Mofi Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD - July 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I e-mailed MoFi to see if they are planning any further Dire Straits SACD's - sadly they said:

"Unfortunately we do not plan to release any other Dire Straits titles at this time however I am happy to forward you suggestion along. "

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ha, asked the same thing to Mofi two months ago; probably Universal is planning more SHM "flat transfer HR Cutting" Dire Straits titles and Mofi may not be interested to compete...

3. How do these flat transfers sound?

4. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

These are not available in SHM-SACD form, only as Platinum SHM-CD & standard SHM-CD. 2 albums featuring flat DSD transfers from UK analogue masters were released in late 2013: Dire Starits & Love Over Gold. You may need to check the Platinum SHM-CD threads for comments/reviews:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched.323981/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-pt2.335709/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-disc-3.342656/

Pt SHM-CD of DS (eponymous album) is widely regarded as the best digital version available, while LOG Pt SHM-CD is pretty much on par with 2011 LOG SHM-SACD (methinks some of the session recordings for LOG were done in digital, so not much spectral content above 22 kHz on SHM-SACD, which was transferred from Japan analogue master, IIRC). Brothers In Arms Pt SHM-CD (album was recorded in and mixed to digital) is yet to be released on Apr 23, 2014...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    BIG ED, Mohojo and PH416156 like this.
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The SHM "flat transfer HR Cutting" "Brothers in arms" SACD will be released within some weeks

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9547

...the MoFi SACD is excellent so I won't buy another version. BTW, we have several threads about the Universal SHM titles and reviews are very positive

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-shm-sacds-last-word-on-packaging-sonics.335763/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ime-otc-styx-moody-blues-dire-straits.340110/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/platinum-shm-cds-launched-disc-3.342656/

edit: didn't see testikoff's comment

Mohojo likes this.
  6. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident

This is my first post on this site, though I've been a long time lurker. I just wanted to say thank you for providing this information. I'm an objectivist at heart and I rarely pay attention to subjective thoughts; especially those without some sort of evidence to back it. With your data, which lines up with most of the subjective talk here, I decided to order this CD as well.

I'd be interested in learning how you did this so I could compare some of my own music. The DRDB is great, but it doesn't really paint the whole picture.

Thanks,
    Erin
    www.medleysmusings.com

7. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

Anyone compared the recent 2014 Universal SHM-CD to other good sounding CDs of this album? I'm wondering what the best sounding couple of CDs are: perhaps the 2014 Universal SHM-CD and the MFSL, or maybe those two and the original CD?

8. captone

captone Forum Resident

I recently bought Mofi's Brothers In Arms SACD/CD and it is by far the best sounding I have heard it. I have had several versions on various formats over the years (original vinyl, cassette, original CD, 2005 SACD). I have no need to try and find anything better and am done buying this album! Note: redbook CD layer sounds excellent

DPM and Carlox like this.
  9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I'm listenning to the MoFi SACD as I'm witting this, and I don't really quite like what I'm hearing. To begin with, I've never been a fan of this album or Dire Straits, but I was curious enough to buy it on SACD for the first time. Nothing special, as with all the versions of this album I've listened to, it sounds soul-less, lifeless (and don't know how many "less" I could imagine), unspecial and thin. That's why I don't like digital recordings of the 80's and early and mid 90's, they sound, umm, lacking of a better world, digital.

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Check out waveforms & spectra comparisons for a couple of tracks taken from original 1985 WB CD & 2014 SHM-CD of Brothers In Arms. Spectral comparisons for DS-BIA MFSL SACD vs WB CD were posted earlier in this very thread.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  11. It is what it is. And the MFSL is best version of what it is. :)

12. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

An interesting analogy - films are often 'blown up' to higher spec to give the right look/tone, etc. Audio equivalent would be 1/2" or even 1" analogue 2-track. This album would be a great candidate for mixdown to 1/2" 15ips Dolby SR, IMO.

13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I've posted this before but I agree...there is something missing from the MoFi SACD BUT as it has the full versions of songs (vs the LP I own) it is still my go to version. I don't see the need to buy this again but I agree with you on this.

14. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

This beats the standard WG disc I have.

15. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

There's no magic formula to turn hey into gold, and I think this album on its different incarnations proves this.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Any new input as too what is or isn't the best SA-CD release of "BiA"?
    [2005, 20-13, or 20-14]
    BIG thanks.

17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

My favorite is the MoFi SACD because they managed to make it sound a bit less "digital" than the original WB CD. I have also heard the SHM-SACD.

BIG ED likes this.
  18. nesyarug

nesyarug Forum Resident

The MoFi is very good. You would not believe this was a digital recording at 16-bit 44.1 kHz.

gabbleratchet7 and BIG ED like this.
  19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

JJ
    &
    Yeah, making "Digital" sound less "Digital" is quite a feat! :p

20. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Based on a lot of positive reports hear I bought this and it arrived today and ...... WOW. I only had the Bob Ludwig remaster so far and this SACD blows it straight out of the water. Heck, it made even listening to Walk Of Life (a song that I almost hate with a passion) enjoyable.

Now it is time to comb through this forum to check which is a good edition of Love Over Gold.

Joey_Corleone, Carlox and Galley like this.
  21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

best Love Over Gold? probably the upcoming soon to be announced MFSL version.

(dreaming)

ChrisEfterklang likes this.
  22. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

For a split second I was 'jumping for joy' :sigh: :shake::doh:

23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Regarding love over gold, if you do vinyl, I think the WB reissue is very very good. I also have an original WB pressing, and it was just a really nice sounding record originally.

If you want a great sounding new clean copy you can not go wrong with the WB reissue

24. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Is this OOP? I ordered from Amazon a few weeks ago, and it's still listed as

Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed Thread Starter

Check the Mofi or Music Direct site to see if it is listed, that is the only way to know if something of theirs is in fact OOP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.