Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm glad you're going to listen for yourself before you make any judgement on anything else anyone has said.

That said, there are a number of people here with fine systems who have chimed in. Just because it sounds poorly recorded on systems doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't well recorded, but it might.

In any event, I'd be interested to see you write back after you make a visit, record in hand, to your hi-fi emporium.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

The sets were packaged and sealed by RTI. At least that was what I was told.

Mr. Explorer and dkurtis like this.
  3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Thank you for the correction.

4. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Not sure what you mean by your comment. I have listened to the whole set multiple times on my system. And as I said in an earlier comment, it sounds really good. All of it. What I want to know is if it can sound even better on that very first track (BOTW) on a more resolving rig.

teag and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

And the band plays on.......

rollo5 likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"A couple quick comments/impressions now that the usual stick shaking and belly aching seem to be subsiding. 1. My disc one, side 1, arrived messed up in a way I had not expected from an audiophile release. Music Direct replaced it pretty quickly though. 2. My take on why some people seem less than impressed with this release compared to other One Steps. Disc 2 sounds a bit better overall than disc 1 (at least on my rig). Whereas with Santana, you popped on that first record and got wowed, this release might be giving some a ho-hum first impression. I think this predisposes them to judge the whole based on that, even though folks like Mikey Fremer felt record 2 of Abraxas wasn't quite as good as the first disc. 3. People often equate amazing sound with records that are easily reproduced on most systems. I call this the "shower, not grower" effect. Many, many times I've gotten records that sounded ok to really ugly only to have them sound stellar after an upgrade. The track "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is a perfect example of a song that is really, really hard to reproduce. But just because it sounds congested on some systems doesn't mean the recording itself was done poorly. There's A LOT of stuff going on at the end of that song!"

There's just an awful lot of generalizing and casting aspersions on others' opinions in your statements. The first statement sounds condescending, and it assumes that those doing belly aching and stick shaking aren't making informed, valid assessments.

You then say you're going to go to a hifi shop that has a really good system on which you can play it and get a more informed opinion. This is a good thing. I would have waited until after you went to your hifi shop to chime in on whether what you heard there either confirms that the title cut probably suffers from overmodulation during the recording and is a problem cut (in spite of Garfunkel's vocal sounding velvety and delicately detailed), or you can report that the really good system solved the problems with the track.

But saying "the usual stick shaking and belly aching seems to be subsiding", that comes off as dismissive. There are some of us who truly have really good, revealing systems, and who have very good ears. Those people can really add a lot to the discussion, as they can speak even more to the strengths and weaknesses of a recording. It's one of the downsides of having a more revealing system. Often times, more challenging sonics can be mined better with a better system. But problem areas can be exposed. Sometimes recordings can be revealed to be worse in comparison to the great ones.

But you have a pretty good system, my friend. I can't speak for your ears, but I'd just be careful generalizing about those who may have issues with a pressing. It's partly why we're here in the this forum. Most of us want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly (as well as the in-between). Anything we read here, of course, is not necessarily what we'll hear for ourselves, but we're trying to share our experiences.

7. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Points well taken. Thank you for clarification.

AnalogJ likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I posted this on the S and G One Step thread but as folk are discussing this album on here this is my question.

Anyone got this One Step "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from Acoustic Sounds yet? My order states shipped and my card has been charged but the link to Fed Ex on the account page states cancelled by sender. I have emailed Acoustic Sounds but no reply yet. Fortunately I ordered this album from Diverse in the UK and it arrived a few days ago. I find Acoustic Sounds a bit hard to deal with - I live in the UK.

On a separate note is there or is there planned a One Step Dylan Blood on the Tracks?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  9. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Blood on the Tracks is planned.

Flaming Torch and SoundDoctor like this.
  10. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Well, due to all the horror stories I thought it would be a good idea to open both my copies. I ordered two copies from Music Direct in December 2017. Both copies, although not played are pristine in every way. Both copies have the correct records and the boxes are not scuffed. Lucky I guess!

11. hermanenmonja

hermanenmonja Forum Resident

Nr. 5686, bought in the Netherlands. Both records there and in pristine shape, though the covers were a little bit damaged on the top. Strange phenomenon...
    Played it once now and very pleased with it, wonderfull pressing!

