shawn Britton was also mastering engineer before MFSL went bancrupt in 1999. The only new mastering guy is RLV.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

I think I'm partially wrong. The previous Nightfly done under the MFSL banner was previous to the Anadisc output. I'm not sure if Wunderlich and Britton were working for them then.

I'll have to revisit the Anadisc LPs in my collection. I didn't realize that the engineers from that era carried over.

11. Claus

Claus Restaurant Critic

Stan Ricker and Krieg Wunderlich did the LP cutting at that time.... I have met KW and SB in 1994. MD bought MFSL five or six years later.

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I come late to the party... so yes I miss the 1st 3 releases, now all are in hands of the Scalpers on eBay and Discogs for inflated prices, so my mandatory question is, Mofi plans print more of the 1st 3?
    I see mofi for simon and g... print more copies 7500, so maybe more easy to get one.
    by the way, why not Bookends! :( my fav of simon an g.
    I go to read more of this topic to see reviews on the sound quality, I just read more comments about if the disc arrive or not than sound quality.

13. Sam

Sam Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath. I'm sure MOFI will not print more of the first 3 titles. Jump early or lose out. Sorry for the harshness, but that's the way it is with limited editions that receive positive reviews. Yes, mofi is now planning to print 7500 of S&G, now that they realize that their records will sell for $100. I'm sure, at first, there was some worry as to product moving at such high prices, but the market has shown that buyers are willing to pay that and 3 or 4 times that amount on ebay. Pre order now or pay later.

ted321 likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

Not always.

When Warner Brothers had Steve Hoffman remaster Rumours several years ago at both 33 and 45rpm, the 45rpm was supposed to be a limited edition. But after the 45rpm got rave reviews and sold like hotcakes, WB decided to press some more. I know of this personally.

BUT, that's not MFSL's modus-operandi, from my experience. Back in the '80s, MFSL did do a 2nd pressing of The Beatles albums. I'm sure that was due to how well the first pressing did. You'd find them not just at audiophile audio stores, where they were initially marketed, but at regular record stores.

15. Sam

Sam Forum Resident

Sure, it happened and it's possible, but I doubt that mofi will break from the limited promise on these One Step pressings. That would piss off the initial buyers who were told that the product they were buying was "Limited" to a certain number. (2500 for Abraxas, 5000 for Sunday and 6000 for Fagen). I don't believe Warner Brothers ever stated a number for the Rumours release, just said it was "limited." Sure, "limited" to whatever number they come up with. Whores! And while it's nice for the people who didn't jump early, it hurts those of us who did because the collectability just went out the window.

David P. Hill likes this.
  16. digitalwitness

digitalwitness Member

There are currently 6 more One Step pressings available for pre-order from Music Direct over the phone.

Simon & Garfunkel - BOTW (also available for pre-order online)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
    Bill Evans - Portraits in Jazz
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - I actually forget which album it is, but I think it's "In Step"
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going on?

They are all set to release this year. I'd call and order your copies now as it seems these pressings are getting more and more popular. I didn't think to ask MD about pressing numbers, but am considering calling back to see if they have that info.

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Couldn’t Stand the Weather

18. Ports

Ports Well-Known Member

No way these are all released this year.

19. digitalwitness

digitalwitness Member

Actually, you might be correct. My friend gave me the heads up and I mis-read his e-mail. According to him, the first 3 are 2018 and the latter 3 listed are next year. Might call MD tomorrow and ask about numbers and projected release dates. Will update here if so.

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Forum Resident

Looks like I shall have to get Blood On The Tracks. Now I see why it initially came out as 33 rpm rather than 45 like most other Dylan releases. So they could 'fleece' us for £100 plus more. I don't see that appearing until next year or even the year after. How long have they been promising the remaining 45 rpm Dire Straits releases?

ted321 likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

Only the first 3 are currently available for pre-order, according to a rep at MD.

22. drbryant

drbryant Forum Resident

Interesting that these "one step" titles sell well, even though many other MOFI limited pressings seem to move very slowly. The Dylan mono 45 rpm titles are all still available despite being limited to 3000 copies.

23. Sam

Sam Forum Resident

I don't know, could it actually be the stellar sound quality from the first three releases? Sound that no other lp pressing of those titles has ever achieved? Yeah, that might be it. The one step process DOES seem to yield a master tape like sound that is quite apparent.

nitsuj and FashionBoy like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Forum Resident

When you say "yeah, that might be it", I assume that you are saying this because to you, it is obviously the sound quality and there is no other reason, correct? (Sorry, three decades in Japan without US television, and I am consistently thrown off by sarcasm in daily conversation). So, I guess you are saying that the improvement for regular MOFI 45 rpm titles isn't as dramatic as the one-step titles.

I do own the first three releases, but have only opened the Village Vanguard title. That one sounds terrific, but I had never even heard the album before. I have multiple copies of Abraxas and Nightfly, but I haven't opened my copies yet. I need to get to them soon.

I think that the Dylan mono titles sound great, but they seem to be selling slowly. I also loved the Patricia Barbour boxes, the Rickie Lee Jones box and the Alison Krauss Live box (33-1/3), but all of those sold very slowly as well. I wonder if perhaps the reason the one step series is selling so well is the quality of the packaging/presentation. I still hold on to the old Mofi UHQR albums that I have, even though I don't think they are the best sounding versions - I love the high end presentation (even though they are missing the original album jacket and that foam padding can discolor the inside of the box).

25. digitalwitness

digitalwitness Member

Call back and try again because I've definitely pre-ordered all 6