Monkee predictions for 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hutch, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really only started this thread because I thought of something funny yet plausible:
    Nez will be a part of the tour IF he has his bio finished and ready to hock by then. Check back here to see if I'm correct. ;)

Anyway what are your predictions? Anything. Set list changes. Merch. New releases. Andrew, Aviva, and family members' participation. Jones family involvement. (I really wish Annabell would sub for her father on this tour. Would be excellent :cool:).

Oh yeah, and can we get this Auntie's Municipal Court petition/meme thing going? Facebook, twitter, meet n greets, solo gigs, duo gigs, let's do this. :cheers:

Please keep in mind this a thread dedicated to 50th Ann speculation.

2. 905

905 Senior Member

Prediction- Nez will wait until 2017 to tour with Micky and Peter again just to have fun with the fans who will get feisty on facebook.
    And that tour will celebrate fifty years of HQ and PAC. (Sure, they covered those songs already in past tours, but it's what they and the band know.)
    I predicted this in another thread.

marmalade, Keith V and cwitt1980 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm predicting the release of "More of.." Deluxe, bluray Series set with deleted scenes and a short tour with all three. Nez Family included. And Sandoval. But doubt the Jones' will participate. Hope there's much more!!

Jimmy B., JDistheone and bababooey like this.
  4. Hutch

:faint: (But please don't be just upscales.)

I think if they do release this it'll be limited edition for reelz.

5. Hutch

I think Nez is done with Facebook...at least until he has a ware to hock. So, perhaps...
    I also think Nez is the one who wants a change in the set list most. He seems the most impatient with the same ol', same ol'.

marmalade likes this.
  6. Gilbert Matthews

Gilbert Matthews Forum Resident

2016 will bring the DVD release of the long-lost Changes tour documentary and Nez will resurrect the "Popclips" show in an effort to bring westcoast AOR/adult contemporary music back to the masses.

Okay, I'll be serious now! Nez will join Micky and Peter for a tour, but it will only be in no more than 10 metro markets. Nez will then announce that he will be permanently working on solo projects. Micky and Peter will get an offer to do an acoustic album.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Hutch

Fixed. The Deluxe has already been released. :winkgrin: (The first four will be the only ones to get both deluxe AND super deluxe editions.)

D-rock likes this.
  8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Peter is pretty damn talented as a musician, they gotta figure out how to play that up a bit more, the monkees songs don't do him justice

9. Hutch

I'll see your 10 Metro shows and raise you 20...5. 25 US. The Nez brood will push pops to give one last Monkees hurrah!

monkees paw likes this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Respectfully, I hate this idea.

Mark Nelson, marc with a c and D-rock like this.
  11. Hutch

Luckily for you it would never, ever happen. Personally I think her versions of I Wanna Be Free & Daydream Believer would be incredibly poignant.

monkees paw likes this.
  12. BadJack

Who knows! However, if she were to join the backing band like Christian Nesmith, I'd have no objection at all.

Mark Nelson, Scope J and D-rock like this.
  13. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

What is this meme/ petition you speak of? Auntie's Municipal Court is hands down my fave Monkees song.

marmalade, PhoffiFozz and monkees paw like this.
  14. Gilbert Matthews

Gilbert Matthews Forum Resident

Believe me, I hope you're right. If the press can help make the anniversary a big deal, then I'm sure Nez will stick around a while longer.

15. Hutch

No name yet. Over the last two years fans have personally asked Nez about including this song in the set (myself included). He told me he was up for it, the band tried it and that Dolenz vetoed it. I'm thinking they should do the Mike's Vocal version which has Nez doing the first two verses, Dolenz doing the third and Tork doing his psychedelic babble at the end. I feel they have a big enough band to pull this off, especially with Coco Dolenz doing backing vocals. So I've proposed we fans make a meme of this from here on out: making gifs, Facebook posts, mentioning it to the band (especially Dolenz) at meet n greets, etc until it gets notice by Rhino/Andrew/the band and gets some sort of nod and wink. Basically a running gag from fans until next year. Stranger things have happened...

p.s. you've good taste. (It's also hands down my fav Monkee tune. :cheers: )

16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Should I give up hope of ever seeing a legit release of some of their late 90s UK shows?

