MoFi UltraDeck/UltraTracker early review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrei L., Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle_Barley

Uncle_Barley New Member

So, I just received another email from Jon over at MoFi, who has been extremely responsive to my emails. He was kind enough to send a video detailing how to best adjust the angle. He also explained how the pivot stop is to prevent the anti-skate weight from hitting the underside of the weight arm/support.......I get it now.

displayname and HiFi Guy like this.
  2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

For the Studiodeck owners here: how does the build quality, resonance damping, feel, and fit & finish of the table compare with other tables you've experienced, especially around the same price point? Is it 'plasticy'? Does it look and feel as good as the product photography makes it seem?

ls35a and RLust like this.
  3. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

I would love to hear answers to the above question too?

ls35a likes this.
  4. Andrei L.

Andrei L. New Member Thread Starter

The MoFi UltraDeck has just become a Stereophile recommended component. Congrats MoFi! I got a February issue in the mail today with Herbert Rechert’s review. He was using it with MasterTracker though.

5. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I would love to see some more user reviews and user experiences with the Mofi Ultradeck and Ultratracker cart.

H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

8 months later and I still love mine.

7. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

So I'd love to audition one of these along with/against a P6 but it turns out there are no dealers in New England. I got an email from them that they're still "actively growing" their dealer network. Meanwhile, I'd love to hear any more reports...

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I demoed the P6/Ania/Fono MC combo when auditioning tables. I wasn't able to demo the UltraDeck and the P6 side by side though. I did demo the UltraDeck/MasterTracker and 1200GR/Hana SL side by side using my phonostage.

Cliff notes: All three tables are highly impressive, and do sound different (I did test them each with dealer selected carts). The UltraDeck is the table that made it home, not necessarily because it was the best table conclusively, but because the sound fit my preferences the best. My system/room runs on the bright side, and the UD is a little smoother than the other two. If my system was already laid back, I think I might have gone back for a second demo with the P6 using my phonostage to see how it paired.

I do think if footfalls are not an issue, and you need to factor a phonostage into the purchase budget, the P6/Ania/Fono MC would be a very hard combo to beat dollar for dollar. But when it's just tables & carts on their own, it's a pretty fair fight and comes down to preferences.

Heckto35, Dan Steele, cut-out and 2 others like this.
  9. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Thank you @displayname. Footfalls—so the Mofi is more susceptible than the P6?

10. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Opposite. The P6 is more susceptible to footfalls than the UD. The light and ridged design of the P6 has it's benefits, but requires stronger isolation. The MoFi on the other hand is significantly more heavy, and comes standard with isolation suspension feet made by HRS.
    If you're going Rega, you'll want a solid floor and a solid rack, or a shelf. This was not really a factor in my decision (slab foundation) but it is something to consider if you're strongly considering it, especially if you have floors with a little bounce.

Heckto35, HiFi Guy and cut-out like this.
  11. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Buying from MusicDirect is basically an in home audition. Back in June the ran a promotion that gave you 60-days and free return shipping on MoFi Electronics. I'd call them and see if they would still offer you that promotion especially since there are no dealers here.

displayname and cut-out like this.
  12. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

good idea, thank you!

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  13. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

Has anyone compared the tone and quality of the studiodeck against the ultradeck all with stock carts and configuration using the mofi phonostage?

Heckto35 likes this.
  14. Ramiro Orta

Ramiro Orta Well-Known Member

I purchased the MoFi Ultradeck in December with no cartridge. I had purchased a Nagaoka MP-150 about a week before. I run the TT through a Schiit Mani Phono Amp. After putting together the Ultradeck and then installing & adjusting the cartridge, I plugged everything in and played a few records. The sound was amazing! The music was rich and full. The soundstage was enveloping and the turntable itself is very, very quiet. I also purchased the matching platter weight, which makes a significant difference in the quality of sound. The table is solid and the platter itself weighs about 6 pounds. It's been about 2 1/2 months now and I can say that the sound is even better than before with about 30 hours on it. I spent all of November researching the Ultradeck, the Clearaudio Concept, and the Rega Planar 6. It was a tough decision as I read only great things about all three. My final decision was based on my love of Nagaoka cartridges. Ever since I bout my first MP-110 about 5 years ago, I love the detailed sound of those Japanese phono cartridges. They also match brilliantly with the Schiit Mani phono amp. The only thing about the Ultradeck is that it will reveal bad pressings. I have certain records that I always thought were on the fence in terms of pressing quality, but now with the MoFi, it will bring out bad pressing so clearly! It will also play great pressings to their fullest abilities! I am not disappointment with this purchase and I'm truly happy with the MoFi Ultradeck/Nagaoka MP-150 combo!

15. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Is it easy to change the speed from 33 1/3 to 45 RPM. Do you use a speed control power source?

16. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Speed change is easy: just move the belt from one pulley to the other.

The only speed controller I’ve seen that would work is the VPI ADS. The motor needs 5 watts. The smaller controllers (Music Hall Cruise Control) only put out 3 watts.

displayname likes this.
  17. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

flick of a finger is all needed.

HiFi Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.