MoFi / The Band Rock of Ages (vinyl)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FashionBoy, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wondering if anyone has this 2LP set — how does it sound & is it worth the cash? Appreciate your thoughts.

Tommyboy, Joti Cover and polchik like this.
  2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

bump

i just REALIZED i DON'T have THIS on vinyl lol …… and the mofi is still available …. any comments would be much appreciated !

3. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i just found this from the elusive discs page

The Band Rock Of Ages Numbered Limited Edition 180g 2LP-Elusive Disc

"Live albums tend to gloss over the depth, mystery and emotional intensity found on studio versions of the same songs, particularly when the group speeds things up to cover its inability to produce the desired results live. Here, The Band slows everything down, producing even more intense, deliberate and emotionally satisfying versions of familiar songs. Each play reveals more gems hidden within the musical folds. Be sure to crank it up! " - Michael Fremer, www.analogplanet.com, Music 10/10, Sound 8/10!

"Allen Toussaint's sympathetic horn arrangements, performed by top jazz musicians, propel this 'greatest hits live' recital taken at breathtakingly deliberate tempos before an adoring, raucous crowd at the Academy of Music in New York City, on New Year's Eve 1971... some of the best vocalizing this or any rock group has ever achieved on stage. MoFi's mastering beats Bob Ludwig's original, and that's saying a lot; plus, the vinyl is dead quiet." - Michael Fremer, Stereophile Magazine, February 2013, p. 66

and this ….

"Rock Of Ages" Even Better in Retrospect

and now i am going to find my credit card. ugh. LOL

Phil12, kronning and Joti Cover like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i JUST ordered it LOL …

but not from elusive ….. from amazon.ca w free shipping (it was actually cheaper $46.17 CAD + tax)…. i could've gotten it a bit cheaper thru marketplace importcds, but it would've been a 2 week wait, and their return policy is annoying and they only offer refunds ….. and amazon.ca just did me a solid giving a total refund for an over $80 LP that had no issue except for the fact that i did not like the way it sounded … so …. there ya go !

thanks tho ! appreciate it !

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Well, I'm glad it worked out. I usually check Music Direct for MoFi. I would have just added another record to bump up the cart over the $49 free shipping threshold.

polchik likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a minty original (RL cut). Sounds incredible.

hiterss, Chemguy, Terry and 6 others like this.
  8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Seconded :agree: If any of our esteemed membership has compared the original RL cut to the Mofi, I don’t recall seeing it. Anyone?

hi_watt likes this.
  9. Chris Schoen

If you have an RL original (in good condition), I would not spend the money on a Mofi.

10. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

yes i read about the original RL cut in the fremer article. it sounds like the mofi is a worthy slab as well … i took the easy route LOL.

fremer on the mofi

"I've often said to not bet against any Bob Ludwig original because in most cases Bob's masterings can't be beat. The comparison between the original red label Capitol mastered by Ludwig at Sterling and this reissue mastered by Krieg Wunderlich produced interesting results. The bass was deeper and punchier on the original pressing but the reissue's was more nuanced texturally and tonally.

But beyond that, I thought the Mo-Fi reissue won in every other way, particularly in the way it brought forth the vocals and the "meat" of the horns without at all hampering the top end extension and of course in the blackness of the backgrounds. 1972 wasn't a great time for vinyl pressing because of the oil shortage.

The cymbals may be slightly more present and extended on the original, but that's what happens to tape after forty plus years. Overall though, the tape sounds to be in remarkable shape, in part probably because this album has long been under-appreciated.

Mobile Fidelity's triple gatefold packaging carefully duplicates the original. This is a deluxe, worthwhile reissue. If you have a clean original don't expect a revelatory experience, but if you don't have this album be prepared for one."

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Me too.

Joti Cover and Chris Schoen like this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Cool. Thanks for the review. Does this have the textured embossed jacket, like the original?

13. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I'e had the Mofi for quite some time. I think it sounds fantastic.

Johnny Vinyl, polchik and Joti Cover like this.
  14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i don't know, i ordered it yesterday so it won't be here for a few days. i'm gonna guess no though lol.

15. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

It's certainly one of the very greatest live albums ever made....I can only think of a couple others in the same league and one of those is Waiting For Columbus (Little Feat 1977 @ Lisner in D.C.). Tbe Band truly ruled the US. for a couple of years there, however, I suspect its a small and ever-shrinking club that know or remember that.
    Yes, buy by all means!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Pulled out my red label Capitol with Sterling RL on all four sides...........good gracious all mighty, I haven't played this pressing in quite some time, and I guess I've forgotten how fantastic it sounds. Vinyl lovers, if you happen to come across a clean one of these, do yourself a favor and snag it.

hiterss likes this.
  17. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Poor sound quality keeps me from putting RoA in the cd player more frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.