Monkees New Christmas Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfmlaugh, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Boognish likes this.
  2. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

For now it just lists it as a CD track listing. The site probably sells all products. I'll wait for Rhino for the official scoop..

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

If you told me a few years ago that Nez would lend his voice to Jeff Barry/Kirshner era tracks I woulda told you to GTFO. If, just a few months ago, you had told me that he'd be singing on a Monkees CHRISTMAS album I would've thrown you...out.

This band is consistently surprising if nothing else. And to be honest, I love it.:shrug:

4. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Based on the tracklist, Davy would presumably be on Silver Bells or Mele Kalikimaka (or both), since those are the only two that also appear on his solo Xmas album.

Jesus Christ is an nice choice for the Monkees to cover.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

If it’s a brand new album from scratch then I agree to leave David out of it. However, if it’s going to be like Good Times using recordings spanning 50 years then Jones MUST be on it.

7. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Or if they just use Davy's vocal tracks and then build a new backing track around them. Davy's Christmas album doesn't sound too well recorded as far as instrumentation goes, but the vocals sound fine.

8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I think it all comes down to the collaborations at this point. Judging by who has written songs for this, I’m sure it will be fine (for a Christmas album)

9. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

HECK YEAH!!!!!!!

10. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Ok, I'm getting a little more excited about this. Happy to hear there are new songs.

I'm surprised that "Riu Chiu" and "Christmas is My Time of Year" aren't listed as bonus tracks.

Also a little surprised that Peter's solo song "I Remember Christmas" isn't making it. Maybe it doesn't fit in with what appears to be shaping up as a power-pop xmas record. But it's a song that's certainly close to his heart. But this is a MONKEES album; not a Peter solo cd.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Nez singing on a Jeff Barry NY track from 1967 is still mind blowing.

AND I heard it on the radio several times. Our local public Americana station took a liking to it.

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Deluxe Edition. The Super Deluxe Edition will include Jones' Christmas album as disc 3.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

As was most of his solo work. Monkee production always make his solo tracks better, see: I'll Love You Forever, It's Not Too Late, etc.

D-rock and Hep Alien like this.
  14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Pretty excited about this! I’ll eat up anything and everything The Monkees put out so I’ll definitely preorder :righton: looks like I’ll be having a Christmas this year with a great soundtrack!

Sammy Banderas and Elliottmarx like this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Shocked they covered this, but cool.

"Mele Kelmaka" is in all likelihood the overdubbed Davy song.

And ten to one says "House of Broken Gingerbread" is the Andy Partridge contribution.

16. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

I'm really excited for this now, more so than earlier. The songwriters listed makes it sounds pretty promising. Perhaps the Squeeze song was a Christmas song after all. ;)

Sammy Banderas and Hep Alien like this.
  17. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Fingers crossed for a vinyl release!

18. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Is recording Christmas songs somehow less work than recording a regular album? Why not just do that - or is there one more to come? If Nez had to be talked into this then who exactly was excited about this idea? Having bought four copies of Good Times, I suppose I’llhold my nose and get one of these, in hopes that good sales will mean future projects (either super deluxe or an oringinal). But i doubt it will get many listens. Bah humbug.
    The live m&m disc is still coming... right?

D-rock, DaveJ and DanofDune like this.
  19. I'm looking forward to the Christmas album. It was likely easier to knock out a Christmas album than record a regular album like Good Times.

20. electricmetaphor

electricmetaphor Forum Resident

digging that Mike Allred cover!

21. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

The Monkees' Christmas album is "official" now. Monkees Live Almanac posted on 9/19/18 about the Monkees Christmas Album being listed on Amazon. The album's title is "Christmas Party." That title sounds generic to me as "Good Times" was. Release date says 10/12/18.

I don't see "Riu Chiu" on the set list. I still plan to order it.

22. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Zilch is dropping a special podcast today at 2PM Eastern...

D-rock and Brian Mc like this.
  23. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I'd guess that after the critical and commercial success of Good Times that they figured "how can we top that?" I mean, what are the chances of another "Me & Magdalena", "Accidental Hipster", etc.? They don't. So, instead of hoping for lighting striking twice, why not go the Christmas album route? Their reunion albums haven't been particularly well received outside of Good Times, IMO. I do recall Micky specifically stating, to paraphrase "how do we top that?" I think it works. I'm happy

24. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

With Peter being the blues man these days, this could very well be a Peter song, but I was just thinking that Micky could kill it: either way is fine. Guess we'll learn more from the podcast this afternoon

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Gotta agree with you. It's a great way to follow-up Good Times without all the expectations/baggage that would come with a "regular" studio album. IMO, at this point any Monkees project involving all three surviving members and Andrew Sandoval is a worthwhile project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.