Monkees New Christmas Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfmlaugh, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Here's the song "Snowfall" mentioned in the article. Nice chords and melody, wouldn't mind hearing Nez' interpretation of it. Also wouldn't mind a different arrangement, the one above isn't really Monkees, more Bing Crosby ;)

Hep Alien and bRETT like this.
  2. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

THAT I would love to hear! Big Squeeze fan!

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

So this is how they go out. Hopefully there are enough originals so they can all have whatever surgeries they need done.

action pact, DanofDune, 905 and 2 others like this.
  4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Now THAT is a funny Post...well done!!! :)

popscene likes this.
  5. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Has anyone actually clicked on the link? The headline reads like it means 'No, not The Monkees' and all I can see is a few paragraphs and it seems to be talking about The First National Band.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  6. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Having had some time for this to sink in, at best this could become one favorite Christmas albums which would be a Welcome surprise, and really with the right arrangements and Micky's killer voice that's a serious possibility, or at worst it could be underwhelming. There's multiple avenues to make Christmas albums and my hope is that they don't go all Santa Claus on me. There's a lot of great Christmas albums out there, even though people will disagree as to which ones those are (i.e., I disagree with the ones previously mentioned).

The Monkees did great with"Riu Chiu". The potential is there.

Now, Bring on the Official Announcement so that we can have more details! Too early to pass judgment at this point

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Yes, read the full story. The Christmas album is discussed at the end

DaveJ likes this.
  8. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I LOVE Christmas music and I LOVE the Monkees. I'm all in on this one!

9. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Ah, I missed the 'continue reading' link. The headline is really bad writing. It makes you think "No this is not about The Monkees' only to have it turn out to be about them at the end. I'm annoyed at the writer of the article more than anything writing a misleading headline.

Brian Mc likes this.
  10. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

It's a preview of the FNB show next week that happens to mention what he's up to with his more famous band at the end. The headline's fine.

Hep Alien and BadJack like this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

To be fair, it's a little off in that the headline jokes that The Monkees aren't back together only to end speaking about their reunion album.

Boognish and dave9199 like this.
  12. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also wouldn’t be supposed to getting an expanded version of this to include The MTV Christmas Medley, Christmas Is My Time Of Year, White Christmas, Riu Chiu, Deck The Halls and any other ratites...

Hep Alien and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. Boognish

Are there any known Davy Christmas songs that they could use, ala "Love to Love" from "Good Times"?

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  14. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Davy recorded an entire holiday album on his own. Shouldn't be too hard to change the arrangements and add some Monkees harmonies. There is a lot of material to choose from.

15. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

I hope they call it 'The Monkees Present' to confuse and annoy us all.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Christmas album was discussed here last year-- at the time it seemed that Rhino had floated the idea but they and the Monkees couldn't get together on it. Same thing with the followup album with the Squeeze song. If they HAVE come up with something, we'll know pretty soon, Christmas albums usually being in the stores by October.

Hep Alien, DanofDune and Boognish like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also the title song of Tony Bennett;'s Christmas album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

I am wondering if there is some odd cross-reporting/partial reporting going on here. Here's what we know:
    • We know that the Monkees had recorded a lot of material for Goodtimes, and not all of it was released.
    • We know that there was a follow up album discussed with a Squeeze song.
    • We know that there was some Christmas stuff discussed and recorded.
    • We know that the Monkees as individuals often can't get their act together.
    • We know that Rhino doesn't really have a clear agenda post 2016 on Monkees related materials that they are signaling to fans.
    • We know that the Bluray set was anticipated to move quickly and IS STILL FOR SALE.
    • We know that Mike officially left the Monkees in 2016 (and the 2018 tour was specifically crafted around not being a "Monkee Mike" tour, but an exploration of the Monkees music and deepcuts featuring Michael and Micky).
    I will hold off on any real anticipation until we get something official from Andrew, until then, another release is speculation not unlike the 1970's possible reunion, a follow up to Pool It, a Monkees Movie, live recordings of the 1990's - 2018 shows.

The Monkees are mercurial. Honestly, I doubt any of this sees the light of day. And, I almost hope it doesn't, as GoodTimes was a GREAT way to end the Monkees studio recording career. I am definitely up for live recordings though, as 2018's show was killer, and the recent FNB live stuff has been excellent.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    D-rock, Hep Alien, marmalade and 3 others like this.
  19. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

Do we honestly need to resurrect Davy again? That was fine on GoodTimes, but doing it more than once is kind of creepy. You don't see Paul McCartney having a duet with George or John everytime he releases an album. Plus, the Monkees have had so many configurations over their career, that a Davy song just isn't necessary for them to perform or record as "The Monkees."

Hep Alien and Boognish like this.
  20. Boognish

Did the person that wrote the article get the info about Nez' involvement from the man himself? I would consider him a credible source whether or not the music is released, we know that it at least exists.
    I do agree that "Good Times" is a good way to end it in the studio, but if they feel that there's is more to do, I welcome it regardless of quality.
    Concerning the follow up Album with the Squeeze song, I remember reading that there was some recording done in L. A. around March or April (this year or last year, I don't remember exactly).
    Something was worked on, whether we'll hear it or not remains to be seen.

21. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Got to be a pretty hardcore Monkee fan to even consider something like this.

action pact likes this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

"Who needs surprises and pajamas!...And the same thing goes for Christmas." - Nez :p

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

My only niggle here is that Jones actually has material with the band still unreleased or that actually could fit into the projects with augmentation from the other guys. I personally though his song Written in My Heart belonged on Good Times! with some participation from the other three. And the band itself always kinda worked piecemeal like that so it's a lot less sacrilegious than flying in Harrison or Lennon vocals. I honestly think there may be strife with ownership of Jones' unreleased material but your point is taken.

D-rock, Hep Alien and Boognish like this.
  24. My guess is they can use the Chip Douglas produced "B" side of "Christmas is my time of year". It's Davy singing "White Christmas".

Hep Alien, DanofDune and Pierino like this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I guess this probably counts out an HQ or Pisces set this year.

D-rock and DanofDune like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.