MoFi UltraDeck/UltraTracker early review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrei L., Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm digging the Ultratracker, for sure. To your description I'd add detailed, but not analytical.

displayname and Slippers-on like this.
  2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Yes sir! Don't know if you saw my initial review of this cart , but I wrote a few weeks ago the Studio Tracker was a romantic cart meaning its not a cold performance at all....helps to keep you into the total performance.

I know there are similar designs with the MoFi Carts and AT....but that's with most products on the market......I wont say its AT made or not. I just don't know and really, its makes no difference in my book...both are excellent carts.

3. Slippers-on

HiFi guy....I see you use Analysis Plus cables. I have a set of Analysis Plus Solo Crystal cables connecting my DAC to the preamp and the preamp to the amp. At one point I had a pair of Analysis Plus phono cables...they are excellent! At you using their phono cable?

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

There is nothing wrong with AT cartridges, quite the opposite, they are very good IME.

5. Slippers-on

Don't think you read my post....I've never ever said a bad thing about AT carts. IF you don't care to answer, that's perfectly fine as well.

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

No, I'm actually using a Blue Jeans LC-1. I really like them for the $.

Merrick and displayname like this.
  7. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Here's my main question on the UltraTracker cart - how's it holding up compared to other options in it's price point? 2m Bronze (I already know you don't like that one), Blue Point #2, Hana EL/EH, Quintet Blue, Rega Exact, AT OC-9 II ML, any others that jump out at you for comparison?

And above all, are you sticking with it for a bit, or ready to see what something else sounds like on the UltraDeck?

8. Slippers-on

9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

You could add the AT33PTG/II to the MC list at around $450-$500, and on the MM side, you can still get a AT150MLX from some places for around $400, and its 150SA replacement for under $300. And the Shibata VM750SH is under $400 too. A lot of people love the Denon DL-301 MKII at around $320. I see the Nagaoka MP-200 at $365 right now. Just a ton of nice choices out there in the $400~$500 category now, both MM and MC.

bluemooze, displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm really torn. While there's no definitive proof who manufactures the MoFi cartridges, the Ultratracker does remind me of the A/T OC9II/ML. Not a bad thing at all in my book.

I've got a Nagaoka ML-150 on the way that I was going to put on the Rega. I'm not sure if I'll mount it or sell it sealed. The Ultratracker is that good.

What's been crossing my mind is kind of intense. This table may deserve a better cartridge than the Ultratracker- like maybe an A/T ART9. Or maybe just move up to the Nagaoka ML300 to start with- I could always get the ML500 stylus later. Right now, I love it as is.

Slippers-on and displayname like this.
  11. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I know you've been eyeing that ART9 for awhile. It might be time to take the dive on that bad boy. But if the UltraTracker is doing that well it might be worth trying the MasterTracker too. But I have to agree with @Davey - there are so many well reviewed options at that $400-500 price point right now.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Yeah, and I forgot to mention Soundsmith as well. But it's a gamble. I love the A/T OC9ML/II, but not the 33EV, although I like it far better than the 2m Bronze.

displayname likes this.
  13. Slippers-on

I really don't know who made the Studio Tracker either and at this point it doesn't really matter. I use it in a second system in the family room and it sounds really really great for a $199 cart! If I where you, I'd sell the other cart when it comes in and get a great pair of phono cables. What you are hearing will go up a few notches.

displayname likes this.
  14. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Yes, yes, cables are of paramount importance, for sure.

15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I may try some Analysis Plus cables I already have, but in a phono application, excellent shielding and low capacitance are top priorities. Blue Jeans LC-1 hit both of those marks easily.

I wouldn't say cables are paramount as far as performance. They are more like icing on a cake.

Merrick and displayname like this.
  16. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I think phono cables are of paramount importance because of the delicate signal.

17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Agreed, but if you have excellent shielding and low capacitance, that's perfect for phono applications.

18. Slippers-on

Which Analysis Plus cables are you using? The Oval ones are good but its entry level. They go up from there. I hope its the Low Mass Oval that you have. As an owner of Analysis Plus cables have you talked to Mark about his cables to get his expert opinion on his cables? You know you can call him up and ask him, the guy is a true professional engineer. He has a budget line of cables which are decent,and his Solo Crystal Cable is excellent... and his phono cables start at $446 a meter, and are excellent. They are on par with a set of Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 phono cables I had which where a little more expensive and not as warm as the Low Mass Oval, but both had a nice wide sound stage with a natural sound. I know lots of cats don't believe in good cables and think they are snake oil, And will not spend good money for them, even when they have amps and TT's that cost into the thousands. But when you get a electrical engineer who understands what it takes, you will hear a sonic difference in a great cable. Shielding and capacitance are not the entire story. They can be the difference in cymbal taps that sounding congested or sounding real...they can be the difference in hearing the bass, or hearing the fingers as they pluck the bass. cables help to get the refinement that other wise wont be heard with cheaper cables.

FashionBoy likes this.
  19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

LucasRios98, Tad, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  20. Uncle_Barley

Uncle_Barley New Member

Andrei: I read your review of the StudioDeck and I have to say I had a lot of the same reasons for buying a new turntable as you did. Most notably, I wanted to buy a good turntable and make it my last!

Anyway, I took the plunge on a StudioDeck last week (before I saw your review) and had a few hiccups as well during the setup. Granted a lot of the hiccups were due to my lack of knowledge in the realm of anti-skate, VTA, etc. My prior turntables only had counterweight/tracking force adjustment.....very basic.

The main issue I had was very similar to yours, but not to the extreme you described. It had to do with the amount of travel (or lack thereof) the tonearm was making towards the run out.

So, the main question I have for you (or anyone reading this) is in regards to the tonearm pivot "stop". As the tonearm travels inward towards the runout, the anti-skate rod (where the anti-skate counterweight o-ring is attached) eventually hits was I have to assume is an intentional pivot stop. The problem I have is that for records that have a shorter runout, the pivot stop prevents the stylus from traveling into the runout before meeting the resistance of the stop. Did you have any issues similar to this when you made the rotation adjustment? Is it "normal" for a tonearm pivot to have a stop like this? If so, wouldn't this be independently adjustable?

I contacted MoFi and got a quick response from them . Actually I'm still communicating with them. I was instructed to loosen the VTA screw as you did, so that the entire base could be rotated. Then I could ever so slightly rotate the base inward to increase the pivot travel before it hits the stop. I haven't had a chance to make the adjustment yet, but wanted to get some input on the issue.

Cheers!

21. Davey

Sounds right, that's the way many tonearms with adjustable VTA work. You rotate the movable part of the tonearm base to the orientation and height you want.

22. Uncle_Barley

Uncle_Barley New Member

Thanks for the reply. Pardon my ignorance, I'm learning as I go here....

So, is it also common to have a pivot stop on the tonearm swing? Is there a real need to limit the travel of the stylus into the run out?

23. Davey

I'm not really familiar with that Mofi arm, but usually there is no pivot stop except as imposed by the bearing housing, certainly not anything before crossing the spindle in the middle of record. Can you post a picture?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  24. Uncle_Barley

Uncle_Barley New Member

I can take a better picture when I get home, but this one is straight from the MoFi website and shows it pretty well:

[​IMG]

HiFi Guy and Davey like this.
  25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The arm has a pivot stop.

Davey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.