Mofi Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD - July 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Now that we've determined (no thanks to MoFi) that there's no analog source to be had for this album-- what to do?

I say, ignore what the band may have wanted and produce something aging white men- friendly. Gimme some tubbier, fatter bass, roll off the top end, and add generous dollops of compression. (Too bad there's no 45 rpm vinyl planned for this one-- with my prostate I have to pee a lot, and I love the frequent side breaks.)

I have no interest in an SACD that sounds, you know, like... the album.

2. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Somehow I doubt that MOFI would risk their reputation with the mastering of this landmark disc. Here's hoping that they keep the CD running order/times and have the best tape sources with little futzing.

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Repeat after me:

No tape sourcing.
    No tape sourcing.
    No tape...

4. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Hey, you're in Boston-- I can take the Green Line into town and we can go over this together.

5. PROG U.K.

I stand corrected, so what could the source be?

6. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

A redbook digital file. It's an early PCM digital recording.

7. PROG U.K.

Noted, this should be interesting. A Boston listening session is in order.

8. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Feel free to drop me a line! I'm out by BC/Cleveland Circle.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K. Steve asked the question, but I wasn't sure if it was a hypothetical or if he knew that one existed. Thanks.

10. KeithH

Agreed, but MFSL is hardly alone, of course. Steve has helped with Audio Fidelity releases lately, but some are still a "black box".

11. KeithH

Interesting. Well, not the peeing. ;) Most people want as little futzing as possible -- just enough EQ where a flat transfer is not optimal. You seem to want some drastic changes. I'm not sure that would be a good thing.

12. Conject
    Conjecture or real info? I find it hard to believe that MoFi at the very least wouldn't go back to the DAT which would have been at 16/48 resolution.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The SHM-SACD is very good.

Metralla likes this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The "Masterdisk BK" LP remains the best I have heard Love Over Gold.

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

SHM-SACD of LOG does sound pretty good indeed, however, its audio shows abrupt frequency response cut-off above 21kHz (as mentioned in the thread about Alchemy SHM-SACD) ;)...

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

So don't buy this for your dog!

17. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

I keep telling you guys, unless the original master file is totally different from what was released on CD, you're not going to get a huge amount of difference.

18. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Don't have one (I meant Fido)... ;)

19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I don't want to believe it. Therefore I won't.

billnunan likes this.
  20. TStewart422

I'm gonna have to EQ a sample and upload it, aren't I? :p

21. KeithH

I don't know what was used for the original SACD years ago, but it is very different than the original CDs, though not in a good way. That is due to poor mastering choices. Is it possible to make good mastering choices to noticeably improve upon the original CDs? To my ears, the DVD-Audio disc of The Nightfly is better than anything I've heard on CD (though some CDs sound good on their own). Is the improvement due to the high resolution or the mastering or both?

22. Probably a little of both. The source for the DVD-A could be different than the CD, too, because it contains an extended intro for Green Flower Street.

23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Why can't we wait until it is released to conjecture about how it will sound. As a collector of Mofi, I will buy it, but I never try to make guesses about how anything will sound until it is actually released. I guess we can surmise that since it is Mofi releasing the title, it will probably sound as good (maybe better) than any other release before it.

What I don't understand is how so many here get so emotional about the sound of a release months before anyone even knows what it will sound like!! (I know it is a digital mix, and will be mastered from digital... but still that doesn't fully indicated exactly how it will sound once released.)

oopap, Riccardo2 and PROG U.K. like this.
  24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'd rather not surmise that. They have a good record, but not a perfect one.

coffeecupman likes this.
  25. TStewart422

OK, just sat down and had a little mastering session at home. My gear's all in my profile and I'll explain my mastering moves after the sample. I ask that you guys listen before reading about what I did. Also, keep in mind, I'm an amateur. I've had zero training outside of practicing at home on Adobe Audition with headphones.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88544461/03 Walk of Life.wav

I'll leave a paragraph here to avoid spoilers...

OK, first off, this album needs warmth more than anything. Subtracting harshness can only do so much in this case, so I added a little low-end. It didn't sound like too much through my HD650s, so I doubt they'll be too much for most of you. Of course, I used Steve's tutorial (and Kevin's pressure points) to guide me along. I may use a little too much EQ for either of their tastes, but this is just what I would like it to sound like (except from a professional console/better source). Anyway, here were my moves:

All of these were done with a .7 Q, btw.

Shelf: 32Hz - 1db

1: 80 Hz - 2dB

2: 150 Hz - 1dB

3: 250 Hz - 2dB (the much needed warmth, for the most part, occurs here)

4: 1000 Hz - -2dB

5: 3400 Hz - -2dB

Shelf: 10,000 Hz - -1dB (the high-end is unbearable, but it's possible the 650s are filtering out the worse. This may need to be more)

So, there you go, fulfilling my promise. It sounds OK now through my headphones, but there's no way this'll ever be as warm as I'd prefer without using a lot of EQ. I appreciate the listen and read. Hopefully, this won't kill the thread. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.