Monkees 50th Anniversary Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, Peter Tork just posted on Facebook a couple of dates for the Monkees 50th Anniversary Tour with this photo:
    [​IMG]

Looks like a Mike-less tour which I kind of suspected. Anyway, I thought a new thread of the tour and reactions to shows, etc was needed.

D-rock and yellowballoon like this.
  2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Not interested if Mike isn't involved.

3. BeatleStair

Yeah, its not ideal for sure but I still think it will be a good show and I'll go if it comes close. I'm hoping they do a few new deep cuts to boot

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

5. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Do I wish Mike was involved? Of course. However, I'd go see a show billed as "Micky Dolenz w/ special guest Peter Tork" so I'm in if they come to CO.

6. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

The Monkees ceased to exist for me when Davy died.

7. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Wow, what a massive disappointment if Mike is not involved with this. I knew a couple of shows had been booked as a duo, but I was still holding out hope that the "proper" 50th tour would be all 3.

D-rock likes this.
  8. BeatleStair

I guess it still could turn into that but it looks more and more unlikely. Maybe he will do a show or two around September which is the 50th anniversary of the shows premiere but it looks like he won't be doing a full tour probably.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm going next Saturday. FREE show. Haven't seen Mickey and Peter in a long time. And yes, wish Mike was on this tour. Christ....it's the 50th Anniversary of the band!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I hope you're able to post about how it was: I think people'd like to know what to expect from the Micky and Peter show this time around... (I know I'd like to know about their 2016 shows, though the chances of me going are slim to none-Not sure if they'll be in the area and probably couldn't swing tickets anyway...)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  11. Grand_Ennui

That's how I feel about it too... I hope they come to my state so I at least have a small chance of being able to see them: I'd like to see them at least once more before they pack it in... (I've only seen them once, back in '89!)

rswitzer likes this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I attended one of the Micky & Peter Monkees shows last year and it was excellent. They brought back the acoustic set and performed Midnight Train with Micky's sister Coco. Andrew Sandoval compiled the video presentation which included several rarities. Nesmith was represented with several songs as was Davy with Micky singing the lead vocals on A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You. (Also the title of my Monkees book, shameless plug! :whistle:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/14961...5550&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=fred+velez

It was a great show and it's in keeping with the many different configurations of the Monkees over the years. Yes, it's disappointing that Nesmith is not on this leg of the tour, but it doesn't mean that there won't be a second leg around September closer to the actual 50th anniversary.

So, don't let Nesmith's no show right now deter you from going to see a fun show and enjoy the Monkees 50th anniversary and keep your fingers crossed for September! ;)

13. Grand_Ennui

^^^^ Sounds like a good show FredV... ^^^^

BeatleStair likes this.
  14. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Here's another plug for Fred's book. I bought/read it and it is excellent!

FredV likes this.
  15. 905

905 Senior Member

Peter and Micky have already been touring together, I saw them last August.
    This is a continuation of that. As far as this fall, no official word about Mike or not.

And as I wrote in the other thread that's full of speculation, even if Mike doesn't tour this one he can another year. Years are just numbers.

For instance, the 36th anniversary of The River here, but Springsteen is celebrating its birthday now with the box set and tour instead of doing it in 2010.

wayne66 likes this.
  16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Thank you Sir, so pleased you liked it! :righton:

[​IMG]

melstapler, rswitzer and 905 like this.
  17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'll see what I can do. My wife wanted me to go EARLY. Sorry, not siting through a lot of crap I don't want to see or listen to. I'm within walking distance of the venue, and with the parades in full swing, NO THANKS. They don't roll until 6 but the cars will be cramming up to get close. Still surprised they're coming here and doing a free show. Maybe Family Gras has more clout than I thought. Seeing Doctor John, The Monkees and Johnny Rivers on 3 days. Gotta see them!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I think there's another factor that has been alluded to but folks don't really want to say out loud and that's the state of Nesmith's health. Remember that he had recently canceled a solo tour, and though not really stated, perhaps health may have been a reason. Remember that Nez underwent cataract surgery some years to restore his eye vision.

With the recent passings of folks like David Bowie and Paul Kantor and in the Monkees family of Bill Martin, I think we should cut Nesmith some slack and hope he is doing well. His well being is much more important than whether he does a tour or not.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That doesn't mean anything in terms of overall health. Cataracts are a really common thing and it's one of the easiest surgeries around.

Upsiditus likes this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The cataracts were successfully taken care of. I still remember folks botching because Nez wasn't on the 2011 tour, and even if he wanted to do it them, he was legally blind around that time and physically couldn't do it.

My point is that there might be other health issues that might be a factor at the moment.

21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Well, at least, the version of The Monkees that included Davy.

22. BeatleStair

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike does get together in some fashion with Micky and Peter to celebrate the 50th - a one off or a few shows? - but it seems less likely he'll do a big tour. Who knows, may be wrong.

But it does seem more likely that at least Micky and Peter may record a few new tunes which I'm all for! Andrew S said on Facebook he's very happy with the songs Andy Partridge submitted so that's a good sign. I have a feeling Mike would be less inclined to participate on those terms for new music but weirder things have happened. I'd still love to hear some new jangly, '60s vibed Monkees recordings for the 50th. Why not?!!

Tord, Grand_Ennui, dangiedr and 2 others like this.
  23. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I haven't seen them since all four played Bournemouth in 1997. I felt that was the pinnacle, and anything afterwards would be a disappointment. But I do regret not seeing Micky, Davy and Peter when they were together in the UK for the last time in 2011. If any of The Monkees come this way again I might reconsider my 'never again' decision.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Yep, sure wasn't the Monkees without one or more members.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

It's certainly unprecedented for a band to continue without key members.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.