Monarch Delta Numbers for LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frank Daniels, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Monarch pressed both "Elton John" and "Tumbleweed Connection," but did they press any more of Elton's early albums? Has anyone found Monarch's of "11-17-70," "Madman Across The Water," or "Honky Chateau?" And if Monarch didn't press those albums for the west coast, then what pressing plant did?

2. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

My Tumbleweed is a Monarch. I knew that Uni used that plant but I was surprised to find it, and on the east coast to boot. But, I've never seen the others as Monarchs. My Elton John and Madman are both Decca/MCA Pickneyville.

Matty Mc likes this.
  3. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

I have the original '70 Pickneyville press of "Elton John" too and I think it sounds just a little bit better than the Monarch. My pressing has a Monarch job number though! Does yours? Mine has Delta 15012.

4. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

No.. I thought I had the Uni Elton John, but its an MCA Black Rainbow. They must have done recuts or used other plates that weren't prepared for Monarch by the time they had that label. My Madman is an original Uni, though.

5. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

My Monarch copy of Stealers Wheel has delta 17628 on side 2 as listed in your spreadsheet, but side 1 has delta 17609. My copy of Ferguslie Park has monarch delta 18455 on both sides, it's not on your spreadsheet.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  6. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Hmm.. my Stealers Wheel s/t has 17609 on both sides. I think I provided it to Frank a few months back. Interesting there is a different number for side 2 on your copy. They must have done a replate or even a re-cut. Something must have happened to the 17609 side 2.

7. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Duane Eddy, The "Twangs" the "Thang", Jamie JLP 70-3009, delta 2123 both sides

8. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Jesse Winchester, s/t, Ampex A-10104, delta 14655

Raynie likes this.
  9. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

hmmm....it's been almost a month since @Frank Daniels has been to the forums.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

11. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

@Frank Daniels

This may give confirmation one way or the other whether those early Pacific Jazz LPs I posted numbers for some time back are really Monarchs or not.
    Spinning a copy of this right now: Chet Baker, Sings and Plays with Bud Shank, Russ Freeman and Strings. PJ-1202.

Chet Baker - Sings And Plays With Bud Shank, Russ Freeman And Strings
    • Matrix / Runout: PJLP 602 D-1 ∆3268-12
    • Matrix / Runout: PJLP 603 D-1 ∆3269-12
    This LP is from '55. My guess is those numbers are in the Monarch 45 sequence but with -12 appended, as if they hadn't started a sequence for LPs yet. Or, if the numbers wouldn't conform to '55 maybe this confirms these Pacific LPs aren't Monarchs.

Raynie likes this.
  12. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Billy Vaughn - A Current Set Of Standards
    Dot Records DLP 25882
    Delta 12210

13. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

22030/X
    Peter Gabriel (car).

14. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Found an earlier pressing of this one:

Donovan - Catch The Wind
    Hickory LPS-H-123
    Delta 9220

That would place this pressing around the summer of 1966. Still haven't found a '65 Monarch yet.

Cassius likes this.
  15. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Steve Martin - Comedy Isn't Pretty
    Warner Bros. - HS 3392
    Delta 24438

16. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Frank, I could've sworn you had this one on the list, but I guess you don't.

Ginger Baker's Airforce
    Atco SD 2-703
    Delta 14597/14598

17. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

I was just checking the pressing dates for two albums in 1970 on Frank's Monarch list, and I noticed that both are now missing! Where's Dave Mason's "Alone Together" and Blue Mountain Eagle's first album?!

18. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

My copy of this album isn't a Monarch, but I suspected that Monarch pressed it, since it's a label distributed by Famous Music Corp.

Mocedades - Eres Tu
    Tara TRS 53000
    Delta 18615

19. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Brethren - S/T
    Tiffany TFS-0013
    delta 14583

20. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Rod Stewart - Tonight I'm Yours - BSK 3602 - Delta 25356/x

This one is odd since it has both Monarch and MR written in the deadwax, but it also has a SLM (Sheffield) delta number. I would bet that it was probably plated at Sheffield Lab and then pressed by Monarch since Sheffield isn't really a pressing plant, but more of a plating facility.

21. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Luiz Bonfá - Bonfá
    Dot DLP-25881
    delta 12165

22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Hoyt Axton - Life Machine
    A&M SP-3604
    delta 18513

This one's a Canadian pressing, so more imported stampers. Wonder if all Canadian issues used the Monarch parts.

23. Matty Mc

Matty Mc Forum Resident

Does ANYONE out there have a nice original near mint Monarch pressing of Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends" they'd like to sell? Why are these copies so hard to find?!?!

24. Frank Daniels

Frank Daniels Forum Resident Thread Starter

Time to do some updating of the list.

Cassius likes this.
  25. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Charles Lloyd - Forest Flower
    Atlantic SD 1473
    delta 10047