Monkees Live 1967 Friday Music LP from 2016. How good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.K. Baxter, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.K. Baxter

J.K. Baxter Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the ancient 1987 CD of Live 1967, and the sound isn't exactly the best. I've heard some up and down about Friday's Monkees LPs, but not a lot about this one. Any firsthand reviews? I think I'm curious enough to pull the trigger on this one.

2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Not great. Your Rhino CD sounds better. It just wasn't a stunning recording to begin with, and the folks at Rhino did the best they could with the source material.

If you feel you really need to have it on LP, get a copy of the original Rhino. Lacks the solo numbers, but it is of much better quality than the Friday.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. J.K. Baxter

Drat. I was hoping to hear better things. But...but...colored vinyl!:shake:

4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Agreed, colored vinyl seals the deal for me a lot of the times -- but...at Friday's prices... :shake:

Don't get me wrong, I still grabbed it for the collection, but it's just not worth the money.

J.K. Baxter likes this.
  5. J.K. Baxter

Well, if I have the extra money to burn, it might still happen, but now I'll absolutely temper any expectations. I knew the source material couldn't sound all that great.

6. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Plus, cramming an hour of music onto a single LP is never a great idea for sound quality.

7. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I heard the original LP wasn't great sounding compared 2 CD or even cassette

8. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I found it for $20 so I picked it up. No need for this to be on colored vinyl. Why red? Because of their logo? I would have prefered traditional black.

It has the extra solo songs with the backing band, which is a nice addition, but you can then hear a massive contrast between when The Monkees are playing and when the backup band is playing.
    Sound quality doesn't really suffer in the case of putting 58min of music on one record because the source material isn't that great to begin with and that includes the Monkees playing abilities.

After playing it, I can honestly say, I'll have no idea when I'll want to play it again. We all know it's extremely rough around the edges. The girls screaming actually masks some pretty sloppy playing and off tune singing. Overall, especially once you hit side 2, it's not an enjoyable listening experience to me.

BUT, it is HISTORY and that is what gives it merit. The Monkees wanted to prove to the world, they could play and THIS is the documentation that they did.

I would NEVER recommend this album to a casual fan. But if you have over 5 Monkee albums in your collection. You're a big enough fan to own this.

9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

My copy's orange/gold, actually. There's definitely a huge loss in fidelity, though! You simply can't put 58 minutes of music on one record without that happening. The source material sounds pretty good, all things considered -- despite the raggedness of their performance. The 1988 CD is far superior, as is the 1987 Rhino LP (which omits the solo segments).

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.