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think Peter's talent as a musician is a bit overstated actually.
    He can play some banjo but he wouldn't cut it in a hot bluegrass band
    He can play some classical piano, but he does it a bit stiffly and would never have had a career doing that
    He can rip a decent guitar solo, but I know non famous people personally who can do it better
    He gets the job done on bass and keys in a rock context.
    As an instrumentalist he kind of fills the jack of all trades master of none bill if you ask me.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I grant you he's the best instrumentalist in the Monkees - and I'm not dissing the Monkees, I love the Monkees - but what I love about them is their songs and singing not their instrumental virtuosity.
    OK, I don't love Peter's singing either - but I like his quirky songs and sense of humor, and his banjo playing is pretty cool

My prediction is that Nez is done with The Monkees at this point. And I'm ok with that. He did like 3-4 tours in 2 years with them and a couple solo tours in that time, right?
    That's 6 more tours than I ever thought Nesmith had in him 3 years ago.

18. readr

readr Forum Resident

We will get the MOTM Super Deluxe Box Set and the Dolenz solo collection LP. And, that's it folks.

Mr Hankey likes this.
  19. BadJack

I don't think that Nesmith will ever say outright that he's done, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if he skips future touring. You have to remember that he also bagged his last solo tour, so maybe he just wants to work on other things after 2-3 years of pretty intense travel for a guy in his 70's that hadn't been on the road for two decades.

And honestly, as of this moment, I'm pretty happy with what I've gotten out of these guys.

Christopher B, Lookit and Mark Nelson like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

How can you be so sure? People have been saying that there would be no more releases since the 2CD deluxe editions of the first two and look what we've gotten since then?

melstapler likes this.
  21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I predict they'll turn Head into a stage musical and add other Monkees songs to it.

marmalade likes this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

There will be a 50th Anniversary tour with Nez.
    They will shock everyone when the setlist includes "Writing Wrongs" with Micky reciting "Shorty Blackwell" during the instrumental middle.

CMcGeek, wayne66, BobT and 1 other person like this.
  23. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

The thing that's frustrating me about this thread is that we are disregarding that Micky explicitly stated in print that Nez was taking off but WOULD be returning in 2016.

I do not say that with any kind of delusional fervor, mind you- if he doesn't, I'm with BadJack- I got to see Nez in 2012 and it was fabulous- but, this *was* stated. So, Peter says that Nez didn't do this tour- THIS tour. It's not this massive crisis. Micky has not contradicted himself about a 50th Anniversary Show, and Nez is doing Chiller Theater and certainly didn't seem burnt out discussing Monkees in interviews, so... it's all some weird speculation.

As for "Auntie's" that's not Tork doing anything at the end. (re: "psychedelic babble at the end") That's Micky saying "here we go again, here we go again" and "flying, I'm flying"

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

They'll do a 50th Anniversary Tour and possibly some UK shows and gauge media attention. I personally thought The Monkees made an error by not parlaying the long overdue critical respect they received during the 2012 show by playing on Jimmy Fallon and whatnot, but that's just me. It seemed silly to restrict it to concerts only but perhaps that's a Nez decision. The original statement was that they took this year off, but then Mick & Pete did some one-offs, and that's all their doing, adding gigs because there will always be a respectful demand. I think at this point, based on things he stated in 2012-2013, Nez is aware of a critical legacy for The Monkees and the time apart this year was exactly what he needed TO muster up his enthusiasm to rejoin again. It's like, had he been around now, he won't be around then- so, stepping away for a bit was essential to his long-term status with the band. It will all work out.

bluejeanbaby, wayne66 and D-rock like this.
  25. Hutch

Assuming the Jones' are the one with the footage/rights, perhaps. I know Jones himself wanted to put it out but he was probably waiting for the right time/deal. Too bad Friday Music probably didn't have the means to make an offer.

melstapler, Grand_Ennui and rswitzer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.