Mofi Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD - July 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I can't imagine it would better the SHM-SACD.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I already have! :D

3. KeithH

That's never stopped an audiophile label before. ;)

ponkine and Bill Mac like this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Geoff,

That could be true. But I'm not in awe of the SHM-SACD. So I'll hold out hope that there will be a MOFI Love Over Gold SACD and that the SQ is better that the SHM-SACD :).

Bill

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I don't know if this has been done before, but I've found differences between non-remastered Vertigo and Warner Dire Straits CDs

I prefer Warner :wave:

rjstauber likes this.
  6. KeithH

This has come up before. There are several different masters among the early Japanese and West German pressings. I have a spreadsheet on another computer that lists at least some of the different versions, but I can't access it right now unfortunately. Here is how I have my West German pressings listed on my web site:

So I have three different masters among West German pressings.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Cool! thanks

I don't remember exactly which Warner Bros and which Vertigo listened, but I prefered Warner :wave:

rjstauber likes this.
  8. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I hopelessly hope for the vinyl mix.

They did so with Chicago 17, can't they do it again and give me my favorite version of this album?

9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

An interesting one. Especially when the SHM-SACD was cancelled.

If MoFi make use of a source closer to the 16/44.1 original digital, then we can get a little bit better resolution when transfering to DSD. I've several times heard that 16/44 transfered to DSD simply sounds better. The dynamics flows a little bit better, and sounds a bit more open and analogue on top.

If MoFi also add a bit more bass to the bottom and slightly add more "power" to the sound, without adding compression to get a bit more juicy and up-front soundpicture, then you have the perfect Brothers in Arm digital, Imo.

As said in this thread; the original CD is a bit thin and "laid-back" in sound.
    The 2005 SACD is compressed, but has a more juicy and bassy sound. If MoFi could produce a sound in the middle of these two, then it would be fine, I think.

Mohojo likes this.
  10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

For the most part in the last couple of years the Mofi boys have hit homeruns on their SACDs so I see no reason to think this will be any different.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. The Nighftly was recorded at 16/50 on one of the first generation 3M recorders. Those machines have produced a lot of good sounding albums. So have the even earlier Soundstream 16/50 recorders.

13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

...and early Mitsubishi AX-80 50,4 Khz.

15. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I was merely trying to find out which mix Mo-Fi was using for the sacd. The quiex has a completly different mix than the old sacd.
    As for the other 2 records they are Fleetwood Mac: Mirage and Donald Fagen: The Nightfly.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

agreed.

17. mark7

mark7 Guest

I don't think this album can be improved upon over the original Vertigo UK CD.

maxheadroom likes this.
  18. triple

triple Senior Member

To be honest, I do not understand everyone's obsession with this album.

If MFSL did any of the first 3 albums, I would be in, yes.

Cousin It likes this.
  19. For a short time in 1985 it shone like a bright star. And when I heard the "DDD" on my first CD player, I was blown away!

But it hasn't aged well and it is certainly not their best album.

20. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I feel the same way. Would rather see Mofi release some different Dire Straits albums other than Brothers In Arms.

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Has there been a precedent for an album recorded in redbook PCM to sound significantly (or at all) different as a two-channel SACD? As I understand the earlier posts, what's really hoped for here is manipulating EQ in the PCM domain, and that's it by way of remastering. Can't this be done as effectively in RBCD?

And the vinyl will presumably be a digitally-sourced version of the newly EQ'd album, right?

If the answers to the above are yes, then I'm not sure why anyone would part with thirty bucks for this.

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Let's wait and see what MoFi bring to the door.

I can almost guarantee you that it will neither sound like the first CD edition or the Ludwig SACD. And slightly differences in mastering/sound are why we have 5 different digital versions of Dark Side and Sticky Fingers in our collection, isn't it? :)

PH416156 likes this.
  23. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I guess it depends on one's expectations. As the redundant reissues of titles like this pile up, we may not end up with better. But we'll get different.

Mike McMann likes this.
  24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

That may be true.

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I get completism-- the approach of obtaining every issue of a title. But if the appeal of a given reissue is largely to that constituency, it can't be good for the business model in the long run. The audiophile niche is small enough as it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.