Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Some of the great rock albums tend to suffer from over production or poor sound, like Layla. Perhaps the one step version of BOTW will be the best way to hear this album from an audiophile perspective. I own the Classic 33 pressing and the Kevin Gray Sundazed cut. Both are decent sounding, but I certainly wasn’t knocked out by either. I’d love to hear the Classic 45RPM version but I refuse to pay $200 plus dollars for it. At this point I’ll take the word of @Tullman.

Most of the rock albums that I prefer aren’t sonic gems. The albums in
    my collection that receive high grades in the musicality and sound categories are of the jazz variety.

Cassius and mpayan like this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What I prefer and what is feasible for MFSL are likely two different things. I will not be ordering What's Going On, just don't like it. The Dylan is another one I will not be spending $125. on. So yes, once they surpassed the $100 threshold I get fussier.

For me, BOTW, is an important title warts and all, so it was a no brainer and passes the test. I am excited to have such a nice pressing of one of my favorite records.

Kyhl, Paully, Tommyboy and 4 others like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. We would have slim pickings if we want AAA Rock recordings that are also stellar productions, not to mention excellent musical content. Still, the one step process allows us to hear some of our favorite recordings like never before.

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

So, in your opinion, it beats out the Classic Records release? Yes, I think we all understand that BOTW is no Breaking Silence from Janis Ian, sonically speaking. It has problems, but I've heard worse. However, musically, it's a winner that time has not tarnished, and mofi has now given us the best version we are ever likely to hear. Is it worth $100? To most, I would say yes. Each title is so subjective. When Abraxas came out, to me it wasn't worth the money for the few songs I liked on the lp. Sure, had I known about its potential resale value, I would have jumped on it, but not for the music and initial price. And while side 1 of that release is sonically stunning, I've read that side two lacks in comparison due to a different studio being used.

As for Dark Side, even though it's been released so many times, and there are so many other titles that can be chosen, I too, would love to hear a one step of this as well. I have the A3/B3 UK pressing of this, and it is fabulous. Hard to beat.

5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Mofi is doing a 33 rpm version of that album, Tullman, did you notice? But not a One-Step. I pre-ordered it awhile back.

Tullman and rollo5 like this.
  6. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Great takes guys, I've enjoyed reading the reactions so far. My order (from March 19) is still under backordered status but I'm being patient.

I have no experience with Audiophile S&G and...to be honest my first exposure to this album (and still the only way I've heard it years later) was through a 256kbps rip of this CD set:

[​IMG]

The sound is honestly pretty wretched (sounds like a needle drop in places...noisy master tape?) but I fell for the songs all the same. Still have yet to go beyond this album and half of Bookends tbh (although I have all 5 ripped), maybe I'll do that in the weeks I wait for my One Step!

7. Definitive?

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think that OneStep reissues and their extraordinary price should be limited to AAA A+ sounding titles. They ARE out there. Even some of the Rolling Stones titles, e.g. Let It Bleed, are wonderfully recorded and would qualify. Abbey Road would qualify. A few Dire Straits albums. Phil Collins' first two solo albums - AAA and beautifully recorded. How about Tom Waits' classic Closing Time album? The Eagles' albums were all really well recorded. So was Warren Zevon's wonderful Excitable Boy. There are a number of excellent and excellent sounding rock records that could be candidates for the OneStep process and would be worth the big bucks (as long as you like the music, of course).

And how about certain classical titles which would work on a 4-sided album such as symphonies (4 movements), piano quartets (same) , Pictures At An Exhibition?

ellingtonic and bajaed like this.
  9. AnalogJ

Hah!

Well, not having heard the Classic Records 45rpm, I can't personally say. But it betters the CR 33, and fairly significantly on a few cuts. But the problem is that some of the cuts are sort of low to mid-fi. And there's little apparent improvement on those.

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Well, if the one step process improves some cuts from the tape, then logically one must assume that it would also have some effect on all of the other tracks as well. Here's a good question since you have the Abraxas One Step: As I mentioned in an earlier post, it has been stated that side 2 (or 3 and 4 of the one step) is not up to the same sound standard as the first side. However, did the One Step process "improve" that second side over other pressings, even though it does not equal the first side?? Getting back to the BOTW pressing, I believe what you may be hearing on the cuts you believe to be sonically substandard are the warts from that particular track being fleshed out more for all to hear. I just can't believe that some tracks would show no difference between pressings while others are jaw dropping. I believe that the process may make some parts and tracks "more apparent," but there has to be "some" improvement going on even for the tracks that you believe to be poorly recorded.

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

All great titles!! Send the list to Music Direct, although I bet they have been flooded with "suggestions" from their adoring public since these products became available. Can you imagine a complete Beatles catalog on One Step ?!! Or Floyd?? It boggles the mind.

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

BOTW shipped

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Received #128.

Will be listening soon.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Beatles nor The Stones will ever be mastered by an audiophile label such as mfsl, AP etc. You can add Zeppelin or any other mega 60's/70's group to that list. Unfortunate, but reality.

Mine have shipped :thumbsup:

marcb, Tommyboy and OptimisticGoat like this.
  15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I see what you say but remember that MOFI has done both Beatles and Stones in the past, and Classics has done the Zeppelin, so, why not.

16. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I just received a shipping notice for Simon and Garfunkel.

17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Because now that vinyl has taken off again the majors can make more money selling their own releases than licensing to boutique labels. And as the tapes continue to age and deteriorate, there’s a risk of further damage every time they’re pulled out of storage and run through a tape machine. But, never say never, I guess.

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

They were in the past but I agree unlikely going forward.

mpayan, Mr. Explorer and SoundDoctor like this.
  19. AnalogJ

It's not a cut and dried answer. "The Boxer", for example, is severely compressed. The expansiveness quite noticeable on the best tracks is just not there, but the warts are more highlighted because of the even greater noticeable absence of dynamics.

Regarding Abraxas, the first couple of sides ARE astonishing! But the remaining sides are still good. It's not like they're lacking dynamics. But we're talking a 8 rather than 11. In comparison, we're talking about the dynamics and expansiveness of "Baby Driver" rating a 9, TB might rate a 4. You don't think of Phil Spector's production as being dynamic. So this reissue only shows the difference in quality between cuts even more.

20. AnalogJ

You mean "never?" Even though, as it has been pointed out that MoFi and Classic has taken on the big ones in the past?

Look, SONY/Columbia isn't letting digital reissues of Miles Davis out of their hands, at this point, but the specialty vinyl? MoFi is doing it.

Mr. Explorer and SoundDoctor like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

BOTW is a rock album.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They also want to sell albums too. How long will it take for a Warren Zevon album to sell out? I don’t think BOTW has sold out yet.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    marcb, mpayan and Cassius like this.
  23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

They seem to be shipping these pretty fast, initially people that ordered in October or November, not sure which, got their shipping notice first.
    I placed my order on January 21 and just got my shipping notice. I hope they are not rushing this too much, as already noted QC issues are being reported.
    I'm curious as to how many units were pressed in this first shipping lot. Really looking forward to getting this next Wednesday. :D

24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

The only way it will happen is if they charge you $400 for one of those One-Step releases.

25. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

AP is doing Floyd SACD's later this year.

AnalogJ and bajaed like this.