ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Universal Blu-Ray player - Tube Modifications

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by James_S888, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know anything about this company and the modifications it is making to the Oppo BDP95 ??

It sounds like they are making a real improvement to an already very good sounding player.
    better yet, has anyone heard one of these things??

2. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

I've heard only good things about ModWright. But I've never actually heard their products.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have a ModWright Sony, the best for not much dough..

4. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

Dan is a really good guy and while I've not heard the Oppo mod I have heard his transporter mods and they sounded great.

I haven't looked at this mod specifically but most of his mods seem to be based around a similar output stage he doesn't seem to futz around with the dec stage.

Another great company is John Tucker's exemplar audio his denon mods were awesome.

5. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

I certainly regret selling the Modwright Sony I had. But I was moving to hard drive based digital audio, so it still made good sense overall.

6. The Master

The Master Forum Resident

I will admit I've never heard the stock 95. Rather I had an Oppo 93, before upgrading to a Modwright Oppo 95 (all of the mods applied including Bybee rails, ss multi-channel, and tube mod, etc). And I can say that compared to the 93 it got rid of all the audio issues I dis liked about the 93. Mainly the sense that most recordings (including our host's masterings) had a slight brightness to them due to an etched thiness in the upper frequency spectrum, this quality was most noticeable on Brass instruments and Cymbals.

--The Master

7. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks all.
    I had a look at the Modwright Sony, I think if I just wanted SACD and CD, I'd go for that, but I'm looking for Blueray too, plus being able to plug in a USB stick...

It's looking like the Modwright Oppo

8. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

I have both the Sony and the Oppo 95 with the same tubestage and tube rectified power supply. Used in different systems, but tested on the same one. They are both excellent, and very close in sound quality: the tubes really open up the midrange. The mod is only on the analog end, so the digital circuitry (including HDMI) is unaffected, which is handy when the family just wants to watch a movie and you don't want certain young members turning the tube circuit on and off unsupervised.

BIG ED likes this.
  9. voigtskins

voigtskins Member

I am also interested in the Modwright Oppo-95.Does the TUBE edition sound better than his regular 95 upgrade.I have had the 95 and thought the sound was great but always wanted to try a Modwright 95.

10. Peter Harrar

My 95 also has his multichannel upgrade for the 5.1 outputs, which is solid state and provides a basis of comparison. That mod definitely gives more refinement to the stock unit. But the "wow" factor warmth and bloom are in the tubes.

11. Ronm1

Ronm1 Forum Resident

I have Modwright mod'd Dac's. Work was even approved by the vendor so no loss in warantee at the time. I found that quite impressive on its own.

12. voigtskins

voigtskins Member

How much for the upgrade and is the sound worth the money.

13. Peter Harrar

14. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've owned an Oppo 83SE with Dan's tube mod for about two years. Single best audio purchase I've made. Dan's 95 is beautiful sounding, and worth every penny. I recommend Sophia Electric 6SN7's for the tube output stage, and Mullard 5AR4 as the recitifier tube. This the tube combo I've liked the best. As a bonus, Dan is one of best people to work with/talk to in the audio industry. :righton:

BIG ED likes this.
  15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

No higher praise!

===========

Thanks too the OP for starting this thread (and our host hosting) cause I've never heard a "Oppo 95"; I've only heard my 'MW 95' (which I nicknamED "NutBuster ShowStopper").

Thanks all for sharing!!

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I had (well, still have/looking at it right now in the desk system) an Oppo 980H.
    http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/
    I compared the two when the modED 95 1st showed up. The 980 had been tweakED; by: Vans Evers custom one-off A/V power cord, isolation platform, & HDMI out too the respected Onkyo 886*(w/six 32-bit/192 Khz Burr-Brown PCM-1795 Stereo DAC's in Pure Audio mode), & fully broken in (of coarse). The MW 95 was a little less dark, however the 980 showed well.
    I chalked it up too the 95 does Blu, 3D, & kept HDCD.
    And the MW addED "TUBES"!!!
    (silly, I know, just could live w/o 'em, ha, ha!!)

Of coarse now the MW is on two separate iso platforms w/a Cullen Cable 'Cali' Gold PC (rich detailed) & Shunyata DiamondBack PC (clean natural), and has been tube rollED.

ChangED way too many things too truly compare the MW 95 too the tweakED 980: amps, other power cords (2 Nordost Shiva), & now XLR cables (Avanti Audio & Ultimate Cables Silver Series-C4).

Please overall; GREAT recordings sound GREAT & less than stellar sound a little sweeter. Bout a good as "I" could ask 4 (my room, my budget, & my movie/musical preferences).

*http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=PR-SC886P&class=Preamplifier&p=i

17. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I'll just add the MW tube mod all so affects the balanced outputs as well.
    You can go two channel balanced out & still use the multi-outs for the other channels.
    Oppo has a fantastic featured unit.

A while back I figurED out six ways too output "stereo":
    balanced (analog)
    RCA (analog)
    FL & FR on multichannel outs (analog)
    HDMI (digital)
    coaxial (digital)
    optical [S/PDIF] (digital)

It's quite the well thought out box!

18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Another complement too Dan. ^^^

Just too be clear:
    The MW Mod does not affect the 95's DAC('s).
    The ES9018 SABRE 32-bit Reference DAC's that Oppo used are maintained.

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Valves Make The Heart Beat Faster

rollED into paradise tonight:

'Everyone' always said "Chrome Tops"; butt it took over a yr too roll into 'em.
    Sylvania's really do have a more balanced sound with extended highs & weighty bass.
    Just got a pr last month cheap, the real kicker was tonight taking out a slightly humming GZ34 (5AR4) for another Holland GZ.
    WoW
    Rich tube mid magic w/top & bottom end extension and detail.

I likED the ModWright 95 [never heard a Oppo Only 95]. It certainly bestED the Old Oppo 980H.
    Old Stock's made a diff were New Stock sounded 'sterile' & solid statey.
    It was "smooth", butt in the wine industry "smooth" is badd/boring, as in the the 'life' of the wine is gone.

I was listening too tubes, so I was happier than if I wasn't listen too tubes.
    Now it sounds exciting!!

Blacker backrounds, more soundstage depth, wide instrument placement , w/full musical immersion.
    I just want too play "everything" again!
    And isn't that the point.

Prob:
    Of coarse I just sent $$$ this afternoon for a new MWI PS.
    All so w/a 5AR4 (or subs) & a pr of 13EM7 [???] (or subs).
    What was I thinking?!?!
    Oh yeah... I'm an full-on audiogeek.

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Well, after over two yrs of being a "Blk-BasED Chrome ToppED" & being pleasED; it's time too 'roll' again!

i am turning the '11 uni-star in too something as old as me & that's good [as apposED too me being old/which is badd]!
    i've had a '56 NOS metal-base Holland Phillips GZ34 for yrs & now i'm getting matching pair of "SYLVANIA JAN CHS 6SN7 WGT 1956 Brown Base" tubes as well.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251838743893?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    So the valves are as old as me in this 21st century + 11 yrs two box unit; EDweird i know, butt that's cool too me.

Also got a matchED pr 6SN7GTB Sylvania 'NOS' [?] from the 60's:
    http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-6sn7gtb-sylvania-nos-1960s-p1

i'll hopefully be back B4 i diED too do a "Sylvania Sound-off" post.

Any one else still rolling w/the 95?!?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.