Mogami cables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by motorcitydave, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I use them. I started a thread on these at one time.

3. motorcitydave

Oh. ok. Thanks, Geoff. Do you have the link to your thread?

4. Metralla

5. motorcitydave

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Mogami is commonly used professionally. I consider them at the very top of cabling, along with Canare and Belden. Industry-reference.

Mogami is much smaller has far fewer offerings than Canare (Japan) or Belden (USA) which offer endless variety (particularly Belden which makes everything you could ever imagine).

If you want cable designed by and for engineers to get out of the way, any of the above are great choices. If you want audiophile cabling designed "by-ear," better to look elsewhere.

7. motorcitydave

Thanks. What I was thinking of doing is...getting the Mogami, and selling off these high-priced FM Acoustics interconnects I'm using. Then putting that money into my speakers fund. Would I lose any quality??

8. ChrisWiggles

I don't get into cabling discussions. My philosophy is that if you can hear the difference between cables (which aren't going far), than at least one is poorly designed or inappropriate for the application/distance. And I don't let any boutique brands touch my system.

Others have a different perspective and I respect that, so my universal suggestion is to test/listen yourself in your own system. YMMV and all that.

Cables made with Mogami/Belden/Canare stock are extremely affordable, so it should be pretty easy to spend a weekend and go back and forth between the two with a friend(blinded) and see if you can hear any differences.

9. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. Sounds good. I can free up quite a bit of cash by selling the FM Acoustics cables. Just a thought here...because I'd say a better speaker would make a bigger difference than these high priced interconnects.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

David,

Mogami cables are pro studio cables. You might find them pretty boring for home use unless your system is already tweaked enough.

I use them on my pro gear in my studio, they have no sound. Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes that is a bad thing. In your case I think you better try some first before you do anything you might regret.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Never heard the Mogami but I have bought Belden for my system. I was very disappointed in how my music sounded.

12. motorcitydave

Ok, thanks Steve. I intend to do that. These are just thoughts rolling through my head.

13. motorcitydave

Yeah, I had the Belden speaker cable for years. I got the Bryston cable recently, and voila better sound overall!

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I use the Mogami Gold line in my studio for all of my mic and monitor cabling. As Steve said...no influence on the sound so if you're one of those guys striving for a transparent sound then they might be for you.

15. ChrisWiggles

To each his own. I've tested cables before, and I have never been able to pass any kind of trial on normal cables at normal distances (nor has anyone else I've tested), so until I do I can only go from what I know myself.

If I can't tell the difference on $20K Opus MM cables and an extension cord, I'll spend my money elsewhere until I can prove to myself that there is a difference there.

I just want to be open about my own perspective, so others in the 'cables make a big difference' camp can take my opinions with a grain of salt, that's all.

My opinions are open to change, as they have with vinyl. But as of today 2012, I am still of the opinion that a cable that sounds different is a bad or broken cable, or you're going too far with the signal.

As always my .02, and feel free to spend your dollar elsewhere. :cheers:

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I agree 100%. I see all three in use at every facility in LA. I'm a big fan of Canare star-quad, but there are equivalents from Mogami, and I don't think there's any real audible difference (assuming identical gauge and construction). Belden I don't see as often, but it is the #1 choice for video cable all over LA, though most of that is now CAT-5 and CAT-6.

:thumbsup:

I've pointed out to people here before that it's interesting that at $3 million-$4 million recording studios and film sound stages in LA, they're not running out and buying $5000 speaker cables or $300 AC cables. They just buy very high quality off-shelf stuff from Belden, Canare, or Mogami, wire it well, ground everything properly, get good power, and spend most of the money on making the room itself sound good and quiet. The cables are a buck a foot at best, and the connectors are maybe $5 each, if that; nothing special.

It's amusing to me to reflect that there are people on the net reviewing Blu-ray discs using systems that have far more expensive cables than the people who actually made the movie.

russk likes this.
  17. motorcitydave

I will try them out and see. :)

18. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

I use them for AES/EBU digital connects and find no sound coloring

with a comparable product (Monster Cable 1000i balanced) in another use for amplified monitors, there seemed to be a bit more warmth, rolled-off high-end

19. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

I thought I read once that Beldon was the top maker for studio "built in" cabling. I assume they mean built into the walls with inputs/ouput terminals at various places. Also, if the top studios use the mentioned cables, then I cannot see any negatives for home system use (I'm not an engineer). I prefer neutral (or my idea off neutral). Then I can use speaker placement, tone controls, etc for minor taste adjustments.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Check the connections! I bet if you jiggle them enough, you'll get sound.

Unless you mean...

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've made interconnects out of Canare Star-Quad for years. I've also made unshielded interconnects from Van den Hul silver-clad copper crystal and have interconnects on hand from Audioquest, MIT and Monster. Not high-end examples mind you. In case, I'm happiest with the Canare interconnects, they are the most neutral, least editoralizing of my interconnects. The Van den Hul diy interconnects are more of a tone control, much like cranking up the treble. The Monster and MIT are more like turning down the treble, the Audioquest is close to plain vanilla with a tad more bottom.

22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I have Mogami cabling running from my Bryston prepro to my amps. No complaints here.

23. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I use Mogami stock with Neutrik connectors for practically ever cable here. We used Mogami in broadcast and virtually all decent studios I have been in use it..so if it's good enough from them...well....I can't really ever see a day when any so called "audiophile" cables will be on my list....

VP

24. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

25. Metralla

The above link at Guitar Center is for "Mogami Gold Neglex Quad Microphone Cable for Studio Neutrik" and should be the same internal wire as what I purchased from Markertek.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Aud...Nec-Cables-Connectors/MSC1-5XXJ.xhtml?MSC6XXJ

Free shipping from Guitar Center when over $50, although a 2m pair I bought was under that and would not have qualified - Markertek charge $10.

There is more info on the Markertek site - more specific information.

The Mogami trade name "NEGLEX type Quad Microphone Cables" applies to two model numbers:

Part No.2534 - Reference Standard NEGLEX Quad High Definition Mic. Cable
    Part No.2893 - Miniature Quad Superflexible Mic. Cable

(NEGLEX is Mogami's OFC wire)

Mogami catalogue:

ftp://ftp.mogami-wire.co.jp/pub/mit/catalog.pdf

You want the 2534 part - and it looks like that's what Guitar Center are selling, although they could say that part number.

They both use Neutrik XLRs but Markertek's are the heavy-duty jobs. Markertek cables are distributed by TecNec

http://www.tecnec.com/Product.asp?b...AUDIOCAB&prodClass=AXLRXLR&mfg=&search=0&off=

although it's unclear who makes them.

Personally, I chose Markertek since they have a wider range of goodies more in line with my hobbies (I don't play guitar) although there is a Guitar Center only 1 mile from my house. Had I known they were the same, I may have just walked over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.