Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Wish I could but they are keepers!

2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

CSNY "DejaVu" or "So Far"

mrob0000, Tullman and Echoes Myron like this.
  3. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

I did order my two copies

dkurtis and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Just a quick update re BOTW — had pressing issues on both LP 1 and LP2 that didn't subside w/ cleaning or multiple plays. Also had scratched sleeves. MoFi support has been excellent and will be sending replacements for sleeves and LPs. The mastering is just wonderful, some of the best sounding LPs in the collection.

Mr. Explorer and SoundDoctor like this.
  5. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

After a detailed listen, I agree that BOTW is a mixed bag, sonically speaking. Side one is "meh," okay but not jaw-droppingly great. Side two was pretty great, especially "Cecilia." "The Boxer" sounded okay, but "Baby Driver" was pretty clear and dynamic. Side four was the real gold, though. "Only Living Boy" is heavenly (and I say that as a non-religious person) and the music truly cuts through the crowd on "Bye Bye Love." "Why Don't You Write Me" is less annoying as a song, but "Song For The Asking" was just okay, nothing too special. In addition to the compression and less than ideal recording quality, this UD1S also revealed volume issues on the master tape. Levels are extremely variable between and within tracks (even though there are plenty of dynamics), and it can be a bit detrimental to the listening experience. I think Mofi needed to make some songs much louder to match the others. Overall, I'd probably give it a 9 out of 11 for sound, with the best parts being a 10.5 maybe. Mainly due to variable volume and limitations of the tape.

6. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Supertramp Crime of the Century is perfect for this 4 side one step type release.

7. David P. Hill

FashionBoy, what was your limited numbers, just curious where yours were from mine, #1418 & 2207. I haven't opened mine yet. Thinking about opening the #1418. The #2207 is in the range for those had the 2 - 1LP's instead of LP 1 & LP What were your issues on LP1 andLP2? Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Hi David, my BOTW # is 1642. I had the correct LPs but there were some bad pops and noises that seem to be pressing faults. Hopefully your #1418 is perfect, please let us know! I think you will be delighted with the mastering.

9. So what kind of sleeves/bags are people using to protect their BOTW one step? My normal boxset bags don’t fit

10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

ZippyPippy and MisterBritt like this.
  11. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I remove the records from both the box and cardboard sleeves and store separate for easy play access. The records can be placed in quality MFSL inner sleeves and stored in generic cardboard outer sleeves in your collection. I then wrap the box in saran wrap for storage. The boxes are the weakest link and show the greatest wear.

mpayan and OptimisticGoat like this.
  12. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I do basically the same. I wish Mofi would develop a custom outer sleeve for these one-step boxes. They could sell it for a couple bucks and sell thousands. If they will continue this series indefinitely, it's something "someone" should be thinking of.

Mr. Explorer and dkurtis like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If they keep reissuing it every year they will soon kill the master tape and there will only be the best digital transfer to fall back on.

SoundDoctor and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  14. Classicrock

They will fit in standard 'box set' size polythene protective sleeves - a few pence each.

15. Classicrock

Mine do - just! Forget where I bought these - Ebay I think.

16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Mark Wilder created a new stereo mix down to analog tape from the three track tape in 1997. That 1997 stereo tape is what MOFI used for their Kind of Blue.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Classicrock

18. David P. Hill

AtlTrav, have you emailed or called MoFi about your idea? I have thought about this long before the One-Step had come out. I was thinking about all these box sets that have come out the last several years. The thickness of these outer liner coverings would need to be increments of various sizes to fit properly. Also I would hope if these were produced, we be able to buy them as single covers instead of a 15-25pk, the same thickeness because say if you had 10 different box sets with different thickness could be expensive buying 10 different sets of thickness. Any other ideas, feel free to say,

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I'm just being particular and wanting a "custom" sleeve that would look almost unnoticeable on my shelf. Most of my box sets look out of place on shelves because the sleeves are too "baggy".

20. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I was just thinking of a sleeve to the specs of the one-step boxes. I don't expect a company to cater to all the possible sizes of box sets that exist. Now that mofi is making outer sleeves, it might be worth contacting them about the idea.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. David P. Hill

Totally agree with you, don't like the "baggy look", looks stuff in a refrigerator. Like the custom sleeve fit look.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

As far as the upcoming SRV albums, I'd really rather not order them until I hear them because I have a hard time believing they will beat the recent 45RPM releases by Analog Productions.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I don't know why they are bothering with them.

mpayan and SoundDoctor like this.
  24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Mofi may have a better cutting system, but I'd rather get the AP releases at less than half the price of a UD1S. There is no good reason to release these other than to make more $$$ and litter hifi shows with more copies of "Couldn't Stand The Weather."

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I gotta say, for me, the selections for this series going forward are not that exciting. They better knock it out of the park with What Goes On