Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Good point.
    Perhaps he sees it as a blurring of the first two listed. Keeping him in business keeps the easily accessible black crack coming?

Matt R. likes this.
  2. ggergm

ggergm red right returning

The philosophy of record returns, discussed using social science definitions and categories.

Reason #437 why I enjoy reading this forum.

:agree:

3. Slick Willie

That's a lot of reasons! I think I'm only at 192 or so....

4. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Since theyve waited this long to release it,Id rather Simon Says Gartfunkled come out in September. Dont really want a 100 buck record sitting out in the heat in some truck getting warped.

5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonofthefather

Sounds like it will be a warped 125 buck record. :mudscrying:

6. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

$125 seems excessive but then I thought they'd have problems at $100 so I'll acknowledge that they know their business better than me :D

7. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Cassius and MYKE like this.
  8. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

$125 is nonsense.
    I'm out.

I'll spin Kevin Gray cuts. Sound phenomenal and they're only $30 to $35 .

jgrillo, Bigbudukks and LeeGriffin like this.
  9. masterbucket

masterbucket Forum Resident

Due to flippers they want a piece of the pie as well.
    Hard working music lovers get the bill......sad.

10. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

I am of a like mind. But if you stop and think about it for a minute, audiophile's have become the elite's now. Just look at Stereophile magazine, every piece of equipment in there requires a 2nd mortgage to purchase.

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

Boo! Boooo! (Not to be confused with "Bruuuuce")

Anyone out with that announcement?

12. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Well-Known Member

With the new raise to $125, I'm fine with it as long as they don't continue to increase the print run. IMO 7500 is too much to be considered "limited" for a special release like this. To me the most should be 5000. I also wish S&G would just come out already so they can move on to other titles that matter to me more personally. Hoping to get 2 a year now just seems like a pipe dream with the delay and increase in copies...sigh

ted321 likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

I am sorry, I am sure that I 've been missing something here, but where did you guys see that the Bridge over Troubled Water is going to be $125? On MD it is still $99.99.

14. Twinsfan007

The upcoming releases after BOTW are going to be $125

15. 5-String

5-String Forum Resident

I see, thanks! That's disappointing. Any official justification for the price increase?

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

I think, at $125, I'm less likely to take a chance, unless it's an album I'm enthralled with, or really, REALLY want.

I'm not doing this to flip.

I might not have bought the Abraxas or BOTW at $125. I have the Classic 33 of the latter, and it's really good. In hindsight, of course, the Abraxas was quite a purchase, perhaps worth it.

I have already preordered the next Bill Evans, but I was considering What's Going On? I'm now going to reconsider. I don't know if it's sonically intricate enough to warrant spending $125 on. Would I later be able to resell it and recoup most or all of it? I don't know. Possibly. But I don't know if the soul/R'n'B market is as audiophile driven. The Bill Evans? Sure.

ted321 likes this.
  17. Twinsfan007

Not that I know of, maybe someone else can shed light on it.

5-String likes this.
  18. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Forum Resident

I just checked my order history at Music Direct. I preordered all the upcoming One Step titles and they still show at $99.99. I guess if you preorder before MoFi makes an official announcement that the price of their upcoming titles will be raised, you can lock the $99.99 price.

19. Guss2

Guss2 Forum Resident

Checked my 6 preorders as well and they all say 99.99. Glad I locked them in early.

20. Slick Willie

I wonder if the price hike has anything to do with how many were willing to pay $120+ to get the new UHQR release delivered?

21. MYKE

MYKE Columbia 6 Eye Mono - 1958

It would be highly unethical for any retailer to raise the price on an already placed order.

Bigbudukks and Slick Willie like this.
  22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin

Agreed - but as can happen, they could cancel the order. It has happened a few times at Amazon, where you pre-order at a "stupidly" low price, and then they cancel the order based on the fact they realized their mistake.

On the other hand, a company is in business to turn a profit - and if said company sells something at a loss, and it is a big enough loss (individual priced loss times number of units sold at loss), it could put the company at a disadvantage. I'm not saying Music Direct is in this situation, but I'm sure they are not such a big company as to be able to handle major losses and stay in business (my assumption not based on fact).

One thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around at this point in time, is the "fact" that all future One-Step releases will actually be $125.00 instead of $99.99. I'm not fully doubting the contention made in this thread regarding that statement, but it is merely, if memory serves, a statement by someone talking to a Music Direct employee over the phone. None of the future One-Step releases are posted with a way to order on the Music Direct site, so until I actually see the $125.00 on future offerings, I take the statement with a grain of salt. (No offense to Tullman who seemed to report the price increase.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    MYKE likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman I prefer analog

No, if you ordered before last week it's $99.99, right now it's $125.
    Well...I made an order with Music Direct for the SRV Couldn't Stand the Weather one step title last week. I checked my account and the order was present, but the price was $125. I called to ask why the price was $125. and was told there was a price increase and that all $99.99 preorders before the price increase would be honored.

24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification. I placed the order back in December 2017.

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

I'm surprised that they didn't make some sort of announcement giving a warning. It would have been a nice gesture toward those who have been a bit loyal.

Jimijam and Bigbudukks like this.