Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

None that I know of...

2. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

The question is: will there be more, or is this a limited series with only 6-8 titles?

3. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Ok so likely to be an American artist also a decent seller or audiophile favorite and not had a too recent reissue.

My speculations are:

Blonde on Blonde - mono
    Aja
    Crosby Stills and Nash
    Time Out
    Workingmansdead

4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just pre ordered the Marvin Gaye. This one I am much more interested in than the Simon and Garfunkel. I will also be getting the Dylan if that happens.

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I can’t see them doing Aja. They would have to work with a tape copy and I’m sure they would prefer to use master analog copies/the best digital sources for this series I would think as emphasis is on the best sound quality.

6. SoundDoctor

I think Kind Of Blue is a possibility...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I wonder if they would do Doolittle, since it's been out of print for a while. or is that not audiophile enough?

8. When I first read about the MoFi 1-Step process WGO came to mind immediately. I thought, if this is an improvement over the already superlative and stunning OMG I'm in for a real treat. My only slight concern is the crossfade into every song, but I think (or at least have faith in) that they'll handle this with aplomb. I will then have 2 versions (33 & 45) which I can play depending on how I feel. The 33 if I want to be lazy or just listen to it as I always have or the 45 for the best possible sound quality. Win-Win! :)

9. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

They just re-pressed the 45rpm box set. I doubt it.

10. Don't count on it. KOB has been reissued so often and is the darling of the audiophile world. It'll happen.

Mr. Explorer and SoundDoctor like this.
  11. SoundDoctor

I wonder if KOB repress was on the new SuperVinyl that they've been slipping into orders of "unsuspecting customers..."

MisterBritt and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. SoundDoctor

Probably not "audiophile" enough. They would be more likely to give the UD1S treatment to Surfer Rosa as it has that fantastic drum sound.

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

As long as were dreaming about what we like to see get the One Step treament.....how about some
    Dire Straits
    Supertramp
    The Alan Parsons Project
    Gary Wright

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  14. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Dreaming is great, but I was thinking about likely titles. I'm surprised they're doing two Bill Evans, but no Miles announced yet. I guess those are mostly still available. Bitches Brew isn't, but that would require splitting long tracks over two sides, which I doubt they'll do. Too bad, as that would make for a great title in the series.

Too bad they don't have rights to Coltrane. What I would do for a Love Supreme!

15. SkeeterD

SkeeterD Well-Known Member

Oh my what a thought... that and Meditations. I would lose my mind! :uhhuh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. SoundDoctor

In addition to not having the rights, they would also have to use a 2nd gen tape for A Love Supreme. I'm sure they want to stick with the original masters for this series. I have the AP SACD and it's good enough for the price.

Wonder if they would ever consider doing 33rpm One-Step releases.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Meditations will never happen. Not even AP would touch that. Too radical. (Too bad.)

Well, I would jump on a One-Step Bitches Brew 33rpm.

18. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Huh. I'm not all that familiar with it either and wasn't going to order it based on Side One, Plus I have the earlier release. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard Side Two. I still haven't but I caved in and placed an order what the heck.

19. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I also think the Pixies just aren’t popular enough to attract enough demand at $125 each. Seems doubtful they would be able to sell all 7500 copies of any Pixies title.

Not bashing the Pixies at all - just thinking they want to cast a broad net with safe titles that are guaranteed to sell out.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  20. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Yeah once the price and quantity went up, I'm less inclined to order two.

21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Wow--I'd strongly recommend giving side 2 a listen. Stylistically it isn't radically different from side 1, but it opens with a long (but satisfyingly developing, rather than meandering) track that sounds not entirely unlike Traffic at their most adventurous, goes into an almost achingly beautiful spiritual tune, and concludes with a pretty powerful statement that I gather was a third single, though I'd never heard it before. Overall, the side feels more powerful and cohesive than the first side, IMHO.

Mr. Explorer and Vinylfindco like this.
  22. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I'd guess Pixies would outsell Bill Evans, but what do I know.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

A One Step Doolittle would be amazing. The regular MOFI was so good I bought two.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

That might be true in the broader market, but Evans has a particular draw for audiophile jazz fans. Audiophile reissues of his more well-known releases are sure sell-outs. Not sure if the same could be said for the Pixies.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Wanna sell me one? :wave:

Echoes Myron likes this.