Mofi's Sonny Rollins on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I would like to know your comments about the sound... I've heard a negative comment. So what do you think?

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Steve advised against this one months ago when the release was announced. As much as I dig Sonny, I think I'll take a pass on it based on that warning.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, no. You misunderstood. It's wonderful music! Clifford Brown!

It's a typical Rudy Van Gelder 50's recording though; too harsh.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Wonderful music, too harsh. Sums it up, but then I know going in that "Quarter To Three" isn't going to sound like Enya, either. It is what it is, and I can easily live with that:thumbsup:

ED:cool:

5. Matt

Matt New Member

What about the tape? Did a better one turn up?

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And as such, no need to overpay on this one. Since it's also recently been reissued in the Fantasy K2 series - complete with cardboard sleeve - the standard CD will be showing up on ebay real cheap.

i.e. I didn't misunderstand.

7. Matt

Matt New Member

Don't forget, Steve mentioned that he was unable to find a good tape, only what Fantasy had been using for its own CD's. If MFSL found a better tape, it could make it totally worth it.

8. Steve Hoffman

There is only one master tape for this album; the original. I just didn't like the way it sounded when I was considering it for a DCC Gold CD. Too Van Gelder like. DCC already had a bunch of 'em. It's a nice album though.

9. Matt

Matt New Member

So no chance of anything different, eh? Just the same "single channel Van Gelder deal, complete with his standard little spring reverb box"?

Oh well...

10. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, exactly.

Great performances though.

11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The MoFi is not bad. I am sure it beats any K2 out there. Like Steve said..."Brownie". Nuff said.

12. Matt

Matt New Member

Very true. There isn't that much Brownie out there, and the recordings he made with the Rollins and Roach are the best. Amazing to think how much farther he could have got.

13. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

After reading some earlier comments, I was afraid the sacd might sound like some of Dexter Gordon’s “Radioland” recordings. But it’s a wonderful thing when the experience surpasses your expectations. Either way, the master tape is old, and getting older, so I doubt we’ll ever hear a better version than MoFi’s sacd. As far as I’m concerned, it’s money well spent. Ok, I admit to knocking a couple dbs off the treble, but that’s it!

14. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

I think what Mr. Steve is trying to say (between the lines as usual) is that the silly old $10.00 regular Fantasy CD DID knock off some of that top end screech.

15. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

I’m still workin’ on that between-the-lines thang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.