Modern Lovers S/T vinyl recommendation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZootAllures, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy the Modern Lovers self titled vinyl.

I know there's a recent reissue on 4 Men With Beards, but I'm avoiding it based on the forum member's consensus that 4MWB put out below par product.

So I'm hoping for suggestions for what release to buy. I notice lots of original Beserkley Records available on the eBay including Dutch, German & UK pressings for affordable prices. Some Rhino and Get Back reissues too for basically the same prices

Suggestions?

p.s. I would be willing to try the 4MWB since it's under $20 if there's approval...

2. ZootAllures

Bump for the Friday evening crowd. Anyone?

3. simonux

simonux Custom Title

I have the UK pressing that sounds pretty good, it's the only one i have, so no advice on the other pressings, sorry...

4. serge

serge Forum Resident

i want to say i have the rhino 80s reissue and it sounded ok to me

5. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

A couple years ago I found a cheap EX+ copy on Home Of The Hits :)D) but those are hard to come by. The Rhino release from the '80's is quite good. Avoid the Get Back release like the plague!

6. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The Rhino 80s issue has three extra tracks, Government Center, Dignified & Old, and I'm Straight - argueably among the very best songs on the album - so, to me this is the version you want.

shutdown66, dogpile and marc with a c like this.
  7. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Can't agree with this enough. "I'm Straight" is completely unacceptable to live without.

mfp, Sneaky Pete and tremspeed like this.
  8. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

True about those bonus tracks, but if you find a Beserkely or Home of the Hits 1970s copy first, you'll want to grab it -- even the Rhino is fairly scarce I believe, and nothing beats the sound of the early pressings with the shorter LP sides (my limited shelf space still finds room for HOTH and Rhino copies :) )

9. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I own a copy of the "4 Men With Beards" reissue, but it 's really not good
    (worse than other "4 Men With Beards" reissues that I own).

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

what? Dignified and I'm straight and Government Center are extra tracks?

i did not remember this... glad I have the Rhino.. i can't imagine this album without these songs..

11. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've got the original Beserkley LP that I remember picking up in a department/discount store for $1 around 1980. Haven't listened to it in at least 20 years, so I need to dig it out and give it a spin.

12. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Home Of The Hits copies the initial pressings & predate the Berserkley copies? I thought Berserkley was the label name decided on after they went with Home Of The Hits for a short while. Again, I dunno but I seem to remember reading something along those lines.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

This is correct. The original 1976 vinyl only has 9 tracks, no "Government Center"or "I'm Straight" or "Dignified and Old".

GetHappy!! likes this.
  14. ZootAllures

Hmmm, I just may have to break the bank and buy an original pressing and the Rhino reissue is what I'm hearing!

If anyone is looking to sell, keep your eyes open for my WTB listing in the Classifieds :cool:

15. mfp

mfp Senior Member

There's one at Paul's Boutique... :)

[​IMG]

Colin Allstations and funknik like this.
  16. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I have long avoided buying this LP due to it's relative expense and different incarnations. My gut told me to go with an original Home of the Hits -- that shorter sides would sound better and the 70s vinyl would be better pressed and mastered . . . BUT, I knew I was going to miss those extra 3 tunes, and when I found a sealed copy of the Rhino 80's press on eBay, I jumped on it. It should be waiting for me when I get home from work -- I doubt if it will sound as good as a HOTH original, but I'll probably never know.

17. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Got a chance to listen to the Rhino 80's press last night and it's pretty good . . . I can imagine it sounding a little better - this has a slightly bright, sparkly sheen that makes it sound slightly thin . . . reminds me of the sound on a lot of 80's recordings/LPs - I'm not sure if it's the mastering/pressing or the music itself (my copy was cut by Ken Perry at k-disc) . . . I thought that the 3 bonus tracks here sounded the best along with "Pablo Picasso." Overall, I'm happy, but if I run into a Home of the Hits original, I will probably still buy it.

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's probably the music. After all, the record is a collection of demos and not really a "real" album.

19. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

true enough, although I was thinking while I was listening to this last night, "All of these John Cale-produced tracks sound finished - like for demos, there was definitely a consistent, sympathetic, deliberate sound achieved here - the mix, playing and EQ seem totally dialed-in . . . 'Pablo Picasso' in particular sounds crafted. Man these guys really had something.

20. D Lucas

D Lucas Forum Resident

i have the 4MWB reissue - i have never thought it good sounding .. In fact it's pretty bad and i am gonna return it to them. Cons

21. paul....r

paul....r Well-Known Member

Just noticed that this album had been repressed on vinyl. According to discogs they released a standard black version and also a ltd. blue. Released on August 21,2015....has anybody picked one up. I'd be interested in hearing a review if anybody had any more info. I've been watching copies (home of the hits and bersekly) on ebay..... but they are fetching quite a bit more than I'd like to spend. Could this possibly be a good alternative?

22. paul....r

thought I'd try bumping this. Maybe somebody knows something about this new repressing?

23. scottcon

scottcon Forum Resident

I picked up this new pressing. Split black and translucent blue vinyl from Newbury Comics. It came with a decent cover, and flat, defect-free vinyl. Very quiet pressing. I don't have an original to compare with, but sounds fine. Happy with it.

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

All I can add that the coloured Get Back! pressing is not good. When I found a (German) original it had to....well... get back;)

25. paul....r

I was thinking the 4 men w/ beards and get back pressings both had a pretty bad reputation around these parts. Thanks for the info Scottcon. It seems kind of strange that this repress came out w/ little info or hype. It seems like a fairly popular and scarce record that fetches quite a bit on Ebay regularly. I wish there was more info about this available. Did they use the master tapes, was it remastered, etc. I really don't know much about BMG or there reputation when it comes to re-releasing older titles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.