Mr. Explorer, RTurner and SoundDoctor like this.
  12. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

That's great - I have #5630 that is currently sealed. No reports of problems with 2 LP1's anywhere near this number.

13. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

All's well that ends well - I received my replacement LP2 on Thursday and played it yesterday. It's basically flawless and sounds amazing. This MoFi episode is over for me. And I WILL order Blood On The Tracks. :righton:

14. hermanenmonja

hermanenmonja Forum Resident

Have send a mail to MoFi. Hope they can replace the covers.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Have finally got around to listening to BOTW.

In my opinion for music:

1. Sunday At The Village Vanguard
    2. BOTW
    3. Abraxas
    4. Nightfly

and for sonics:

1. BOTW
    2. Sunday At The Village Vanguard
    3. Abraxas
    4. Nightfly

Bring on some more...

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Wow, that's high praise for the sound on BOTW. I agree but don't have Abraxas or Sunday to compare it to. I looked at your equipment profile, and it looks like you have some real nice hardware as well. I have read that the first lp of Abraxas is jaw dropping, but you place it third on the list. Any particular reason?

Echoes Myron and bajaed like this.
  17. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Hi Sam - thanks for your question. Let me elaborate a bit more:

For me BOTW has the biggest improvement over any other version I own (including Classic Records 33 and UK original) especially the first side - which has had some not so positive comments on this thread - for me it is as if a veil has been lifted and the title track sounds light and not so overblown. Sides 2, 3 and 4 are just stunning.

SATVV - again is wonderful and I think edges the superlative AP45 mastered by our host and Kevin Gray, and is well ahead of the OJC/AP 180g LP - but I haven't heard an original.

Abraxas - you are right the first side is just amazing as is the second side - for 3 and 4 the level drops slightly and this is why its third on my list. If the whole LP was like side 1, it may have moved SATVV down one, but BOTW is still the best

The Nightfly - not my favorite record and the least improvement I feel from an already good original and the Chris Bellman / Rhino 180g reissue

Mr. Explorer and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Order by Phone Toll Free 1-888-926-2564
    Fax 785-825-0156
    Phone Outside USA 785-825-8609

I would call Acoustic Sounds, email is sometimes a waiting game.

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks all sorted now. No fault of Acoustic Sounds - I deleted an email which explained all without reading it first.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is the S&G album? What's your numbers? Both inner sleeves and no scratches or scuffs? Let us know after you play your lps how the sounds were?

21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

With MOFI's Abraxas SACD DSD layer, you get mostly there compared to the One-Step.
    For Bridge Over Troubled Water, the original cd and mastersound gold disc don't come close to this One Step.

Just my opinion.

James Bennett and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You know, I’m not sure about the ranking but on subsequent listenings I agree with you. I’ve found this BOTW sounds truly amazing.

Jellis77 likes this.
  23. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Final comment on my experience - Music Direct technically has a policy of no refund - replacement or store credit for music purchases. But they refunded my purchase with a credit card credit upon receiving my return of BOTW #2214 (sealed). I would have been fine with the store credit but this was better. Good for them. :cheers:

24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Received a copy from AcousticSounds that I had forgotten that I had ordered. Opened the box to see what shape the packaging and the vinyl itself was in. I have to say I was very impressed. All looked OK and the box itself, the sleeves, and the records all look near mint to me. I'm happy with it, for sure.

I don't have a vinyl setup currently - won't be able to comment on sound quality for quite a while.

Echoes Myron and Mr. Explorer like this.
  25. tcinoz

tcinoz Well-Known Member

I bought a MoFi BOTT when it first came out but ended up selling it after comparing it to my original US copy. After reading more rave comments about it on various forums and after a hi-fi upgrade, I got to thinking maybe I'd missed something, so bought a second copy six months after selling my first one. Verdict? Same result. The original pressing made the MoFi one sound coarse and indistinct by comparison. I'm genuinely at a loss to understand why it gets such positive reviews. That said, I'll be sure to give the One-step version a try should it appear; it is in my all-time top 3 favourite albums, after all, and the couple of One-step releases I own sound superb.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018