Modern Lovers S/T vinyl recommendation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZootAllures, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottcon

scottcon Forum Resident

I don't have other pressings to compare to, but this one from Newbury has "BMG 15055M-A" and what looks like "WGIMP" scratched in the dead wax on side A, and "BMG 15055V-B" and what looks like "MP'" on side B.

paul....r likes this.
  2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

+1 on the Rhino version. Those three extra songs are absolutely essential.

marc with a c, jmczaja and funknik like this.
  3. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

Has anyone else picked up the 2015 pressing and care to comment about the quality? I see the black vinyl version in a local shop.

4. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I have the 2015 colored vinyl version and the Rhino pressing.. You really can't go wrong with either but it's great to have the additional songs on the Rhino pressing as already mentioned. My copy of the 2015 is a quiet and flat pressing for whatever thats worth. Great album!

Dino likes this.
  5. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I agree those 3 missing songs are essential. Another missed opportunity.

Do you think the 2015 sounds about the same as the Rhino? I hope it's at least better than the 4 Men W/ Beards & Get Back.

6. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I just listened to a track off of each and they sound really similar.. I can't really say i'd choose one over the other with the exception of the extra tracks. It's a shame that the Rhino version is hard to come across these days and when you do, it's a bit pricey!

Dino likes this.
  7. kdl6769

kdl6769 Forum Resident

Looks like there's a version on Music On Vinyl too. Has anyone heard that one?

8. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I have a 2015 black pressing on the Sanctuary/BMG label. No other versions for comparison and haven't played it for a while. Recall it sounding quite nice but will reacquaint myself with it tomorrow and report back.......

9. danner

danner Forum Resident

I remember seeing a copy of the Rhino LP at a thrift store in high school, back before I knew anything about the album (it only caught my attention because of the long-haired Jerry Harrison on the cover). I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing it.

10. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

.......Just gave it a spin and if anything it sounds a tad better than I remember. Nothing to shout from the rooftops about but it's nice enough. Certainly not thin and bright like an earlier poster's description of the Rhino pressing, I'd say this one sounds reasonably full bodied and warmish. It's the type of record that you can turn the volume up a couple of notches more than normal without the fear of blood dripping from your ears. Probably needs it too as it sounds better with the wick turned up a bit. Pressing is nice and quiet but spoiled by edge warp. It's not too bad but when I cue up side two the stylus tends to jump into the first groove or two of the music. I use a record clamp which stops this happening most of the time.

I found my copy on Amazon UK priced £21, which isn't cheap, but one or two others I came across at the time were nearer £30, so not a bad buy.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hasn't this just been released this week? First copies on numbered white vinyl.

12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

MOFI 2x45 LP (w/ the three extra tracks.) Let's make this happen!

13. Another vote for the Newbury edition. It looks cool, sounds good, and even comes with a download for your portables. Why look elsewhere, until it's sold out?

14. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Would like to also hear any reviews/comments on the new MOV version

15. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Has anybody heard the Music On Vinyl release? Is it any good?

16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Any opinion about the MOV LP?

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Help

18. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

It sounds good to me. Nothing bad to say about it.

Sear likes this.
  19. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Just want to add that the good version of this album is available on U.S. Spotify, with all the bonus cuts. That probably helps spread the love, doesn’t it? Roadrunner

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I received the MOV LP.
    It sounds great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.