Monkees fan thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Sep 21, 2018.

1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

What’s your favorite song off Justus? Mine would be Never Enough, second would be It’s Not Too Late! Great songwriting efforts from Micky and David

Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  2. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Toss up between Oh What A Night and You And I. Pete's bass playing is killer on both.

3. RedRoseSpeedway

Definitely! Makes me wish he played bass on Headquarters too :/

Hep Alien and Deano6 like this.
  4. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Yes, a simple, yet touching song. Unlike "Me Without You", "Just a Game" has never gotten old to me. I love Micky's songwriting contributions to The Monkees

Hep Alien and Sammy Banderas like this.
  5. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I'm sure Mike was nervous performing in front of Johnny Cash.

I prefer the Missing Links version, myself

6. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I love the 3 disc deluxe editions of their albums. So many gems, like this Mike-vocal version of "Auntie's Municipal Court"

7. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Just downloaded that one a few weeks ago. Such a lovely song. :righton:

I didn't realize until recently Davy recorded a version as well.

Normally a Davy fan, but this is definitely a Mike song all the way (although Davy's version is sweet).

8. RedRoseSpeedway

Wow I like this a lot! There’s still a ton of bonus Monkees content I haven’t heard yet

Brian Mc and Sammy Banderas like this.
  9. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

My favs on Justus - Admiral Mike, You and I, Regional Girl.

I generally think the heavy guitar sound does not suit the Monkees. Despite that, I like most of the track on this album. It took me years to get into this album. When I first bought it, I played it just a few times. Several years later, I grew to like it much more.

10. 905

905 Senior Member

I maintain strongly that Justus is a fine, fine album.

Never Enough and It's Not Too Late :thumbsup:

I've said before on the forum that young people have side three of The Wall for solace, and middle aged people have Justus.

joy stinson and Hep Alien like this.
  11. 905

905 Senior Member

Speaking of Justus, I just watched some of the 1996 Billboard show again on YouTube. Has this ever seen official release? All four Monkees cook on it.
    (Though gradually Mike disguises himself in a cap and sunglasses.)

joy stinson and Hep Alien like this.
  12. RedRoseSpeedway

No I don’t believe so! I believe I’ve seen the whole thing, they did very well on it

Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  13. Hadean75

So, I'm (still) slowly making my way through their catalog. I've always had a variation of their greatest hits, but this is the first time I've dug deep into their catalog.

I've now listened to:
    • The Monkees
    • More of the Monkees
    • Headquarters
    • Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd
    • Instant Replay
    Up next (hopefully soon): The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees

Now that I've listened to a bit more, it is definitely much harder to rank their albums lol. :agree:

905 likes this.
  14. MisterNines

MisterNines American

At the time I saw him in Oliver at The Muny, I thought that might be my only chance to ever see him. But then I never thought I'd end up seeing Nez multiple times!

905 likes this.
  15. RedRoseSpeedway

What does everyone think of Christmas Party? I think there’s a lot of great songs on it! My favorite would be Christmas Party. Overall just very happy to have another Monkees album!

16. MisterNines

MisterNines American

We are always grateful to have new product from this most unique band ever formed.

I haven't received my copy yet.

Without ever having heard a single note, here's my review:

There is an uneven quality to the album as a whole, but three of the tracks are among the best they've ever recorded - well-produced, strong blend of talents and the air of inspired collaboration.

MarkTheShark and bvb1123 like this.
  17. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Yes, same. Maybe a tie between "Christmas Party " and "House of the Broken Gingerbread." I think with more listens I could easily choose another track as my favorite.

After I get my copy from Target and a few more weeks pass, I will share more of my thoughts here.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

hmm... I might order this Boyce & Hart CD. Other than DJBH, I do not have any Boyce & Hart albums.

19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I enjoy both Instant Reply and Present very much and probably equally. I really wish Peter had stayed with them longer to be a part of those great albums.

20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I would say the first four are their most consistent as "albums" per se -- the songs on the "Head" soundtrack mostly sound like they all fit together, and it has some of their best music, but the juxtaposition with dialogue, effects and noise from the movie really doesn't sustain multiple listenings as a whole IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Also after the fourth album, they "lose the plot" as a band and the rest of the albums become, for all intents and purposes, compilations of their solo work. This in itself isn't a bad thing -- some of their best songs are on those albums -- but they are all over the place as far as style, arrangement, musical personnel, and even genre of music. They really don't sound like the work of one band, or act, because they really aren't. But as I said, there is still some good stuff to be found.

Wait until you delve into the "unreleased" stuff that ended up on the Missing Links compilations. It rewrites their whole history as far as their music is concerned.

Enjoy!

joy stinson, Hep Alien and Hadean75 like this.
  21. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I will never tire of the HEAD soundtrack. Sound effects, dialogue, and all.

I had the album (on cassette) in 1986 at least a few months before actually seeing the film. Intriguing, and mysterious, to say the least. I was not disappointed when I finally saw the movie.

22. 905

905 Senior Member

I strongly maintain that Changes is a fine album.
    Yes, it has one foot in the old past, and one foot in the present time it's from. (Kind of like the Donna Reed Show, where the first episode the Eisenhower era is still in full swing, and by the last episode Highway 61 Revisited was the latest Dylan album.) On Changes, you have some songs that would be snug on Don Kirshner's More of the Monkees, and then you have the Dolenz penned Midnight Train that should have been on a Monkees 1969 album. But I like it.

23. Hadean75

The first four albums are definitely very strong and consistent. Some absolutely fantastic material. :agree:

And I loved Instant Replay. A great album imo. :)

I've heard bits and pieces of their some of their other albums, and I'm looking forward to hearing them in their entirety as well as well as their unreleased stuff. :agree:

MarkTheShark and 905 like this.
  24. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I feel that Monkees RECORDS - Headquarters; PACJ; Birds, Bees; Head - can exist in the same category as contemporaneous records by Jefferson Airplane.

Hep Alien, PhoffiFozz and 905 like this.
  25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Monkees album, everything including from the later reunion era and Missing Links is high quality of course; worth hearing and having. And for myself solo Nes, '60s Boyce & Hart, and the pre-Monkees sides are essential too. I think I drew the line though for myself at a deluxe three disc Head however. I think there are some genuinely poor albums by equally big name acts, but I've been happy with everything Monkees from original Colgems/RCA to Rhino vinyl and CD.

Hep Alien and RobRoyF like this.