Mofi Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD - July 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed Thread Starter

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. I hope it is better than the previous SACD which had a load of digital limiting. Same thing with the XRCD. The original CD sounds great so the SACD had better be something special!

3. eelkiller

I am wondering if this is why the Japan SHM SACD was shelved?

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

As this was recorded at 16 bit 44.1K, whats the point in releasing in 24 bit DSD?
    Its like putting a giant magnifying glass in front of your portable tv to get a larger tv.
    Pointless SACD.

Rockos, rjstauber, muckrocker and 3 others like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This

6. eelkiller

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The other.

8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

SACD actually features 1-bit delta-sigma audio (DSD64)... But I would agree that releasing original stereo mix of BIA (produced in low-rez LPCM) in DSD64 makes not a lot of sense.

9. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Nice, I'm definitely interested in hearing what MFSL does with this.

crossroads69 likes this.
  10. chaz

chaz Senior Member

If it sounds "better" it'll be because of eq manoeuvres.

11. Thing.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is the most excited I've been about any SACD in a long time. The original SACD/DVD-A is the absolute worst example of stereo mastering compression that I could ever imagine. A beautiful, dynamic recording, smashed all to hell. I am trusting Mofi to make this one of the best crap-to-diamonds examples in the history of modern remastering :)

Metralla and vonwegen like this.
  13. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Also
    Opens the door for other straits albums???

14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Love Over Gold :drool:

impalaboy likes this.
  15. It should be quite easy to surpass the wretched mastering found on the original SACD.

vonwegen likes this.
  16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Agreed. Still, can the MFSL SACD beat the original CDs? I can't wait to find out.

Seeing as this SACD was just announced, I'll be shocked if it's out in two months. It often takes over a year for MFSL to release an SACD.

17. DSD isn't comprised of 24-bit word lengths, it's a 1-bit data stream.

DSD decoding, even upsampled from 16/44.1, potentially could sound better than the original PCM due to much gentler digital filtering that DSD requires.

The SACD could also contain a multichannel mix.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. Agreed and I sincerely hope so!

19. eelkiller

The ones that take eons and cause outrage here always say "TBD", this one already has July listed on the site so I am betting it comes out in less time than most here would think. It is scheduled the same time as the Patricia Barber SACD.

20. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I will probably buy this, although I just bought all the Dire Straits LP's that were just re-issued. Missed them the first time around.

Pat

21. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

And seemingly not a word about the digital origins of this recording on the musicdirect website.

HDTRACKS gets a lot of flack about lack of provenance, but I am not sure audiophile labels and retailers are always better.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I hope so as well :). I have the Love Over Gold SHM-SACD. But if MOFI releases one I'll be all over it!

It would be great if there was a multichannel mix. But are there any recent MOFI SACDs that are multichannel?

Bill

ponkine likes this.
  23. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

The original was 16/44. Unless you want a bit for bit copy of the master, then some mastering is going to be involved. Since MoFi doesn't limit the dynamics (I hope), it's going to involve judicious EQ and maybe some level changes from track to track. How best to preserve the final result? High resolution digital, of course.

I would think about it this way: If a movie was filmed in 16mm, would you rather have a copy of that film in 16mm or 35mm? Which would capture more of the original? You could say that 35mm is a waste, but it will lose less in translation, though at a cost. I don't even have SACD capability, but I can see the advantage in it, no matter the original resolution of the master tape or master digital file.

I don't know if I will buy this. The original CD is, as many have said, very nice. I suppose I will wait for the reviews here.

jsnruf, pantofis, dartira and 2 others like this.
  24. eelkiller

No, the last ones would have been the Classical discs and Cowboy Junkies IIRC. Any others?

25. captone

captone Forum Resident

Although Brothers In Arms was recorded digitally, the varispeed was accidentally set to maximum, which effectively meant it was sampling at closer to 50kHz than 44.1. Not sure what Mofi will use as their mastering chain, but generally hi end mastering will involve the source being played back in the analog domain through hi end outboard EQ &/or dynamics processing, then captured using hi end A-D converters (as opposed to keeping the file in the digital domain and using digital processing). I have heard far less than stellar digital recordings dramatically improved by going through a nice valve EQ for example.

I have faith that Mofi will do a good job with this title, since everything I've heard from them over the past few years has been great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.