Mofi Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD - July 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Why do they go through the trouble of making these then discontinue them so fast?

Glad I got one on release day

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. My BIA MoFi SACD from Acoustic Sounds arrived last week with some other titles I had ordered. In stock, and I don't ever recall seeing it being on back order.

4. After listing to this for the first time tonight, I believe that the Mo-Fi SACD is the definitive version. Is sounds better overall then the SHM-SACD, which I like too. What a tremendous improvement from the 2005 anniversary SACD. Thank you MoFi, thank you!

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  5. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I bought the MoFi SACD for the redbook layer (to rip to my library as I don't use my Oppo any more), it is the same mastering as the DSD layer. It sounds fantastic and gets better as you turn it up.

In contrast, the DSD and redbook layers on the 30th Anniversary SACD are different masters, the redbook layer is compressed garbage in comparison.

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Are you sure about that? I know for a fact the DSD layer is also compressed on the 30th edition. I can't believe that disc got such rave reviews at the time.

7. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

Good catch, it was a typo. I meant to type 20th not 30th - I am referring to the 2005 release. Whilst I am not entirely sure they are different masters, they sure sound like it. Here is the redbook from the 2005 20th Anniversary release:

[​IMG]

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The DSD stereo layer has a DR value of 9, so it's not much of an improvement.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. Alvaro Oliver

Alvaro Oliver Member

According to Wikipedia:

"Brothers in Arms was one of the first albums to be directed at the CD market, and was a full digital recording (DDD) at a time when most popular music was recorded on analog equipment. It was also released on vinyl (abridged to fit on one LP) and cassette. However, while it was listed as "DDD", producer Neil Dorfsman says the digital multitrack was mixed on an analog board with the resulting two track mix re-digitized via a Prism A/D converter and recorded on a DAT machine, so really the recording was DAD."

From this, I can conclude that there is actually an analogue mix tape. Is it possible that MOFI has worked with these tapes to create the master for this SACD?

10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Even if that analogue tape was available, it would have had to be mixed again. And a remix was not what was used at MOFI.

11. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

When you say the original CD, are you referring to the WB or Vertigo CD. Perhaps they are the same mastering, I don't know.

12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Huh? Why would an analog two-track master need to be mixed again?

14. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

waiting for my copy to arrive..once i listen to it i will post a update later...looking forward to it!

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I never understood the audiophile love for this album - the drums sound completely wrong - dead and popping up out of nowhere, like the 9 foot tall fella out of Live And Let Die. I do have the MoFi, but the original Warners CD was excellent also. Massive dynamics. Was this recorded on the old 3M digital system, ala Ry Cooder's Bop 'Til You Drop?
    I don't like the sound of another audiophile legend much either - Dark Side Of The Moon, so you may not want to listen my opinions, LOL.
    Dire Straits previous album (Love Over Gold) sounded far better to me.

George P, SKean and dartira like this.
  16. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

I agree with you on the Dire Straits. Disagree on the Floyd though. :wave:

17. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Sony DASH 24track
    Mix to DAT

18. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

not all of it was digital..i know they were using a neve 8078 console that was purely analog.

19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yes, digital consoles didn't exist at the time i think?

Would probably look something like this:

Mic-> analog console -> digital tape -> analog mixing -> dat -> analog mastering -> cd

Yikes, a lot of conversions.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Audjack likes this.
  20. It's about time for a high resolution version of this album. :uhhuh:

21. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

to my ears its the best sounding digital version and all the instruments are separated and dynamic..also extremely crankable..MOFI FTW

22. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

MoFi did a fine job. The album itself has always sounded a bit sterile to me.

Robert Haagsma likes this.
  23. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

A bit sterile, that has to be the understatement of the year! :rolleyes: Those old Sony DASH digital recorders used a sampling rate of either 44.1 KS/s or 48KS/s. Have you ever looked at what those low sampling rates do to the leading edge of impulse signal (e.g. a drum strike) or the pre-ring they cause. Sure the output was ideal for going to Red Book CD's and many early CD's were made from that type of recorder which in combination with early CD players gave most people digital fatigue after about half an hour of listening.

24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'm sure it was technically impressive at the time, but the production style hasn't aged as well as their previous albums, IMHO.

Robert Haagsma likes this.
  25. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I still prefer the original vertigo, sounds better than the mofi sacd or lp, particularly the dynamic range and realism of the instruments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.