Moby - "Play": New "Re-recorded" version via Vinyl Me Please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I imagine they’ll get removed, I did some testing with clickrepair RT (which I imagine works the same way) and it removes the vinyl ‘effect’ from Glory Box, also did the same with some Tricky tracks.

ToneLa likes this.
  2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

We’ll soon see. I wonder though if the clicks and pops are part of the musical audio waves, if the Sugarcube will allow them to pass through? I would think the software is programmed to instantly recognize only disruptions to that analog wave caused by physical impediments in and to the grooves, that’s it’s purpose after all.

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I'm interested to hear if the "Play" original samples have been altered in any way and if there were associated licensing issues

They Call Me M and ToneLa like this.
  4. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Oh man. Thanks for your own experimentation... But than might give me nightmares!

I think triphop in general loved its hiss soundtrack-like tones. Plus a lot of it is kinda MEANT to sound screwed up, yknow?

Ah well. Let's see what Moby does or doesn't do.

I can listen to those field recordings all day, and cry. But take the blues from "Play" and you're left with fairly inventive techno, pads and.. That guitar and flute song is great!

Mintsauce likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is this exclusive to the club or will it get a general release?

6. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Dunno, but given the work Moby apparently put into it I can't imagine it'll be an exclusive forever.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  7. anthony coviello

anthony coviello New Member

I got through side A and started side B which begins with Southside with Gwen Stefani. I don't think the whole of the record is re-recorded but i can here the parts that are and so far they do not hurt my feelings. I will give it a few more listens before posting further on this.

8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I believe he only re-recorded some keyboard or effects...not complete re-recording as I am sure Gwen has other things to do than hang out with Moby these days.

9. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I didn't think Southside was on the Original album?

10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

It was but it didn't have Gwen singing on it if I recall correctly.

11. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

I think the deal was, she was always on it but Moby preferred how her voice was boosted in the subsequent single mix, so he replaced the original LP version with this remix.

c-eling likes this.
  12. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

interesting, did not know this. I would have preferred "18" instead as I think that is a more cohesive album and is also pretty rare.

13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No credits for her on the 18 track US 1999 release (except as a thanks in the outro credits)
    She's buried so deep I had a hard time figuring out it was her.
    The 2000 single contains-Southside (Featuring Gwen Stefani), Southside (Original Album Version)
    He would repeat this later on with a few guest vocalists in two different languages for Slipping Away.
    Were there subsequent release's with her vocal mix included?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Hmmm, I loved this album when it came out and played it constantly. Southside is a great track, I never heard the single mix so not sure I want to now hear the album with Gwen Stefani belting it out.

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

How does the current EU pressing of Play sound on vinyl?

16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I can swear that Gwen is on my LP version of Play, and I do not have the newer reissue...I'll have to go back and check. Is there at least a female vocal that isn't her?

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

My memory of it was that it was re-recorded for the single. It’s Moby singing the lead, is she supposed to be on backing vocals on the original?

Edit: according to wikipedia they had to leave her vocals off the original album version and then rerecorded it for the single. If the new album version has her singing that’s a deal breaker. I want to hear that album as I know it, not like some George Lucas tweaked product.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    DHamilton likes this.
  18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Nevermind, total Mandela Effect on this song, neither Gwen or any other female backup singer is present on the original. I only added Gwen to the music in my mind...

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Is that him on harmony as well?? Sounds like a female :laugh:

20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

You want to hear Gwen...its really funny cause I always thought she sang on it.

c-eling likes this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

will be interesting to listen to, but i'm glad i was able to pick up a vinyl copy with the original mixes too.

22. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I don't recall Gwen on my OP of this record either and, now that you mention it, I don't think there is a female on it either.

cyclistsb likes this.
  23. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I wrote VMP about the referral code not working. If it didn't work for you, email me and I will send them your information. They said they would fix it and give you $10 off a subscription.

24. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Mines out for delivery today...along with a new (used) preamp....should be a good listening night!

c-eling likes this.
  25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

They put the Gwen version on this reissue, so far I can't say the original is better than the new version....still,on side b record one

If you don't own it, get this one...it rocks...if you own the original, and don't want Gwen...then it's a wash.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Ben Adams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.