MoFI Rolling Stones box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimB, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me! Thread Starter

Any one else have the Rolling Stones MoFi box set besides me? The sound quality seems really good from these. I compared them to some of the new SACD reissues, and they seem to compete well.

2. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I had one for a while, and am pleased with it. I am not a die-hard Stones fan, and am not willing to go the hard road of getting all of the proper pressings, so the box is good for me.

3. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

While I like the few SACD's of the Stones I've picked up, I don't think I'll ever part with the MoFi box set.

While "Beggars," "Bleed," "12x5," and (maybe) "Ya Ya's" are better on SACD, the MoFi box will always remain with me, if for no other reason that the "Aftermath" LP which, IMO, is still marginally better than the London CD.

4. John

John Senior Member

My sentiments exactly!! I am very happy with mine. Good sound and silent surfaces, something about that JVC vinyl...

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

IMHO, the UK DECCAs are better sound-wise, but like everyone else, I won't part with my box any time soon. You can say "silent surfaces" again. It's a bit like the Beatles. UK Parlophones are better, but I won't part with my Beatles MFSL box. The same can be said about the Sinatra box. The original Capitol monos are better, but I won't part with my MFSL box.

BC

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I'm very happy with my MFSL box. I keep wanting to transfer them over to cd-r's, but I never seem to get around to it. Oh well. Some forum members (IIRC) didn't like the EQing or something like that, but they play and sound fine to me. My favorites are "Out of Are Heads", "Aftermath" & "Hot Rocks". Still the only place you can get the true stereo version of "Get Off My Cloud" on vinyl. I'll never part with it.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That actually has GOOMC in stereo? I thought just the London CD had that. How about Satisfaction and Play With Fire?

8. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

Anybody notice the missing triangle on Lady Jane on the More Hot Rocks SACD? What about the bass on Out of Time as well?

I forget which album they are on in the MFSL set, but both are much better than the SACD.

9. Joe Koz

Unfortunately "Play with Fire" & "Satisfaction" are mono on the Mofi vinyl. You know Luke, I had to return several lp's because of defects when I called MFSL about the defects I got talking with some one on the phone about the stereo "GOOMC" and how surprised I was. He told me about the stereo mix of "Satisfaction" and how Abkco wouldn't let them use the the stereo mix of "Satisfaction" on the box set. He then told me to look for it on the new CD's that were coming out. He did not say anything about "Play with Fire". So they (London, Abkco) knew what they were doing and what mixes they were going to use.

Joe

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Interesting...any other details that might be worth sharing?

BTW, could you post the relevant info for that LP of Hot Rocks? I'd like to add it to my stereo Stones site.

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember reading in "The Tracking Angle" that MoFi's "Hot Rocks" was a resplice job, instead of using the compilation master.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, it would have had to if it had Cloud in stereo.

I remember playing my London (ABKCO) LP one day and realizing "wait, none of side one is in stereo, my pressing must be a mistake." If it were only that simple!

13. Joe Koz

Luke, Here is the stereo, mono content of the MFSL "Hot Rocks".

Time is on My Side - (Version 2) stereo
    Heart of Stone - stereo
    Play with Fire - mono
    Satisfaction - mono
    As Tears Go By - mono
    Get Off My Cloud - stereo
    Mother's Little Helper - stereo
    19th. Nervous Breakdown - mono
    Paint it Black - stereo
    Under My Thumb - stereo
    Ruby Tuesday - stereo
    Let's Spend the Night Together - stereo

Hope this helps Luke, oh, record two of "Hot Rocks" is the same old, same old.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Joe, what's the catalog number on that one?

15. Joe Koz

Luke,

Record one is MFSL 2-170 A/B
    Record two is MFSL 2-170 C/D

If you would like more information, feel free to pm me.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.