Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

If they manage to license Maiden and AC/DC titles i will consider throwing some money around :D

wwright, telepicker97 and Robert C like this.
  2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

What say me ?

I say...when I can find the occasional MFSL cd at Goodwill, for instance, for 99 cents in perfect shape....$99 for vinyl is ridiculous.

Unbelievable how some prices for things are considered such a pittance for the wealthy. Some things are beyond 'relative' and fall into the absurdity column.

Whoever affords this either charged too much for their product (in their line of work), pay their employees too little...or are just so filthy rich from other means that they should be philanthropists.

Sneaky Pete and Robert C like this.
  3. I'm with ya! Not only that, but this (these) pressings are an unknown quantity for the moment. No one knows whether these will be major, minor or marginal improvements. The marketing hype is all well and good, but "show me the money".

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Their blurb doesn't really mention the purity of analogue sound though, it's specifically concerned with reducing surface noise. This method seems to be a solution to a problem that's already been solved.

telepicker97 likes this.
  5. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Pressed in "finite batches", which apparently is unique as typically records are pressed in infinite batches, cost and practicality be damned (when will the madness stop?).

6. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

You think THAT 's bad ??

You should take a glimpse of the absurdity going on
    in the world of baseball card collecting these days ...

bryce harper | eBay ยป

:yikes:

Mr. Explorer and Wounded Land like this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If they press any of my all time favorites, I'll probably get them. After checking this site first to see if they really are better of course lol

8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yeah there is a possiblity MFSL would be able to license the good stuff with that profit margin.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. These are catered to collectors, potentially fans of specific titles and the financially well-healed. These are "luxury products".

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Exactly.

I won't be replacing hundreds of my albums with these, but if this proves to be something really good,
    but I might buy a favorite record or two.

AnalogJ likes this.
  11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

$100 is nothing in today's society. You don't have to be filthy rich to drop a $100. Heck, two people going out to a ball game cost more than that, and the experience is OVER in 3 hours. Tickets, parking, food, etc. Have you been out to a good dinner lately? For two people, a good restaurant is easily $100 with tip. And guess where that ends up eventually? :winkgrin: If the sound is there, and it's a title that I like, that $100 will give me back YEARS of enjoyment, while at the same time INCREASING in value. Can't get that out of the other examples I mentioned.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well-heeled, unless you were injured. :laugh:

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed. But these days many people buy luxury goods of some kind. My 13 year old niece has an expensive designer bag.
    People pick their spots, splurge on something special, not necessarily build and entire billionaire lifestyle with "only the finest" things.
    It's mix and match these days for many consumers. Shop at Target or Walmart for one thing, and a designer store for another.

14. True enough and I'm certainly not unopposed to buying something more upscale...have done so many times and mostly been pleased. For now I'm going to take a wait and see attitude and if they really are that much more superior.....I could potentially cave on a few titles.

AnalogJ and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

You can't just take everyone's word for it either. With a release like this, some will spend the $100 and say it's the best ever, just because they don't want to face the fact that maybe it wasn't what they expected.

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

$30 is my limit.

17. Yep. I'd certainly want a broad range of views/opinions for any title under consideration before biting the bullitt.

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

That's because there aren't any "three-dimensional sonic and emotional heights" on AC/DC's "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)". :D

Chris Schoen and Mr. Explorer like this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Puppies?

bluejimbop and Myke like this.
  20. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I think many of these posts are highly skeptical partially because the description provided for the product somewhat skews towards marketing terms that one would associate with stores like Anthropologie and Restoration Hardware.
    When slapped by the $100 price tag, I'm approaching this product as... What is so special about it to justify the cost?
    "Reaches sonic heights never before achieved by Analog"
    "Opulent Box"
    "Special jackets"
    "Unique insert"
    "Fine art print of the Original painting"
    "No expense spared on Very Limited audiophile pressing"
    "Reaches three dimensional sonic and emotional heights never before attained"
    "Extremely limited"
    "Created in finite batches"
    "Brings you closer to the music"
    "Curatorial artifact meant to be preserved, poured over, touched and examined"
    " intended to be passed on to future generations"

Of course, many of these general "mouth watering - bells and whistles" descriptions are provided with most high-end releases. But by breaking the $100 mark, I'd expect a little more. Just where is the sample sound bite?
    How about a sample close up digital picture of the "fine art print"? Show me the line quality, and the precise printing with immaculate color and separation!!!

Note: At first I thought my slightly sarcastic post regarding including a bottle of wine with music may have been ludicrous.
    But, since I'm reading from your post the actual target audience may enjoy this opulent box, along with a glass of their favorite wine, I guess I wasn't too far off the marketing mark!

Mr. Explorer and Vinyl Addict like this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No, it's not "the not paying $17 for a cheeseburger", it's asserting that it's not worth it without actually having tasted one.

22. AnalogJ

That makes no sense to me, if it were being released in very limited quantities and was, by far, the best sounding, most enjoyable version of an album that you love.

FashionBoy likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

Right. LISTEN to them or wait until you see reviews. Why are you all over them now!?

24. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Please pardon this question if it represents the height of ignorance, but is this process anything like Direct to Disc? I bought a used copy of Blood, Sweat, and Tears and on the inner sleeve there was an interesting diagram that attempted to explain the process they used. Unfortunately it ultimately left me confused, even though I think I was beginning to understand many parts of the record making process that had heretofore confused me.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Ok. It's admitting you wouldn't pay $17 to find out what the cheeseburger tastes like. I suppose there is a distinction there. It doesn't change my point I don't think.

Vinyl Addict likes this.