Molly Tuttle, young Goddess of the legendary George Shuffler Stanley Bros.Crosspicking guitar style.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

She is amazing, so young, so gifted!

Crosspicking is a technique that all flatpicking guitar players have used dating back to the legendary Stanley Brothers in the late 1950s. The style, sort of a bridge between Ralph and Carter Stanley so they could catch their breath between verses. Molly Tuttle is (in my opinion) the best at this, a real gem of a player.

Watch her first solo in this great video. Taste, talent, speed, modesty. Quite a winning package.

molly tuttle.jpg

2. Steve Hoffman

Vintage George Shuffler style crosspicking at its finest.

3. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing this, Steve. It's prompted me to research a bit. She's crazy talented.

4. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I've been watching her all morning. She really picked up on this old time player's style. Here is the actual George Shuffler on lead guitar with the Stanley Brothers. One of Carter Stanley's greatest songs, Rank Stranger. Carter died young, a great loss.

5. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

That's some great picking there all around! She's new to me, thanks for the introduction.

MikaelaArsenault and garrincha like this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

What a talented group of musicians! Tuttle's style is kinda halfway between a guitar and a banjo.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

7. Steve Hoffman

I don't expect many people to read this thread. Just trying to get the names Molly Tuttle and George Shuffler picked up by the search engines. Trying to give her a boost. She deserves it.

8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

9. Steve Hoffman

"Two down, one up," that's right, George. Hard to do!

10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Hey, some of us are interested in more than just The Beatles and appreciate it. This is the stuff why I come here, thanks

11. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

Wow - very impressed.

12. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Wow she is very talented! Real nice voice too!

13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Love the sound of that Martin....

lightbulb likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, me too.

Here is a different Martin style (D-45 Madi Tree), different sound, same player. Dig that bottom D that she rattles. My D-42 sounds like this. I think it's all the shell inlay stuff changes the sound to that funky fuzz.

15. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks!

16. Andrew1967

Andrew1967 Forum Resident

There was nice cover story with an interview and cross picking lesson with her in the April issue of Acoustic Guitar.

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah that seems a bit more warm than the more neutral sounding D-18 as heard in the other clip but that could be in the recordings. Both sound great!

18. Steve Hoffman

Good for her. People are beginning to notice. Next thing she'll switch to electric and start doing Kinks riffs.

19. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I agree, although I do love the Beatles bigly. I actually initially came here to the SH forums looking for info not on the Fabs, but on the Louvin Brothers CD our host compiled and mastered. There's lots to love in the wide, wide world of music!

20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks for the introduction to her. Will spend some time enjoying this talent.

rkt88 and melstapler like this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I was completely unaware of her. Some great playing, very clean and I love that beautiful Martin guitar tone.

McLover and lightbulb like this.
  22. Andrew1967

Andrew1967 Forum Resident

It's a nice write up and she gives a very effective basic lesson. She actually recommends practicing the right hand technique on open strings, which makes sense given that that style of playing is so dependent on concise patterns with the right hand.

23. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Thanks Steve, for the heads up. Awesome!

24. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

It's really cool that you should bring up Molly because I just heard of her this morning while following a Bryan Sutton feed on Facebook. I hadn't heard of her before that.

Here's Molly playing with Bryan:

The Killer, deany76 and lightbulb like this.
  25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I love hearing those deep solid notes;
    It gave me the chills.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.