Moby - "Play": New "Re-recorded" version via Vinyl Me Please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

To be fair, they weren't being purposefully cagey - people were on Xmas vacation. Also it's doubtful Moby provided them with a laundry list of fixes he made. Several people in their forums were pretty unpleasant about it. Made me want to quit almost the moment I signed up over there.

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I received my copy on Thursday. I'm very happy with it, a nice flat, quiet pressing which is the norm from VMP in my experience. The sonics are good, a few re-mixed, and/or re-recorded parts jump out, buy nothing I found objectionable. I'll have to make some time this weekend to do a direct comparison with the CD version.

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I really like this cut and pressing. It’s flat, centered, silent and it sounds good on my system.

I am not a fan of the Stefani South Side version, but I can live with it.

c-eling likes this.
  4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Anyone get an email regarding Play the B-Sides being released on vinyl? The preorder link is now broken....odd

Midweek Mailer - SOV 17.01

5. When I hear things have been re-recorded it makes me nervous.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I know but sometimes artists choose to when something is missing on the original masters and a fully faithful remix can't be made. The original is not going anywhere right? Several million copies sold

wayneklein likes this.
  7. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I got it and ordered it this morning. It’s probably my favorite Moby album.

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

spun mine last night and i'm hard pressed to say that anything really stood out as being "new" or "re-recorded" when in comparison to the original. of course this version has the dubbed gwen stefani version of "south side" which i've always felt was lame compared to the original, but other than that everything sounds great and just like i remember it.

9. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I don't think the holidays are an excuse here. They were able to post an announcement about the thing. If nothing else, they should've been candid about including the Stefani version of "South Side" since people asked about it and that's incredibly easy to determine. I certainly would've swapped if I'd known. For what it's worth, I've never bought Since I Left You on vinyl specifically because of the changes for the worse compared to the original CDs.

10. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

This (Play the B-Sides red vinyl) arrived today. Very quiet, sounds really nice to me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    jimhb and cyclistsb like this.
  11. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

.... is there any indication of a digital release of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.